No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, April 11, 2016, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Maybe this time  >:D

NO! YOU AGAIN!  :laugh:

And yes, red dreams may not be so nice  :laugh:

Remember that trading in your ship isn't actually trading it in. You just abandon it. So if you buy a 6M ship, you'll lose those 6M the next time you want to buy a "better" one. I am sitting on over 4M and can't just get my head around buying a new ship.. I hope upgrading my exosuit will do the trick, I am on 17 slots and have seen a friend's suit with already 24 slots. That adds up if you have a big ship, of course. My ship has got 22 slots I think. Bought it for 1.5M
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Here, that's where you get the info about planets
[smg id=8933 type=preview align=center caption="empty fauna"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

YES! By accident I found something interesting.. I was plotting a course back to my home (starter's) system when I came across that yet undiscovered system and rather than jumping past it, I decided to stop there. And there was that "anomaly" in space which I dared to check out. It paid off, I'd reckon, didn't it :)

[smg id=8934 type=preview align=center caption="choices"]

I made a backup of my savegame then just to be sure to be able to revert to this in case I want to.

However, I finally got what I was looking for..

[smg id=8935 type=preview align=center caption="AtlasPass v1"]

And I have to say, I came through a system discovered by a certain Tristan. So we are not completely alone out there.. I think the systems close to the Atlas path are likely to be visited by other players but not necessarily at the same time and how they got there may not necessarily have been through the same systems than we did. Still, one quintillion what, systems or planets? Anyway, astronomically small the chance to actually meet someone and he'd be really stupid to try and camp there just to screw you up. Will likely never happen.

fragger

What was the anomaly? And the undiscovered system? Not really following you there, old bean :) But I'm glad you made a breakthrough. Maybe you'll get to the centre in short order. If you do, please don't tell us what you find ^-^ I know you wouldn't, you have too much decency to spoil it for us. But if the rest of us don't make it and give up, then we might come a-knocking...

18 quintillion planets, don't know how many stars. Which is a crazy number as even a large spiral galaxy like ours "only" has a few hundred billion stars. Figure an average of ten planets per star, that's a few trillion. A trillion is only one millionth of one quintillion. Bloody hell... Maybe there are galaxies with that many planets in them, who knows.

As you suggested, I checked out the planet stats for Scarlett, indeed the category for both flora and fauna is listed as "Barren". Which is a bit odd as there are lots of plants inside the caves, and some of the caves are whopping, and in crater-like depressions in the ground. Maybe "Barren" for flora means plants that are completely on the surface.

I'm off Scarlett now, time for a change. I'm currently hanging around the space station checking out the ships. It's kind of fun watching them come and go, and checking them out when they arrive to see what they have to offer. It's a bit like shopping for a used car, actually :-() I've got just under 3 million to spend. I don't know about a 30-slot ship, I agree that may be unnecessary. Depends what one wants to do, I guess. You could certainly haul a massive amount of minerals in there.

I nearly went for a 25-slotter for 2.1 mill, and there have been a few 24-slotters around the 1.8 mill mark. I'm getting familiar with the styles of the ships, they're a pretty good indication of what sort of cargo space they'll have. Carrying capacity is all well and good, but I also want to have a ship that I like the look of :-() Some of the designs are quite cool, some are weird. There's one that reminds me of a chicken - I wouldn't be seen dead in it.

Something I noticed, don't know if you're aware, is that when it comes to things that can be in multiples in a single slot such as minerals, the ship slots hold twice as much as the suit's. A suit slot will hold 250 of something like Plutonium, but a ship slot will hold 500.

I'm going for good Exosuit storage as well, up to 22 slots now. Expensive though, as every new slot you buy from one of those upgrade crate things costs an additional 10,000 units more than the last one. Slot #22 set me back a cool 100,000 ???

