FC2 revival (yet another playthrough)

Started by Art Blade, June 13, 2011, 02:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Aye :-D :-X

And good thinking, Art 8) :-X

I had a new experience last night. I too just started a new 'thru, and after visiting Pala to get drugs from the good Father and end the tutorial, the first thing I did was try to pinch the diamond from the restricted area in the northern part of town. I always sneak in through the hole in the back wall and often there's nobody in the house, allowing me to grab the rock and slink back out unobserved. This time, just as I grabbed the diamond, I heard a "Game over, arsehole!" and it was on. So I lit out back through the hole in the wall, jumped into my waiting AT and got out of town via the nearby bridge. Up the road a little way I got the "safely escaped" message, but just as I got turned around and was heading back, this merc came barreling across the bridge from Pala in a town car, I think the one from the next bridge over, and started hassling me, so I had to stop, get out and pump some sense into him. That's the first time I've had a merc not only chase me beyond the town perimeter, but use one of the Datsuns to do it in and after the all clear. All I can think of is that he jumped into the car while the flap was still on and this somehow exempted him from the stand down.

Art Blade

Cheers, fragger :)

Looks as if we were still able to tickle a few new twists out of that game, eh, fellows?  :-D

I remember that mercs chased me in their town Datsun as well as their town AT (the one next to the other rock we tend to nick early on) and that they followed me out of town, too, but that was at the very beginning of my FC2 career and I don't think I had time to pay attention to whether or not I got an all clear message back then, it was adrenalin rush city back then  :-() After that they haven't chased me out of town any more.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Coming from the Airfield to Selao, a merc chased me with the grey Cherokee standing at the railway lline at the T-juncyion all the way over the bridge beyond city limits.

Art Blade

??? That is unusual to say the least   :-D :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

yes it is, usually they stop just short of the bridge, since then everytime I come past there I bug the daylights out of them just to see if one of them will chase me beyond that point again, only, this time I will have fraps running so I can capture it....... ;D

mandru

Yet another nice discovery Art.  Very Artistic.   ;)

I usually waste all three of the mercs at that safe house in one move by bringing an AT up through the back path to that location and pinning them to the front of the house by slamming in before they can react.  I like this approach.  "Hey plane wreck not-yet-a-buddy.  I've got a little present for you.   >:D   :laugh:

Quote from: fragger on November 03, 2011, 02:48:27 PM

...I got the "safely escaped" message, but just as I got turned around and was heading back, this merc came barreling across the bridge from Pala in a town car.... All I can think of is that he jumped into the car while the flap was still on and this somehow exempted him from the stand down.

I think that once you are outside of town beyond the "Cease Fire" boundary any merc you encounter is going to be after you whether he originated in a town or not.  It is possible that your actions had drawn him out of town just far enough that even though he had received the stand down notification seeing you in the anything goes zone kicked him back into aggressive mode.   ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: nexor63 on November 03, 2011, 06:43:24 PM
Coming from the Airfield to Selao, a merc chased me with the grey Cherokee standing at the railway lline at the T-juncyion all the way over the bridge beyond city limits.

This happens to me all the time because I usually just blast through that merc post.  However, on one occasion, the merc made it across the bridge into the cease-fire zone - he hopped out of his car like he was going to start something, then calmly shouldered his weapon and began a slow trudge into town.

Art Blade

that's not exactly normal, either  :-() :-X

PZ

Indeed - because it was so funny, I tried suckering one of the mercs that stop on the other side of the bridge to my area.  Took a while, but he worked his way toward me and when he crossed the cease-fire line, that's exactly what he did.  :-()

Art Blade

fragger

@mandru: That sounds highly probable to me :-D

Re: the bridge-crossing merc at Selao, I've had that happen too. I was on my way into town to do a comm tower mission and a merc from the T-junction chased me over the bridge. I left him behind, but then walked back and found him wandering among the outlying buildings. I shot him and consequently got the "escape" message, so that was what I did. When I came back to town to complete the hit after getting the all-clear, the suit was running around firing at me while all the other mercs just strolled and stood about like nothing was going on. The earlier sequence of events had evidently upset the programming apple cart.

