Artificial Dumbness

Started by JRD, March 12, 2009, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I remeber an excellent post in the deceased farcry2world forum named "FarCrying moments" that made me laugh every time I read it. I used to check the post on a regular basis just waiting for a good far crying moment.
Don't want to steal somebody's idea here, but there is something I always look for when playing..... something only "Artificial Intelligence" can provide

I was in the southern map, about to assault a guard post (can't remember which)... so I moved to a rock nearby where I could snipe them first, before scouting the GP.
I shot the first guy and the confusion begins, one merc, trying to shoot at me "accidentaly" shoots a yellow barrel, blow himself up and starts a fire that spreads towards me. Since I'm on top of a rock, fire can't reach me so I don't move. Other two mercs jumps into a jeep and drive towards me to gun me down... they, however, drive INTO the flaming grass right beneath me in a pretty clever tactic..... hop off the jeep, scream and run till fall down, toasted.
It leaves me one guy left that I just outflank and kill with a machete!!!
One shot... 4 kills and a huge mess...
Whish I had recorded it....
One other time, one merc spots me on the other side of a river.... he runs to me shooting blindly, fall into the water and drown!!!!
Don't you guys just love the way they act sometimes? Artificial Dumbness this is!!!
Have one story? Let us know!!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Great story jrderntl, I can't help but laugh at that one myself!

Not quite a funny, more than once a grenade assault truck notices me, comes screaming my way, fires off a grenade and blows themselves up instead (I just love how they yell when toasted).

Another interesting time was on the first barge mission you get when going south for the first time - was using a Dragunov and finally managed to kill most of the AI (gun boats were floating all over the place)  There was a single guy left in one of the boats, and he calmly stood up, shouldered his weapon, stepped onto the side of the boat and just as calmly stepped into the water, drowning of course.  He bobbed a few times and then peacefully sank into oblivion.

spaceboy

That was one of my favorite threads on fc2world too.  Funny post.  I had a similar experience where I was watching through my AS50 scope from afar and without ever pulling a trigger the guard post mercs did something that kicked off an explosion and a subsequent huge fire.  It was in the Southwest Southern map and it was a post with explosives.  I'm pretty sure they all died.  No shots from me.

I'm glad also pzrzao you recounted your story of the lone survivor drowning himself.  Very funny.  I hope I get a chance to see that happen sometime.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Here's another example of AD - was traveling on a malaria mission in the southeast region of Leboa (attached pic) when an assault truck passed me going the other way (east).  As expected, they turned around to chase me down, but unfortunately for them, it was at a spot too close to cliff side.  I heard them yelling but couldn't see them so I stopped to investigate - you guessed it, they backed off the cliff (close to the glider in the pic)!  I went to the edge and there they were, upside down on a rock ledge approximately half way down the cliff.  They couldn't go anywhere so it was interesting to see them fussing somewhat incoherently.  They started shooting at me so I threw a grenade which landed under their truck sending it and them off the cliff starting fires all the way down. In retrospect, I probably should have continued my malaria mission and returned to see if they were still there... 

As an aside in a FC2 moment, this is one of the most beautiful places to view the landscape in my opinion - it nostalgically reminds me of the Wild Animal Park in San Diego - looking over the African veld.  I just stood there watching the small herds of animals in the sunlit valley near the river and the flocks of birds in the robin's egg-blue sky.  In fact, it looked almost like buzzards were circling my recently deceased friends at the bottom of the canyon.  I probably never would have stopped here (no reason to) because I'm too engrossed in the missions to pay attention to the scenery - most of the time...

Then I noticed a small "hiker" sign close to the edge to the cliff the likes of which I have never really noticed.  I looked a bit closer and there was a small inconspicuous trail leading down the cliff.  Intrigued, I left my vehicle and started cross country. - I ended up at the golden AK spot - no mission, nothing to accomplish, but I felt as satisfied as if I had just completed one of the more difficult assignments.

Three take home lessons for me - I really need a PC so I can record screen captures, there are still things to experience even after playing the game for so long, and I should slow down and smell the roses once in a while - talk about open world...

