I just did my first MP match...

Started by PZ, May 09, 2009, 09:51:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Well, despite all the nay-sayers on my satellite Internet provider forum, my Internet connection seems to be just fine for MP - did my first match a few minutes ago and it went well!  I still haven't figured out yet exactly how it all works, so I'll probably become banned. I've just entered the modern age!  :-X

spaceboy

Welcome to cyber-battle PZ!  How did you find fighting against other people vs. the AI?  It can be either a real thrill or really frustrating (sometimes both).  To me it's a totally different experience.  Both SP and MP can be satisfying depending on your mood of the day.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

It was fascinating - I followed a guy up the stairs - he reached the top which was a dead end and turned around to see mi coming up after him.  If I could have seen him at his keyboard, I'll bet that he jumped a foot out of his chair, so remarkable was his reaction.  Also, the AI knows exactly where you are when you fire, but in MP, the opponent is human just like you are, so they have no advantage and if you are well hidden, they can't find you.  Then, I was in a team and one of my buddies actually helped me to my feet!  It was a great experience overall.  However, I'm not sure how to change servers, etc. and logging in is different on PC vs. PS3 - you need different accounts.  I'm sure that I'll try this again!

PZ

FYI - settings problem - the board was set to read-only - now fixed thanks dke58 for pointing out the problem!

Just finished another MP session this morning, but am unsure of how the game works because the PS3 does not give info - anyone know what these are:

• Ranked
  • Player
  • Deathmatch
  • Team deathmatch
  • Uprising
Also, are there other servers that coordinate games?

RedRaven

no probs, what anti-cheat measures are in place for MP games? never bothered with them cos know a few people who played alot of CounterStrike online and it always seemed to have alot of cheaters playing which just spoils things.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

Ranked means your trying to earn XP points and unlock guns etc.  Player means your playing Player created maps.  Deathmatch is every man for himself (I don't like those).  Team Deathmatch is kill the other team (quite fun if your team works together at all).  Uprising is specific to FC2, but I'm not clear what exactly that one is like.

PZ

Thanks guys - I've read about the cheaters, but I don't think that I've encountered any yet - I appreciate the info on the rankings, etc. - at least I know where I stand.  Do you know if the headsets w@&k for communication in FC2?

I agree - it would be cool if a group of guys played together in a cooperative way.  I managed to save one of my team members this morning even though I am just a newbie - it felt good to be able to contribute to the team.  Mostly however, I feel like I am the looser that is dragging the team down.  It would be nice it the server had a way to get the new players together so that they all learn at the same time rather than having a rank 22 player against us rank 1 players.  In any case, it has been fascinating so far, and I'd like to encounter a map that was like the SP map where new users might know the layout.

Art Blade

Don't worry about being a rookie. Just watch and learn. Try a) to survive and b) not to kill team mates (too often, haha).
If there are servers called "newbies only" then that will attract low lifes to join and show off "really, it's the first time..." You'll get better eventually anyway.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I've been lucky so far in not killing my team mates - one of them actually saved my as$ during one engagement!

Art Blade

good players should find time to do that and other things that help a newbie.

I remember my first MP (different game). Everyone seemed to be so much better at this. I was stunned. Then again, there are many players that are out there from the beginning and do nothing else  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

yeah, PZ, don't worry about being new or not so good.  Art is right.  Yes I used my bluetooth headset to communicate and it worked good.  not all players have mics and some stuff in nonsense, but I've had some good teammates on MP and it helps to say "Oh sorry dude" if you take a couple shots at teammate on accident.  It's cool if you spawn behind a mate to tell 'em "I'm right behind you..."  Keep us updated, it's great to hear of others experiences.

PZ

Cool... so FC2 MP works with the headsets?  I have a bluetooth, but have not used it for anything yet - being able to communicate with the other members of your team would make the experience much better.