I've also had a merc in a Jeep make it over the bridge at the other side of town, from that area to the west where there is a long straight stretch of road with a bunch of roadside stalls and three lurking bad guys. But that guy ran into the side of the gateway (with the "no weapons" signs on it) after getting past the bridge so he was still just on the "outside" when he got out of the car to have a go at me (I'd stopped to see what he'd do). Because I was on the "inside" when I returned fire, I got the "escape" message and had to get back out of town. Damned cheek... I went and took it out on his mates back at the stalls >:D

Art Blade

:laugh:

and.. "programming apple cart"?  ??? ????

fragger

"To upset the apple cart" means to mess up an organised system or to spoil an arrangement or sequence, a bit like "to throw a spanner in the works". Sorry about that, I tend to forget that not everybody here is a native English speaker :-[ :)

Art Blade

Oi mate! It cannot be your problem if someone doesn't make use of his/her abilities to ASK if expressions are unknown  :-D Then again, I take it as a compliment that you forgot about other people here not being native English speaking people  :-() And last but not least, some idioms may not be known to everyone including native speakers.. remember, "I wouldn't be dead for quids."  :-D

Thanks for the explanation, matey  ^-^ :-X

fragger

Art Blade

fragger

The surprises never stop in Far Cry 2...

I'm in the later stages of the game, and after busting out of the Prison I journeyed to Sefapane to meet up with Greaves and receive the mission to bump off Mbantuwe at the Brewery. After accepting, I engaged the "save box" on the wall of his office, saved the game and headed south. After completing the mission, I was making my way out of the Brewery area when I was jumped by the mercs from the GP up the road, whom I had planned to sneak past but who had somehow gotten wind of what was up. Things had gotten heavy at the Brewery, and playing on Infamous as I was, I quickly found myself completely out of ammo. It was while I was trying to prove that discretion is the better part of valour by running away into the bush that I was shot in the back and killed. Since I'd forgotten that I no longer had a rescue buddy at that point in the game, I had to reload from where I'd last saved - all the way back in Greaves' office in Sefapane.

When I reloaded the game, I was immediately presented with this:

[smg id=3844 align=center width=500]

Great... I was going to have to fight my way out of the bloody office!

This became apparent when I tried to leave. Instead of knocking on the door to be let out as per normal, I had to open the door myself, which allowed Greaves' doorman to immediately pump me full of bullets and kill me before I could raise a weapon and return enough fire to take him out (remember, this was on Infamous - health goes down very quickly on this level). After dying and reloading the game a few times I realised that trying to engage the doorman then and there was futile. And with a town full of irate mercs rapidly converging on the building, the only way I could possibly get out of strife was to bolt straight up the stairs opposite the door and run up to the roof, which I managed to do with my health meter down to the second-last bar. Half the population of Sefapane subsequently entered into the building intent on having a roof party with me but I managed to repel them by camping at the top of the stairs, eventually leaving about a dozen of them sprawled in the stairwell below, but not without cost. I was out of syrettes and almost out of ammo again by the time I wiped up the last merc and got the all-clear message.

I've never gotten a "get out of town" message inside a leader's office nor seen so many mercs crowd into one building before ????

PZ

Wow - I'd never experienced that one fragger - good one!  ;)

Art Blade

Excellent thrill there, mate  :-()

You're very lucky that you received your job in that building rather than the other one in Sefapane which is located near the garage on the other side of town. There are no stairs and roof to escape to over there. I was thinking you were there and already picturing how half the town had gathered outside, around the bouncer, willing to give you a really good bounce, "more bounce to the ounce"  :-()

The next thing I'd have considered would have been to change the difficulty level while inside the office and then save again, reload, and hope for the best.  :-D

mandru

Wow fragger, that was a tense jam to w@&k your way out of.  :o

I've had several games where every time I've accepted a mission from one of the faction leaders the whole town goes nuts but I didn't have the added difficulty of playing on Infamous when it's happened.  I'm not really into punishing myself so I typically play on easy.

