Modding BL2

Started by Art Blade, September 23, 2012, 01:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I am already curious about modding BL2. In particular weapons which I liked to do with the excellent tutorials by mmosu.

Do the old tools w@&k with BL2?

Please let us know about anything related to modding weaps and stuff.. I'm already drooling in anticipation  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

By the final update to Borderlands, the devs had figured out how to essentially neuter Willowtree and completely eliminate all true "modding".  What we were left with was mere "constructing" - building weapons that, although extremely rare, could still be procedurally generated in the game.  My understanding is that the weapons generation procedure in BL2 is completely different, and at any rate the parts list is certainly different.  We'll have to wait and see if time will produce the mod tools we crave.  In the meantime, need to get those vanilla playthroughs accomplished  :-X

Art Blade

cheers :) Oh man, BL2 without modding would be very annoying.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Don't worry. There's plenty of great weapons to catch. I have no problem finding nice ones that bring me loads of fun!!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I like to play with my own creations  :-D

mmosu

So far in my playthrough I've been pretty impressed with what I've been able to pry from cold, dead hands  >:D

Art Blade

agree.. I think the weapons are better than in BL1.  :-X :)

mmosu

Certainly more diversity in the types and the function.  The different manufacturers are more distinctive as well, you can tell at a glance what it is and who made it.  I'm actually using Tediore guns a lot in this playthrough, which is something I never did in BL1.  I don't think I ever did anything but sell them back to Marcus, but now this time around I have a SMG and a shotgun active in my inventory  :-X  There have been several times I bled the magazine dry only to bring my opponent down by hurling the empty gun into them - HILARIOUS  :laugh:

Art Blade

yes, I had a shotgun that exploded and it was pretty awesomazing to use the reload time that way.. actually a perfect thing: bang, bang, boom! bang, bang, boom!  :-()

Binnatics

I also have a very nice Tediore shotgun in my inventory right now. It deals 715x13 damage and shoots "as fast as you can pull the trigger" >:D
Superfast reload time as well, so after two deadly shots (mag. size of 3) it rapidly prepares for the next CRITICAL KILL :-X ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mmosu

I've been doing some research on the modding issue.  Looks like there are mod tools out there but their application is somewhat limited.  Seems like we're starting out where the last patch of BL1 left off - that is, if you try to save a game with modded items in your inventory they get deleted, so it's impossible to progress in the game with modded kit.  That, however, still leaves the door open for constructing, being that the game can't pick those out of your backpack since they could (albeit rarely) be legitimately generated by the game.  My first vanilla playthrough is in the bag, so I'll be looking into this more as time goes on  :-X 

mmosu

Here are a few examples of some of the stuff that people are doing, some of it's pretty cool  :-X  The language in the video is pretty salty and the host is an idiot, but this is one of the more informative vids that I could find, so enjoy . . .
Borderlands 2 - Black Weapon Class ( Explained )

mmosu

Art Blade

Best thing to do is stick with "legit" items which obviously can't compete with black items but hey.. how about a certain level of challenge. I've checked some stuff out and don't want to mess with the game in a way that might end up in a ban. :)

Binnatics

I like the guns that are modded but legit. The game offers all you'd possibly want and I love the blood-explosions once you take back the heavier lvl 50 guns to your 'normal' playthrough. Well, that last thing has nothing to do with modding but still; NICE!!! >:D

Art Blade

mmosu

I agree in that I don't want to "break" the game and erase any challenge of playing through it, although I would like to do some legit builds like I did back in BL1.  From what I understand though, the PS3 save files have some kind of weird encryption in place to keep people from messing with it, so you have to get a very specific cracking program to w@&k around it - sounds like a big hassle  :D  At any rate, maybe someone will come out with Willowtree 2 and make things simple...

mmosu

Ask and ye shall receive!!

This guy found a w@&k-around for the PS3 encryption issue, which means as soon as my computer issues are resolved I will be rolling out some constructed kit for my second playthrough  >:D

I don't wanna break the game, I just wanne enjoy all it has to offer  8)
Borderlands 2 PS3 Modding Tutorial!

mmosu

In addition, here's a link to Gear Calculator V2 - similar to what I used in combination with Willowtree for BL1

http://thegearcalculator.appspot.com/

mmosu

Just spent some time playing with the gear calculator, and it seems to w@&k very well.  Seems as though it won't generate an illegitimate item, which means you can't get accused of modding or get your stuff auto-deleted by a software update. 
I just explored how to make a plasma caster, conference call, bee shield, and legendary assassin class mod - let the arms race begin  >:D

Art Blade

it can be fun indeed  :-D Enjoy  :)

mmosu

So over the last week I've been in the lab, so to speak, making my first foray into modifying some actual save files - nothing too drastic mind you, a lot of what I've done has been focused on beefing up my daughter's siren so that I don't have to be picking her up every five seconds when we play co-op.  I increased her exp level, and gave her some better guns and shields, and now the game is much more enjoyable for her because she's not constantly dying  ;)  The process is pretty easy still, but there are a few extra hoops to jump through and nothing has been as simple as it used to be.
I've been able to introduce legitimate weapons and items into the backpack, change currency, and even unlock heads and skins for several characters.  The easiest way to do this is to obtain what have come to be known as "paste codes" for the items that you want.  This is a lot simpler than trying to piece the item together manually, because once you have the paste code it only takes a few mouse clicks to put it into the game.  I'm still experimenting with some offline-only characters, so I'll update more as I learn, but so far it's going well :-X

Art Blade

I did basically the same in order to catch up with Binnatics. Now I have several characters with and without changes :)

mmosu

Came across this site this weekend. This is THE most complete save editor source I have seen to date. Very well organized and easy to navigate, it contains paste codes for basically every significant item or weapon in the game in all elemental variants. Enjoy!  8)

http://blakwidowstang.imgur.com/

Art Blade

nice, thank you  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