I've decided that I'm not going to obsess over getting 100% with every planet. There can be good money if you do, but man, I could spend weeks just maxing the five planets in this system. Especially Scarlett and that flaming Sentinel Hell :-\\

Art Blade

lol, fragger, that chicken ship comment of yours cracked me up: "I wouldn't be seen dead in it."  :-X :laugh:

Want to see a real massive one?
[smg id=8936 type=preview align=center caption="massive ship"]

I now know what I am going to look for -- take a look at the engine bits, there is a warp reactor sigma upgrade in there. Ever since, I keep looking for ships like that and I found one that, if I had had the money, I would have bought:
[smg id=8937 type=preview align=center caption="nice ship"]

Where did all the money go? Well, when I met that guy who gave me the AtlasPass, he offered weapon upgrades and every time it cost more money just like the suit upgrades. I had the money and kept buying so I now have plenty to choose from.

I got my second weapon there as well and my third from the third alien race (called Vy'keen) on a trading station which was on a planet with EXTREME weather conditions.
[smg id=8940 type=preview align=center caption="nice gift"]

The weather really, literally, went through your suit in SECONDS. I'd say, no more than 30 seconds and your acid protection was gone. I already have a shield upgrade in my suit. The "best" of it: the only place safe was either in your own ship or at the trading terminal, as in, you literally had to bump into it. Only in that proximity were you safe from the storm and rain. CRAZY. ???
[smg id=8938 type=preview align=center caption="Corroding Hellhole"]

Well, when I left that hellhole, I got scanned and attacked by a couple of pirates. I "mined" them properly, though  >:D A powerful mining laser is enough to fry those bastards.
[smg id=8939 type=preview align=center caption="pirates!"]

With that AtlasPass in my possession (it doesn't dissolve like those bypass chips) I can now, finally, access those crates and some rooms in space stations. Nice. In every space station is the first door now unlockable and behind it is, so far, always a suit upgrade machine. Excellent. And some other gimmicks, sometimes multitool upgrades, sometimes other stuff. I know that was a spoiler but one I think is more like an appetiser so I am sure you'll forgive me  8)

[smg id=8941 type=preview align=center caption="behind locked doors"]

The canisters you keep finding on planets that are locked with that pass contain expensive things like an Electron Vapour or some such, often usable for warp drive cells.

If you lost me, fragger, when I went on about the anomaly and such, that was because I didn't want to spoil it but still give a hint. You may not know what I meant but when you see it, you will.  :-()

Art Blade

Oh, this is not going to be a spoiler but a WARNING:

IF you meet up with the guy who gives you the AtlasPass, you'll have another option to talk to him. For 20x carbon, he'll grant you a choice of 1) Ship upgrade (20.000u) and 2) Weapon upgrade (20.000u) and 3) Suit upgrade.

DON'T buy the ship upgrade, it will ALWAYS be a ship engine you already possess, so save those 20k. Buy exactly ONE suit upgrade which may be unique (I didn't have it, but the 2nd upgrade will always be the same if you keep asking/buying and the price will go up every time for all things) but you may keep going regarding weapon upgrades. There will always be a new one. I stopped when I bought the last one for 500.000u (lol) and didn't want to go further (800k and so forth). That's where my money went.

There is a fallback solution: You won't be saving what you did there until you get back into your ship.. because when you get out again, that's when the save will happen. So in case you screw up, just go to the options menu and load the current save (it's when you arrived and got out of your ship) so you can experiment there a bit.

[smg id=8942 type=preview align=center caption="rip off"]

Art Blade

Damn, fragger, sorry to hear that. I am sure they will -- no reason to believe otherwise. We're not talking UBIshit here  :-()

I am on my way back to my first system but have been kept by a somewhat lush planet so exploring on foot is actually fun. I can walk around for an hour and not get attacked by anything, not even the weather  :-() I too don't want to fight. :angry-new:

I found out one cool thing: At least with a scanner upgrade, looking through the camera reveals small white dots that seem to pulse (if slowly) and you can see them even through solid objects like hills. When I got close enough (constantly using the regular scanner on top) those dots turned out to be points of interest of alien nature such as a terminal in an outpost or, most frequently, those language cylinders. Nice :) Man, there are loads that I would never have found without that thingy  :)

