Zombie Island of Dr Ned

Started by RedRaven, November 29, 2009, 12:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadman1

Quote from: mmosu on January 10, 2010, 04:37:36 AM
Just finished Ned's Island yesterday right before downloading Underdome, so time for some final thoughts . . .
In the end I loved this DLC - right from the beginning the humor was there, with the voice of Marcus giving the background in the form of a bedtime story being told to a little kid who keeps interrupting to ask questions and calling Marcus out when he curses  ;D  It was a new slant that kept everything familiar yet still fresh from the start.  The humor and pop culture references continued right on through to the end, with tons of references to everything from Night of the Living Dead to Scooby Doo!  The zombie combat was great, with plenty of exploding heads, flying body parts, spurting blood, brains to collect (I finally figured out what these were for - suffice to say an old friend from early in the main game makes an appearance  ;)) and plenty of surprises along the way including wereskags and Crimson Lance zombies galore in a send-up of Old Haven (called Dead Haven this time around).  Elemental effect weapons abound (ironically, it seems, as this is Jakob's Cove) so there is big potential to pick up some real beauties  :-X  The boss characters are fun and creative (although exactly what you would expect given the theme at w@&k here) and the missions you are sent on to find them are equally entertaining.  Now for the downside - there is only one New-You station in Jakob's Cove, which means that this is where you start from every time you load the game.  This doesn't seem like that big of a deal until you consider that there is some ground to cover here.  Jakob's Cove is big and so are it's outlying areas, so no matter how far you stray, if you quit and reload you have to start from the central area, which can get frusterating, especially given that you have to fight through hordes of undead in order to get anywhere.  This is a rather small thing, and some might see it as an advantage since it increases the need for zombie killing, but I found it annoying after about the 6th time of hiking all the way from town to Jakob's Mill (I eventually took to sprinting past crowds of zombies rather than taking the time to slow down and deal with them properly). 
So, all in all, this was a great addition to what is, in my opinion, an already great, addicting game.  Definately worth the $9.99 (or whatever the price is on your respective networks).   
Enjoy Mates  ;D :-X

I just bought and finished the CD edition of Dr Ned and Like you I really liked it. But I haven´t managed to figure out what the zombiebrains are for so now I´m kneedeep in them. Could you be a pal and give me a hint or better yet just tell me  ;D

mmosu

In the Hallow's End area near where you fought Pumpkinhead there is a little path that could easily go unnoticed (check your map).  If you take it you will find a little house on the edge of a pumpkin patch with a surprise guest waiting for you . . .

deadman1

Quote from: mmosu on April 27, 2010, 04:15:26 PM
In the Hallow's End area near where you fought Pumpkinhead there is a little path that could easily go unnoticed (check your map).  If you take it you will find a little house on the edge of a pumpkin patch with a surprise guest waiting for you . . .

Thanks mate I found it  :-X Man does that guy have an appetite for brains, I need to give him 100 of them now ::). I wonder if there´s a limit to how many times you can milk that quest for loot?

mmosu

There is, and you're almost at it.

JRD

Just started my shift killing zombies at Dr. Ned's (who is definitely not Dr. Zed from main game :-() ) island.

Bur before -> a quick read through OWG to see what's in here!  ;)

I know it is old already for you lot, but I am really glad I have this DLC with me. After finishing the main story I immediately started a second playthrough with Lilith to see how it feels second time around but then I thought "wait, maybe I can play the DLC on my 1st playthrough for extra exp and loot and then move on to the 2nd playthrough"  ;)

So off I went to Jacob's Cove and just met Dr. Ned (who is totally not a made up Zed's brother  ;D ;D ) and will start playing through the rest of the quests.

The little I saw so far is outstanding... a real change in atmosphere with the same feeling as the main game. All zombies are really nice being undead versions of the old characters you encounter elsewhere but with great new attacks and animations... the humor is there as always and combat are frenetic. Just like Red said a few posts before, I jumped from my seat as I turned around and found a zombie barfing on my face during a fight in the swamps... really cool!!  :-X :-X :-X

And is really cool to be able to jump from one playthrough to another carrying all your stats, money and loot... it add so much for replay value!!  :-X :-X :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

alright.. I got that DLC, too. Now I know it'll be worth it  :) Plus I got that underdome DLC.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Zombie Island has a new side story and lots of missions and quests in a whole new scenario! The Underdome is more like an arena where you have to survive for a few rounds of wave after wave of enemies with increasing difficulty. You also have some kind of restrictions as to how you can fight, like having most of damage on your inventory downgraded so you have to go with shotguns only or having your energy constantly depleting except when you kill an enemy and so on.

Didn`t try The Underdome for real yet as I prefer playing with a story on the background and will probably not stay there for long either. You should look for The Secret Armory of General Knoxx which is also a whole set of missions and quest on a story based DLC. Knoxx is a general of the Crimson Lance private army you face in the main game. Lance soldier are the toughest to kill due to thei body armour and powerfull weapons - they also drop the best loot in the game, so you gains lots of XP plus great weapons, shields, class mods and cash by going afeter them  ;) 8)

Art Blade

As I still don't do business on the net, those DLCs I've got are on a disk I bought in a shop. If other DLC is being released on disk, I might get that too.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on September 21, 2010, 02:38:34 AM
As I still don't do business on the net, those DLCs I've got are on a disk I bought in a shop. If other DLC is being released on disk, I might get that too.  :)

Then you should check out the GOTY edition, it will have all the DLC:s including the latest one.

JRD

I think the GOTY will be a bundle, maybe you can`t have a single DLC from them!

I might be wrong though!  ????

deadman1

Quote from: JRD on September 21, 2010, 06:05:38 AM
I think the GOTY will be a bundle, maybe you can`t have a single DLC from them!

I might be wrong though!  ????

I think that you will be able to install the DLC separately just like you did with Zombie island and the Thunderdome.

JRD

I got mine at the STEAM sale, BL+3DLC at once and I don`t remember if I could`ve chosen only one DLC.

Anyway, Art won`t purchase it online (actually the words Art+purchase online might cause a crash to desktop) and I don`t know whether you get the option to get a single DLC from the GOTY edition or not! Something tells me you don`t  :-(

Art Blade

All I could do is skip new DLC or buy the GOTY edition and install that instead of the vanilla game plus DLC disk.

JRD

You`d be losing Secret Armory and Claptrap Revolution if you stay with what you already got but no more cash spent...
... or...
Get the GOTY with all four DLC, but purchasing the man game yet again.  :-\\

You can always make it as gift to the person who bought you Sniper GW and keep only the GOTY!

mmosu

Yes, I'm pretty sure GOTY status means everthing released up to this point is included whether you want it or not.  In my opinion, even if you don't want to play the Underdome, having it installed is worth it simply to be able to utilize the Bank (extra storage space for gear you don't want to actively carry on you).  Early on this helped me out by being able to store high level gear until I was strong enough to use it, rather than having to sell it and weep mournfully as I walked away from the vending machine  :'(
That version is the best deal anyway - the way it's priced it's like getting all the DLC's for free  :-X

Art Blade

I may get that GOTY version after all, and have it bought online by one of my mates who do business online. Good I still haven't installed the game, both DVDs are still unopened. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