On an aside, I finished with a couple of MP adventures a short time ago.  What is rather remarkable is that there seems to be so much chaos in the game play - seemingly a continuous fire fight in which people seem to be just waiting for you to re-spawn so that they can take you out.  I did tire of it after a while and then returned to SP and breathed a sigh of relief.  I must say, however, that MP is quite fascinating, but if that was all there was, I doubt that I'd play FC2 more than I have any other game - I'll keep plugging away at it though, to give it a fair chance.

Art Blade

you encountered "spawn-killers" or "spawn-campers" which is a low-life form of players I despise.

PZ

I see... the only saving grace then is the fact that I tended to re-spawn in different areas, but even with that, there are probably guys that know the map well enough to kill the new guy no matter where they re-spawn.

Art Blade

no, usually (in games I know) there are only so many spots where you can respawn. They learn them by heart and wait for whoever spawns there. If it wasn't you, it was someone else they shot next.

PZ

Art Blade

the flip side is, you may learn them by heart and know where to find those cheeky buggers and take them out  8)

DKM2

Played my first death match today. Not too bad, got a few kills in, and didn't finish last.   :-X
Total noob thou, can't even figure out how to upgrade weapons.     ::)
Time to read the guide and a few solo lan games, walk around in peace and get used to it.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

spaceboy

DKM2, the few times I did FC2 MP I found the weapons upgrading/loadouts kind of confusing and I didn't like the combos of weapons they give you to start with either.  At least I know it wasn't just me.

spaceboy

Didn't want to start a new thread, but I got invited by a PS3 friend online to play a match.  I'm sure XBL is similar but for you PCers basically you can tag online IDs as friends (either people you know or those you meet in a match) and then send messages, chat, or invite to games. 

Anyways, I got invited by one of my FUEL driving friends to an FC2 MP match.  I can tell you that playing MP with a proper group of players who are all using mics and want to communicate information about what they see and strategize makes FC2 MP an excellent experience.  I had more diamonds than I thought and upgraded to some good old favorites from SP.  Took out an assault truck with a couple enemies in it with a grenade launcher and it was awesome.  It helped that a teammate had told me they were coming over the bridge...I had time to setup my shot and wait for it.  I definitely will do some more.  A good MP match can have as much to do with your teamates as the game your playing itself.

DKM2

It should be a little better in the coming days for our server, Ubi just re-released a new revision 1.03 R2 of the server,
so I should be able to get the auto ban thing going again.
Even though I play almost every night, you might get one game a week that sucks. (same people all the time)
Most times everyone is pretty cool, and frankly I haven't kicked anyone yet, but I'm easy.
I have my starting rank set to 4, so you can start one weapon group max'd out, and build
from there.

If we had more PC MP here we could set up some OWG password'd games once a week or something.
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

I keep forgetting that you've set up your server DKM - Are you still using the same map and is the game a deathmatch?

DKM2

Its Team Deathmatch right now, and I have a rotation of the 14 standard maps.
Each match is 20 minutes, and\or a maximum score of 50. (first team to 50 kills)
Voting is allowed to extend (time) the match if players want.
Its not 'up' right now, cause I wanted to check out the new extender later before
taking on half the world tonight.

PZ

Cool - I like the map rotation idea, and is it possible to also include a user-produced map in the rotation?

I'll try to get online tonight - having a logging crew come in soon and I've more tree duties for the rest of the day  :'(

DKM2

Yeah I was running a few User maps for a while, but changed it back when I had a few problems.
I changed it back to try and fix it, but it turned out to be Ubi's problem not mine.    >:(
I've been meaning to get back to introducing some user maps, maybe Sunday I'll find the time.
Busy busy busy...

give me a SHOUT if you see me, general I don't look at names, preoccupied hiding and shooting ya know.

Oh and btw, its HARDCORE mode, different damage model.
Getting killed alot is normal. (with 16 players, you hit 50 before the 20 min is up)

Tags:
🡱 🡳