Here you see them in the centre, almost in a vertical line, two in the dark and two on top of the hill.. and I just noticed, there are three more to the left  :laugh:
[smg id=8943 type=preview align=center caption="white dots of alien nature"]

and I kept tracing them -- this is what I got for it
[smg id=8944 type=preview align=center caption="word by word"]

Dweller_Benthos

I didn't have time to read everything I missed while away on vacation, but it looks like you've all had a fun time so far. I have the game backup saved from my w@&k computer, so I will be able to install it tonight, not sure if I'll have much time to play it though. I've been watching a live stream of the game that's been on all afternoon, switching back to w@&k-related stuff when the boss walks in, lol.

The game looks cool so far, though.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I'm pleased to tell you that this problem hasn't recurred.

I suppose what we shouldn't do is trick the game by saving half the progress of one set location. What I tried is to get one part that I liked and save, then do the other part and in case I didn't like it, revert to that save. I think it confused the game so much that it declined my well-thought-out efforts :-() I found out that I couldn't save that Antimatter then. I don't have two spare Warp Cells, just one. So it saved before I tried to fiddle with that distress location. Well.

Oh, the test save of a location that later resurfaced when I "rediscovered" it (you know, I couldn't save my game but in the meantime, without saving, I discovered that location and renamed plus uploaded it) -- here it is. It was funny when I used some type of antenna to find new locations and it showed me a "new" one, with the name I had already given it -- a name by which I would recognise it and as a proof of concept :laugh:

[smg id=8946 type=preview align=center caption="problems or not"]

As to gold, man, I found half a mountain to harvest.  :laugh:

[smg id=8945 type=preview align=center caption="gold"]

Art Blade

Oh and fragger, you don't have to worry about not having picked up that orb. A friend of mine didn't pick it up, either, and yet he found his way to the same guy who gave me (and now him) the AtlasPass. Go get it, sport  :-D

He chose the black hole navigation while I chose to follow the way of those Atlas interfaces. I reckon eventually I'll come across black hole navigation just as I reckon that he'll encounter Atlas interfaces. I think it's just different ways to get to the same end.

Dweller_Benthos

OK, installed the game and ran it a bit, configured my controls, looked around, BSOD. Reloaded, ran game, looked at two crates at the crash site, BSOD. Lather, rinse, repeat. Several times. Asked Google and it's not just me, several people have reported BSOD under various circumstances. A lot of them are from overclocking, but as far as I know, nothing on my system is overclocked, not since that Far Cry 3 (or was it FC4?) incident with my memory. Anyway, looking at some info, I changed a setting in the config file for G-sync, which shouldn't make a difference as I don't have a g-sync monitor, but figured it should be off. Lowered the frame rate to 30, lowered the anti-aliasing and all the graphic settings to medium and it actually ran a few minutes that I had left to play. So, of the 90 minutes or so I had available to play, I got maybe 15 minutes of actual play out of it. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Not too happy with the menu system either, the way it bobs around when you move the mouse, I don't like. I want it to stay still. I also don't like having to hold down buttons to make things w@&k, when I click on something, I want it to be a click, not a click and hold for however long.

But, it seems to be a fun game for the explorer type, and I got the bonus ship from pre-ordering, so whoo-hoo one extra storage slot and it doesn't look as gimpy as the default ship.

I grabbed the atlas sphere, I guess that's the best way? Or is it better to not grab it and go solo? I see Art posted some about it and it seems the Atlas helps out some?
D_B

fragger

Welcome to the galaxy, D_B :) Yep, those niggles you mentioned annoyed me a bit too at first, but I sort of got used to them.

Cool tip with the scanner Art, and good save story :-X That is certainly worth being aware of.