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

spaceboy

I can't believe they put in a hiker sign.  You're right about stopping to enjoy the views, it's well worth the time.  That's why I never get too frustrated when losing my own truck in a roadside battle or something, because it has led to many beautiful walks with some discoveries.  Plus it adds to the immersion.

PZ

Regarding the hiker sign, sometimes I feel like a fool when I discover something that I should have noticed on my firstplay through.  Fire is a great tool - set off a few explosions, which almost always start fires, and step back to notice what the AI (AD) are up to.  Even though they are supposed to react to fire like another threat, they sometimes are so engrossed in killing you that they fail to take fire danger into account.  Yesterday I experienced similar to what jrderntl reported in an earlier post: guys jumping into a vehicle and then becoming toasted as they back into the fire.  (I just love the ahhhh....ahhhhh...ahhhhh triple death call that they frequently make).

Dweller_Benthos

LOL, that is so funny, and timely, I just experience AD this weekend. I was attacking the pipeline complex in the south from the post on the opposite side of the canyon. I first snuck up on the sniper and chopped him with the machete. Then, some fun with the dragunov. On my way to this spot, I had taken out the patrol on the road that leads in there, but they respawned at some point. I was busy using the mounted grenade launcher to really mess with the guys on the other side of the canyon when I heard the truck come down the road behind me. They were coming fast, really fast, oppps! too fast!! I didn't see it directly (dang) since the small hut was in the way, but I heard the brakes squeal, then the screams then the crash. I left the grenade launcher to go have a look, then I heard the explosion. They had driven right off the cliff into the vallet below a landed on the roof and exploded. SO. DAMN. FUNNY. I wish I had a reording of that one.

So, how about a screenshots forum? I got a couple more funny ones, and some just pretty to look at.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Outstanding idea my friend - done!

Regarding your last experience - this is exactly what I love reading about - different ways to approach a mission!  I'm investigating what I'd need for PC equipment so that I can more fully enjoy games like FC2 - I can't count the number of times I've said to myself "man I wish that I could capture this and post on the forums..."

Also, many thanks for point us to ImageShack - the embedded posts are marvelous!

spaceboy

Speaking of AI/AD driving problems, I was being chased by an assault truck while on my ATV and I was swerving back and forth over the train tracks with tight turns and the truck couldn't handle it.  I heard screaming and a crash so I whipped around to see they had turned the sucker over.  One guy died in the crash and the other was wounded pretty good.  He came limping after me though, god bless him.  I "mercy" killed the sob and went on my way.

PZ

Great story spaceboy, chuckled as always - I was wondering if the ATV had advantages that the other vehicles couldn't match, and it sounds like it does.  That's a big plus because the ATV is unarmed, I assume.

I've noticed differences in the throttle response and acceleration especially with the buggy, but it seems that the top speed is no better because you can't seem to always outrun the AI.  I have recently begun to swerve back and forth like you, and it seems to help a bit.

Have you driven that other large vehicle that comes with the DLC?

spaceboy

In addition to being pure fun, the ATV does SEEM faster.  It's hard to tell and could be the smaller size though.  Also the view is better.  With nothing blocking your view it just seems you can see ahead as well as the terrain in front of you better.  It's small size is good for exploring too.  Of course the handling is tighter than the trucks.

You are right it is not armed although it does adhere to the African government technology decree #156873:  "All vehicles no matter what state of disrepair are henceforth mandated to be equipped with a working GPS!  Exception for hangliders only."

As for the other truck, it's ok but more or less an assault truck on steroids.  Harder to take make it through some tighter turns.  I should check what kind of gun comes on it (grenade or .50 cal). But I'm not as adept as you guys with mounted guns...I seem to always get picked off when I'm standing up there.