I've experimented with the difficulty settings while using God mode or occasionally with out a cheat and from my observations I can't detect a difference in the determination, ferocity or the number of mercs attempting to rush me in a town based confrontation.  As far as I can tell the only difference is the amount of med kits and ammo I can carry balanced by how easy it is to receive damage.  Either the mercs become better shots or I don't shrug off the damage they are inflicting on me as easily.  I've not been able to tell which.

One tool you have to aid self preservation in this type of situation is to listen for the scuffle of foot steps as they frantically search for you.  When the mercs are on high alert they lose all ability to walk softly and run every where.  As they fail to find you in one area they will typically broaden their search pattern but that's going to be a random dispersal so you may have to wait a bit before you can make a dash for it.

At the very least it's good to hear that you're still having fun with FC2 and being challenged by it.   8) :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

You're right Art, if it had been the other office I would have been in a bad place :-\\ It never occurred to me to try changing the skill level between loads, but in any event I took it as a challenge to try and get clear of the town on the skill setting I was on, just to see if I could do it. One thing I forgot to mention was that my special weapon was the Dart gun, which isn't terribly effective in a frantic close-quarters fight and besides that you only get six rounds for it on Infamous - and that's with the Marksman pack. I ended up having to "borrow" a grubby PKM from a fallen merc to be able to get any sort of edge. He was kind enough to drop it off on the roof for me.

@mandru, I agree, the main differences between skill levels do seem to be the ones you mentioned - carrying capacity and damage taken (especially from those flipping .50 cals, they really hurt). I'm increasingly under the impression that the mercs do actually become better shots on Infamous as I seem to get hit a lot more on that level. It may have been just a fluke that so many mercs got into the building at once (a couple came all the way up onto the roof at first, such as the PKM donor), but otherwise I too have never detected any increase in tenacity from them on Infamous. Generally speaking, everything just hurts more and you have less to fight back with :-()

You know, I am still having fun with this game. I've dallied with about a dozen others since getting it but I keep coming back :-X

PZ

Quote from: fragger on November 28, 2011, 01:49:07 PM
...You know, I am still having fun with this game. I've dallied with about a dozen others since getting it but I keep coming back :-X

I know I'll return to my favorite hunting grounds as well - this is one game that still has not left my disks, and was the first one I installed on my replacement console.  :-()

Art Blade

PZ

Well chaps, after reading of Jim's adventures and a few others recently, I've opened a "new" game.  However, I loaded a saved game made as soon as I was free to roam the African landscape.  I'm at 4% and have just exited the Church in Pala, ready to start my first mission.  My current load out is:

• silenced 6P9
  • AR-16
  • silenced AS-50

Unfortunately I was using the wrong program stored on my Logitech mouse and instead of bringing up the map, threw a grenade.  Naturally the towns folk over reacted to that insult and had the nerve to start shooting at me without even asking questions!  What a nervy bunch; ready to kill someone for spitting on the sidewalk.

My response was to steal the diamonds in town, quickly hop into my Datsun and make a run for the bus stop - I went to the southeast corner where I intended to find the clue to messages that are spread throughout the Far Cry world.

I followed the map marker to a shanty out in the desert wilderness that was patrolled by 3 men, each with anger management issues.  Naturally I ran over the first one even though he tried to dodge my truck.  Because of the satisfying AHHHhhhhhhh..... expressed by the chap, I decided to run over the next guy - same outcome.  However, there was still one very angry native behind the dilapidated bus, but like a fool, he ran out front directly into the path of my vehicle.  Naturally he suffered more than my vehicle.

After collecting the goodies (stimpacks, ammo, a Jackal tape, and the letter) I made my way back to the bus stop and encountered a pair of exceedingly sharp sighted individuals (they started shooting at me even before I fully recognized they were hostile).  I quickly ran to the bus stop and pulled my trusty AR-16 - love that weapon now that I've filed the mechanism to allow continuous bursts rather than the ridiculous 3-round limits imposed by the manufacturer.

All in all, I think that establishing a psychiatric facility would be extremely profitable, perhaps even more so than what the Jackal earns with his nefarious activities.

Oh well, on to new adventures.

Tags:
🡱 🡳