That pillar of gold... I'm not trying to engage in any kind of one-up-manship, but I wish I'd taken a screenie of the monster pillar I found on Scarlett, the one I got over 130,000 units out of. It was shaped like a bowling pin and was an absolute whopper. It took me about 10-15 minutes to laser it all down.

I had a similar save experience myself. It was when I wanted to buy a new ship and I was checking out the other ships as they came and went from the space station. I finally picked one, but when I got in it I didn't like the cockpit layout. So I reloaded the game, intending to get something else. When it loaded, I found I no longer had my original ship, it was still the new one - but I still had all the money I'd had before I bought it! I had a heady moment when I thought I'd gotten away with something - but on closer examination, I found I still had only the same 16 slots as before. In other words, it was the same old ship, but now it was a different model.

This trick could be useful if there's another ship that you like purely for its cosmetic appeal, but don't actually want to buy it. Well actually you'll still have to buy it, but before buying you'd do a save (quickly get in and back out of your old ship to make the game save), buy the new ship, then immediately reload the game (I reloaded from the "previous" slot, not from the "current"one). You'll have your money back, and won't get any extra slots or new weaponry or anything, but your ship will now have the new appearance and cockpit layout.

The ship I have now actually gives me a much better view of the ground. I can finally land with some degree of accuracy, as opposed to thinking I'm setting down right in front of something only to come down several hundred meters from it. The layout on the old ship obscured the front-downwards view somewhat. This new one lets me look further down in front.

Apparently you can have up to 48 slots on your ship ??? This new one is great, but I'm still having to juggle a bit sometimes. That's just me, I like to lug a lot around :-() I can see myself upping the slots in future.

Here's a quick tip for anyone in the market for a new ship with more slots. The general rule is that the bigger and bulkier the ship, the more slots it will have. So don't bother checking out the smaller ships at the station. I don't know if we all start with the same ship design - mine looked like an X-Wing fighter from Star Wars. Similar ship designs will have only 16-17 or so slots. I've noticed too that the different alien races all have a different range of ship designs. I got my new one from the VY'keen (and their space station is a giant inverted pyramid shape).

After I posted last night I played for a few more hours and that orbit glitch didn't happen, but I don't trust it - every time I take off now I'm half expecting to find myself back in orbit. I'm loving the game, but I haven't yet made a commitment to it :-() If that orbit bug persists, I'm going to have to leave it for another game.

mandru

The following link in its second ("Get Rich Quick") section talks about a method of trading with other travelers at a space station and using the items marked by the station market as buying at a premium to leverage faster wealth building.

http://imgur.com/gallery/BhsO2

I don't know if you can saturate the local demand using the described technique but I'd suggest at the end of each station terminal transaction make sure the various common items going for Premium that you are marketing don't drop back to their base price to save yourself unnecessary trading (haggling?) with the other visitors coming to the station to sell their findings.

There may be a few other tips here that deal with the strategy and nature of upgrading your suits, ships, and multi-tools that you might find useful.

There's one other thing I came across which unfortunately I am unable to credit back to the original poster.  I heard that the suit's thrust that allows you to fly conserves fuel if you don't actually leave the ground employing only forward thrust.  I've seen a comment that with practice the forward ground speed effect will allow you to zip up a near vertical cliff to a cave opening or ledge that would otherwise require flight.

My favorite take away from this thread so far was:

Quote from: fragger on August 15, 2016, 09:50:09 AM

I hope these pirate attacks aren't going to be too frequent a thing or it's going to put me off. I actually don't want to have space combat. I want to explore, trade, build up, learn the story and try to get to the galactic centre. If I want to have combat all the time, I'll play Wing Commander.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

yep, that command.. er, comment, cracked me up, too :-X :)

mandru, thanks for the link. I actually hadn't figured out the premium (star symbol) system on a station because trading among the traders doesn't reveal its sense. Going to the traders once you know what the station terminal "wants" is something I haven't tried yet. I was successful enough just doing business down on the "trading floor" (space ship landing area) :-()

Art Blade

I can't save anymore but I can alt-tab out now.  :laugh: :D

I might as well start over, too.