JRD

While grabbing the screenshots of my assault to the northern railyard, another proof of AD happened.
I was in the rock, giving lead to the mercs down in the railyard and stopped to reload when I heard voices whispering and that clicky noise you get when pull out a grenade. I thought "Wow, they're gonna blow me up! Thats cool, they are getting smarter!!".
Only I could not see the grenade or the mercs.
I heard the explosion and saw the smoke to the right of my position.
The dumb a$$ and his fellow couldn't toss the grenade high enough to make it land by my side... it fell back down, at their feet, and they kept waiting for the blast... which eventually occurred!
I can imagine both mercs looking up to the rock, a clever smile in their faces, thinking "now we got him good, the boss gonna give us a reward"

PZ

Great story jrderntl; had to laugh at that one!  I too can just see them snickering below - they really do seem a bit stupid at times.

spaceboy

Yeah, I'd laugh at those poor bastards for their "rejected" grenade throw if I hadn't done something similar many times myself...the only difference normally is that I'm smart enough to run away. 

As for another AI story, not sure if this had previously been discussed but I believe one Pala merc killed another in an argument last night.  I was strolling through Pala and I heard an argument but couldn't tell you exactly what they were saying.  As I was getting closer I heard the unmistakable "Aaaarrrgh" sound of a merc dying... sure enough, I come around the corner and there is one guy standing having a smoke and next to him a dead body.  So, I lit up as much of them as I could with my flamethrower until I was taken down - time to shut off and go to bed.

PZ

Reminds me of an unusual occurrence I had yesterday, also visiting Pala.  One of the AI was manning the mounted machine gun at the edge of town (never noticed that before), so I had to investigate - bumped into him (accidentally...) and he of course let go of his gun and shoved back even though I begged his pardon.  Naturally I wasn't going to let him get away with that so I gave him the gift of a short burst from the golden AK (those rounds sure do have impact at close range).  His friends were not pleased with my disrespect so they all started after me - I ran of course.  The funny thing is that even the enemy members of the other faction also were angry with me...

Oh well, just another day in paradise...

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on March 19, 2009, 11:11:11 AM

As for another AI story, not sure if this had previously been discussed but I believe one Pala merc killed another in an argument last night.  I was strolling through Pala and I heard an argument but couldn't tell you exactly what they were saying.  As I was getting closer I heard the unmistakable "Aaaarrrgh" sound of a merc dying... sure enough, I come around the corner and there is one guy standing having a smoke and next to him a dead body.  So, I lit up as much of them as I could with my flamethrower until I was taken down - time to shut off and go to bed.

So they do kill each other from times to time eh?
But why people didn't start shooting AT HIM all at once? He broke the peace within Pala!!
Or killing a guy without firing his gun doesn't count as breaking the cease fire cos he never fired? :P

hmmm..... boring afternoon in the office

spaceboy

You're right, it should have been mayhem he broke the cease fire.  I know I've broken the cease fire with my machete - a guy gave me just a bit too much crap - and it did count 'cause they all started shooting at me. 

Interesting thought, I had actually just got off the bus and saved the game, so when it was saving I walked away for a bit, took the dog out etc., so I was away for approx. 3-4 minutes and of course I come back and my character was just standing there checking his gun, cracking his knuckles, whatever.  So I wonder if the longer "idle" time leads to more diverse AI interactions?  Because I never saw one kill another before.

JRD

Hmmmmm really interesting.......
The only way you can stay close to them without shots being fired is just hanging around, maybe idle as you said, within the city (without any -Devmode cheats, of course).
Maybe they'll act differently, since they know you are there but cannot shoot you!!
Gottta try that

Dweller_Benthos

I heard something similar last night, only using the AI Ignore code, I was mapping patrols again, and I heard two guys talking, then the one guy died. But I have seen in some instances, a guy just die for no reason, so who knows?
D_B

PZ

I attribute some of it to inaccurate code in the AI, but when it helps me stay alive a few moments longer in a fire fight...

... I'd hate to see it go the other way and have a guy I just killed get right back up and start drilling me!

Dweller_Benthos

I know I wacthed a guy die once, it was a strange series of events. I had posted this on the old FC2world. Two guys were talking and drinking beer, one sitting, one standing. The guy who was standing was also bouncing up and down slightly. If you've ever seen a dead body half embedded in something, which happens sometimes, you'll see that the collision physics can't handle it and the body will tremble and bounce around. Well, that's what this guy was doing, only he was standing and alive. A few seconds later, he starts making pain noises, and drops his beer. The beer gently floats to the ground and sinks into it, and disappears. The guy continues bouncing and making pain noises until he dies and crumples in a heap. The other guy just goes on drinking. Funny.

