Borderlands 2

Started by deadman1, February 16, 2011, 07:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

It has come to my knowledge that Gearbox has been sort of confirmed by Randy Pitchford in an interviue with VG247.

Check it out here: http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/news/borderlands-2-confirmed.html

And since Gearbox now has aquired the rights to Duke Nukem, here´s a little flick showing our favorite robot giving Duke a few pointers:

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51231/Duke-Nukem-at-the-2011-Interactive-Achievement-Awards-/?quality=hd

Fiach

The game was great and sold well, I dont think it was ever in doubt, but its nice to have a confirmation :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

Agreed, I haven't seen a game in a long time that developed such a rabidly devoted following - indeed a no-brainer, but confirmation from the pitch man himself doesn't hurt either  :-X

deadman1

It´s confirmed that Borderlands 2 are coming some time next year.  >:D Check oit this info from Game Informer:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/08/03/september-cover-revealed_3a00_-borderlands-2-75830-3458572.aspx

JRD

Cool...   >:D

It doesn`t say much about the game though  ????

Anyway, I`ve heard about Borderlands 2 but that was just rumor... now is getting solid! Nice find deadman  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on August 03, 2011, 01:04:39 PM
Cool...   >:D

It doesn`t say much about the game though  ????

Anyway, I`ve heard about Borderlands 2 but that was just rumor... now is getting solid! Nice find deadman  :-X

Well Gamescom is coming up in a couple of weeks and I´ll guess we´ll get more info then.

Art Blade

Hehe, deadman, PZ is going to love you. As he keeps telling us that his memory isn't so great, your manner of replying to last posts by quoting the last posts exactly and entirely will help PZ to remember what you were replying to. Unlike me, I just reply. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Very, Very Cool  :-X

Possibly a new vault-hunter on the cover there?  Well, I guess they're not really vault-hunters anymore, are they?!  :-()  At any rate, there are some cool things in the background of that picture . . .

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on August 03, 2011, 02:10:57 PM
Hehe, deadman, PZ is going to love you. As he keeps telling us that his memory isn't so great, your manner of replying to last posts by quoting the last posts exactly and entirely will help PZ to remember what you were replying to. Unlike me, I just reply. :-()

:-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

^+-+ Great vid about these achievement awards deadman!!!

They only forgot about one thing... Duke should have NUKED the damn robot  >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mmosu

According to the Borderlands Wiki, the release date for BL2 is set for Sept 1, 2012.  We'll see how long it takes for that to change  :D  :-D

Also, the Borderlands 2 website has launched:  http://www.borderlands2.com/
Currently, there is a link to the GameInformer article (which hasn't been released yet, so I'm not sure why it's linked here), and a pre-order link.

I'm glad the next game will still be on Pandora, there could never be another place so over-the-top and rediculous, and it wouldn't be Borderlands if it were anywhere else . . .
Stay tuned  >:D :-X

Art Blade

RedRaven

Nice, 13 months to go and counting.....
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

I hope they have random generated missions  >:D

RedRaven

Could not agree more, in fact more games should have random mission generators in them.
Would be really nice for UBI to release an SDK for it seeing as they never did for FC2. That would open the doors for all the modders out there to get to w@&k and create some more magic for it.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Random generated weapons works by creating different parts with random values for each. For instance; type: shotgun, barrel: 8 rounds, explosive: yes, scope: no and so on... I admit that random generated missions would be much more complex than that but as I think about it... it's do-able :-\

I was kidding when I posted that, but who knows, one day? A possible structure could be:

Go to: place (chosen out of four or five plaves in the map).
Do what: kill, destroy, sabotage, steal, threaten, etc.
Difficulty level (dictates how many enemies and how powerful they are: depends on your XP level.

FC2 is pretty much like that but not random  ;)

You could be prompted to do three or four of those random missions to unlock a regular main mission (not random) to keep the story flow.....

Well... just dreaming....  ::) :-[

Art Blade

good idea, randomly generated missions.. like deliver something from A to B and get a reward could also be possible :)

JRD

Damn... why don't we get paid to have ideas like that to games  :D  :'(

RedRaven

The only game I've seen with any sort of random mission generator is ARMA 2. Mostly through a couple of mods that have been done for it and even those are a little limited.

As for borderlands they almost have the things in place for it with the bulletin boards, they just need to figure out the algorithms to set them up kind of like JRD said

Quote from: JRD on August 06, 2011, 02:32:06 PM
Go to: place (chosen out of four or five plaves in the map).
Do what: kill, destroy, sabotage, steal, threaten, etc.
Difficulty level (dictates how many enemies and how powerful they are: depends on your XP level.

Would be great to see more things like this in some titles as it can only really add to the longevity and re-playability of the game. Also if they are kept as just optional side missions then there should be no problems keeping them from crossing the story line.

mmosu

Seems like there was an element of this in RDR with the wanted poster missions.  All the game needed to decide on was a name, location, bounty amount, and a character model, and all the player needed to decide was dead or alive?  >:D  What's a series of yes/no or limited option questions to a computer?  Not much, as Borderlands proved with the weapons and item generation.  It shouldn't be that difficult to make the leap to random missions with the right programming know-how.  I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a "workbench" feature like we discussed in other Borderlands threads - one that allows you to scavenge parts from other weapons to create new and improved versions of your favorites without the hassle of using a separate modding program!   

RedRaven

A 'workbench' set up for weapons is one of the things lacking from many games, it usually being a case of like it or lump it with weapons. The seemingly endless random weapon creation of borderlands keeps it interesting as you gather bigger and better weapons through-out the game. I found this a good alternative to the weapon selection in FC2 which was limited (but all within the concept of the setting and environment).

The relatively simple set up for weapons and armour in the Stalker series is a good example of being able to make a few simple yet effective way of giving the player some control over the equipment they use. All the modifications are kept within realistic boundaries to prevent over complication. Like wise some of the mods that have added weapons have also added different classes of ammunition which is another feature missing from a lot of shooter based games.

I suppose in the end it comes down to the balance the creators want to achieve although in some cases it often feels like the games are made to a low common denominator by keeping choices of equipment to a minimum in order to maximise the over-all multi-player aspect of the game.

Some games developers need to start crediting their target audience with a little more credit by including more player options, they are after all just options. Considering that many FPS games are rated 16 or 18 its not as if a bunch of young school kids are going to get frustrated by too many choices and it is highly doubtful that including such options is going to turn gamers into crazed gun wielding maniacs running rampage through the streets. Thats what the games are for!

mmosu

The ability to swap in different types of ammo could be a cool feature, allowing each of those 80 bazillion guns to take on varied attributes  :-()  Reminds me of this video:

12 Gauge Dragons Breath

"As you can see, those are VERY effective"  ^+-+

Art Blade

F me sideways, that dragon breath is breath-taking. ???

RedRaven

That is cool. Really like the guys t-shirt and the way the gun is blue and red makes it look like some kids toy gun.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to tweak the ammo scripts in Stalker to try and get incendiary rounds :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