And.. check this out (found on steam)

Quote7:05pmNo Man's Sky player maxes out ship, exosuit, and crafts an Atlas Pass without leaving his starter planet

PC Gamer

No Man's Sky player and Redditor DoktorFeelgood has played the space exploration and survival sim for over 25 hours, during which time he's maxed out his exosuit inventory to a full 48 slots, acquired 24 slot multi-tool, and found himself a 48 slot starship. The catch? He hasn't actually left his starter planet yet. Everything he's accomplished has taken place on the original planet he spawned on.

It doesn't sound like was a picnic, either. DoktorFeelgood reports that his starter planet wasn't some gentle, leafy, resource-laden paradise but an "acid desert with 24/7 acid rain." Not all elements were available for harvesting, so he had to locate a trading post and acquire minerals like copper and iridium through the galactic trade network. Luckily, his planet had plenty of gold for mining and selling. His suit upgrades were found and purchased through drop pods, which are scattered around the planet's surface.

To upgrade his ship, DoktorFeelgood used transmission towers to scour the planet for the distress beacons of crashed vessels, which typically present themselves as roomier than your own ship by one additional inventory slot, and he eventually worked his way up to the spacious space boat you see above. Dok even managed to find blueprints for an Atlas Pass, which provides access to special drops with useful and expensive cargo.

And, while he was shuttling cargo back and forth across the planet, he also managed to learn over 300 words in the Gek language. Just goes to show you, there's no need to commute. You can get a lot done by working from home.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

Dweller_Benthos

Got it to run for an hour or so until the first BSOD. I repaired my ship, went to space, docked at a station and sold some stuff, but needed more carbon. Took off and headed for the next planet, almost got to the surface, BSOD. Reloaded, Tried again, got closer to the surface, BSOD. Third time's a charm, got to the surface, saved, walked around getting stuff and the game minimized all by itself for some reason, and I couldn't get it to go back to full screen. It seemed to be running OK in the background, but it wouldn't restore from minimized state, so I had to end it. Tried the "3xperimental" code Art posted above and it says beta access code invalid.

But after playing the game a bit, I'm sort of liking it. I really don't like the slow movement, and the enormous time it takes to get anywhere, especially with the fear that any small thing could cause it to BSOD. If I could save anywhere without getting out of my ship, that would be nice.

While on a planet, it reminds me of Subnautica, only not underwater. Might as well be, though, you move so slowly. In space, it's like Space Engineers only you can't build stuff.

Well, just tried the beta code again and it works now, go figure. I'll try that. But what did you mean, Art, that you can't save?
D_B

fragger

Sorry to hear about all the probs you're having, D_B :-( I agree about the slow movement, it's like walking around in molasses. Even the sprint is more like a casual stroll :-() That's why if there's something more than a moderate walk away, I'll take the ship.

I'll let Art field the save question.

Me, I'm sticking with offline play. The game definitely runs better and while I still suffer from the occasional involuntary loft into orbit, it doesn't appear to be happening as much. Only three time during the past twelve hours or so of gameplay, and on two of those occasions I didn't end up in space but just a couple of hundred kays up, and could get back down quickly.

I'm not staying on planets with high Sentinel activity - I just land, claim, and move on. It's not like I'm going to run out of planets :-() I landed on one and a message appeared saying that the resources were protected and that the Sentinels would shoot on sight. One was in my face in no time. Okay then, bye...

The last system wasn't as bad with pirates as I thought it was going to be. I didn't get attacked, but whenever a few big freighters would warp in, the pirates weren't far behind. There would be a distress call followed shortly by the "Enemy ships detected" message, so I would pulse out of Dodge and avoid a fight - the pirates wouldn't come after me. For once.