Back to the topic of artificial dumbness, I was following this road patrol when they stopped at the end of the patrol area and tried to make a three-point turn to go back the way they came. Well, the driver overshot the turn a bit, and I thought he was going to drive right off the cliff, but he stopped just at the edge, then couldn't get the truck back out, so he gave up and got out, but since there was no room for him to get out, he popped up on top of the truck. The gunner then took the wheel, like gunners do when there's no driver, and he couldn't get the truck out either, his buddy still standing on top of the truck.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

D_B

retiredgord

???What was this guy doing?  I was on the rescue mission of the person  held in Sediko Dogon. I took the bus there and remembering that a grenade truck passes there I decided I would borrow it to give presents to the AI in the village. You should never visit without bringing something. I left  and went  right where there is a grassy knoll with a rockface.
I waited and shot the guy on the laucher and the driver drove up to the base of the hill (there is a rock face) and shot a grenade..blew himself and my ride up.  Inconsiderate dumb jerk  lol
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Hakim

When I was in the boat in the middle of the river close to the GP when these mercs spotted me two of the AI jump onto the jeep and speed up toward me and drowned, I was aiming at them w/ my machinegun just suddenly they disappear into the river. Looks like the driver thinks he's driving also a boat found out only that twas jeep when he hit the water.

That's the first time I saw AI died because of stupidity. Secondly when I drove fast my jeep to this GP along the road can't remember which one, there's four of them took out the two with my machinegun mounted in the jeep then the two remaining AI like 20 feet apart I was aiming to the one that near me when suddenly he start screaming "I will protect You" "I will protect you" the other AI jump into a car and speed up and run over him and died instantly. I was shock what the hell just happen. No choice the one in the car took my bullets for supper.

Dweller_Benthos

lol, I've seen so many guys run over by their buddies, but it's funny every time. Road patrols are notorious for this, then they reach the end of the patrol route, turn around and run over the dead body again. double lol

D_B

Art Blade

I have one event on my mind (which I will never forget) that I want to tell you about:

I was on that crash site to recover some fuse for a huge bomb. Far from me I observed two cars crash into one another (some civilian car and some armed jeep). The civilian car then produced thick black smoke (I don't know what that guy had filled into his tank before) and the other car tried to pull away. The following explosion of the small car took out both cars, thus preventing the other from pulling cowardly away, though. You'll have to give them credits for entertainment.

After I had cleaned the area (nearly killed me, low on ammo, no grenades left etc) I examined some promising parts of the higher grounds, don't ask me what miracles I expected to find there. A mean male voice drilled into my head "look what we've got here..." and nearly tripled my heartbeat. I simply hadn't expected anyone to survive. Whoa.

Since he already got me started, I dashed away for cover, behind a nearby knoll. We then started what Quake2 players may remember as "circle of death", only we didn't have knolls then. That soldier and I circled around that knoll, both clockwise and counter-clockwise, the knoll always in the middle. Like in some old Buster Keaton movie. I couldn't see that bloke, but I heard his footsteps. I now wanted to oppose him, take one last tough stance, but he was always behind that damned knoll. Do you think a malaria attack would spice things up a bit? Here you go. I couldn't believe it. About time for a real life bashing of PC hardware... almost.

While I was busy doing malaria pills, he was busy doing pineapples. I heard him pull that safety thing off of his handgrenade, thinking "oh god, oh god, oh god" to myself. Then I heard something metallic drop and bounce on the floor on the other side of that hill (you know that clink-clink-clink sound) and I also heard him shout "oh s#!t!" - followed by an impressive bang and... silence. I turned around that knoll and saw him for the first time, peacefully lying on the ground, performing an eagle impression. I believe he had a smile on his face...

Bless AD for saving my AL (artificial life) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