I finally completed a planet, i.e. catalogued all the life forms. That's all completion consists of, tagging all the animals, nothing else. So far about half the planets I've visited don't have any animals, in which case completion isn't a thing. The last animal I had to get turned out to be a flyer, a creature like a miniature pterodactyl with a swallow's tail. There was a flock of them, and they moved around so fast that I couldn't get a tag on them. So I shot one down - you can still analyze them when they're dead on the ground. No Sentinels came and hassled me over it.

Got my suit up to 26 slots now, with Level 2 Jetpack and Stamina upgrades, among some other goodies. The extra slots were costly, but worth getting. I finally got a lead on the Atlas path, starting to make my way to it. I'm not in a hurry though, I'm having too much fun doing all the other stuff. I find it helpful to craft what I need and dismantle what I don't - anything dismantled can be built again from the blueprint some other time, as long as you have or can get the resources. For example, I'll craft an Exosuit heat shield (or whatever it's called) for hot planets and a cold shield for chilly ones, and dismantle which ever one I don't need.

The diversity of worlds in the game is amazing. I'd posted earlier about how there didn't appear to me much in the way of seas and oceans on the planets - boy, was I wrong! I just found a planet that is almost all ocean, with just tiny continents and small islands dotted around. The game does look fantastic, with wonderful photo-ops going begging all the time. If I stopped to take a pic of every cool scene that presented itself, I'd never get any proper gaming done :-()

fragger

I discovered that it's worth analyzing unusual rocks, too. If you see a boulder with an unusual pattern on it, even if it just says iron oxide when you stand close to it, analyze it with your binos. The pattern will turn out to be some kind of exotic element, which you can upload as a discovery for some dough.

Dweller_Benthos

The experimental version seemed to run pretty well, at least no BSOD after an hour or so using it, so that's a good thing. Next I need to try upping the graphics options and see if that causes any problems. Probably my imagination, but it seems that the walking speed is ever so slightly faster with it too, though some times it seems slower, so probably just me.

I spent some time on the new planet looking around, and found all the waypoints or whatever they are called, and scanned everything I saw. I'm not going to rename all that stuff, I still haven't thought of a name for the system or planets yet, thinking up names for all the plants and animals isn't going to happen. Though I briefly thought of calling them things like "Iron Mushroom" or "Carbon Treething" but that would just mean I'd have a bunch of things called that, and really, who cares?

But there is a good amount of enjoyment just flying around looking for interesting things (but, my god, does this game need a freelook option while flying), found some of those abandoned stations or whatever they are, with some stuff in them, fast ran out of storage space, found out when you discard something, it just disappears instead of falling on the ground like any sane person would think, so that you could maybe drop something, pick something else up, then decide which to take with you? Not to mention you can't open a container without a free inventory space, so you drop something, only to find out that container had junk in it, and you'd really rather have that thing you dropped back. Shot down a couple sentinels because they bugged me, but ran away when they called in reinforcements.

Art, I was never aware you could load different saves, I never bothered to look, and the menu system still bugs me, so I don't read as much of it as I should. I thought you had one save and it auto-loaded and saved and that was it. The only option was to delete the save and start over from square one. The menu system bugs me so much it took me a few minutes to figure out how to exit the game normally, you know, once it stopped crashing.

As for some screenshots (maybe about time to start a separate screenshot thread? I imagine we are going to be here a while)

The pre-order bonus ship, in all it's not-anything-like-a-Star-Wars-ship grandeur. Once I get some moneys, it will be dumped I'm sure.

[smg id=8956 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="X-Wing - not a registered trademark or anything"]

Another ship at the station, also not anything like a ship you might have seen in any TV show or movie, you can't prove it, I dare you!

[smg id=8957 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Serenity - also not a registered trademark or anything"]

Yes, a mountain of Emerald, and not the biggest one I found either, the bigger ones couldn't all fit in one screenshot

[smg id=8958 type=preview align=center width=400 caption="Yes, I know it's called Emeril in the game"]

Haven't seen any pirates yet, but then I haven't left the first system either, but the pre-order ship has a heavy laser weapon thingy that I don't think comes with the normal ship. It will take out a small asteroid in one shot, so hopefully it will do well against pirates. I will reserve judgement on them until after I encounter them.

Oh yeah, if you look at the Steam notes for the game, there are a couple useful posts about getting more money, suit upgrades, etc. You guys might already know. But one seemed a bit cheaty almost. Save at a station, then go out and find a cargo ship, and attack it, hoovering up all the loot you get. This will of course get you in trouble, but that's what you want. Let yourself get blown up and die, respawn at the station, fly out, and I guess when you die, your stuff gets left behind? Well, go pick up all the loot you just stole with no repercussions.

Oh yeah again, today's Penny Arcade is relevant

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ugh, too big to embed, someone shrink that again? I forget how. Done that, knew how to. / Art
D_B

Art Blade

Yeah, I read that, I might even try :-D

I just read a news article on steam telling us that there are already MODS out for this game.. a mod that rids us of pirates and drones would be very cool.

Entertaining post, D_B, and again you named a few things I think we all wondered why, like the stuff you delete from your backpack rather than dropping it, and you wrote about that in your typical dry and straight manner which cracks me up, nice  :-X :laugh:

mandru

Speaking of Mods (or possibly a software update/game tweak) something I'm sure would be fairly well welcomed would be an additional category of upgrades for your ships which would enable and improve the ship's automated ability to repel pirates in flight and possibly provide players some ground cover (at least within line of sight when near the ship) while exploring.

A player would probably be required to pay the costs of energy, materials, or fuel required to utilize a feature like that but if ships in the game had highly capable auto defenses that can be boosted to remain at least one step more agile, smarter, and deadlier than the pirates...  It sounds like it would be well worth the price.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

reminds me of the X series (X² and so on) where there were modules available that could auto-protect you by controlling the ship's turrets and firing at enemies. Which again reminds me, why the hell can pirates scan your cargo while we can't? How can they pull you out of warp or pulse speed and even block those engine modes while we can't? And why can't we protect ourselves against those measures?

However, regarding better sight, I noticed that mouse and keyboard won't w@&k or at least I don't know how to but with a controller, you can actually look around. here a series with the redeemed space ship (pre-order bonus)

[smg id=8959 type=preview align=center caption="ahead"]
[smg id=8960 type=preview align=center caption="right"]
[smg id=8961 type=preview align=center caption="left"]
[smg id=8962 type=preview align=center caption="down"]
[smg id=8963 type=preview align=center caption="up"]

Dweller_Benthos

OK Art, how you do that? I'm sure there's an equivalent on mouse/KB, but I may go the GTA route and switch to controller for flying, as NMS does hot swapping of controls like GTA does.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here:

http://nomansskymods.com/
D_B

Art Blade

right joystick for "view"

fragger

Joystick support for the game would be nice. I've got my nice joystick that would love to be installed in a spaceship.

@mandru, about all you can do the deal with the pirate threat is upgrade your weapons and shields. Some kind of avoidance measure would be nice, but as Art said, the game won't even let you cut and run. I could put up with the pirates if I at least had the option to run away, but I don't - the game forces me into a fight whether I want to or not. That's what I have the real problem with.

Twice now I've been jumped while entering a planet's atmosphere, and the pirates have somehow ended up below me where they apparently can't climb and they can't shoot back at me, so I've been able to rain photon shots down on them from on high. Those are the only two times where I've had any kind of advantage. They're so nimble and their aim is so phenomenally good that if there's more than one of them, you're in trouble. On one occasion I had four at once and I didn't stand a chance.

For those of you playing, I don't know if you're aware of it but there is an aiming reticle during combat which calculates deflection shooting for you. When you're pointing towards an enemy, you'll see three marks appear around the pirate ship indicating a kind of lock-on, but there'll be another three-sided aiming-type reticle a short distance away from the target. This reticle is what you should aim at, not the pirate ship itself, as it's calculating the deflection of the shot for you.

Tags:
🡱 🡳