Abbott's here... Hey Costello, where are you?

Started by fragger, November 12, 2014, 03:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

A few weeks ago, our Prime Minister (and part-time village idiot) Tony Abbott big-talked on TV about how he intended to "shirtfront" Vladimir Putin over the MH17 incident when the latter arrived in Australia for the G20 summit (just to clarify, a "shirtfront" is where two Rugby players belligerently bash into each other with their chests).

Well, Vlad is here now, and it seems he brought some of his navy with him. Abbott must have him really, really trembling in his boots.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/russia-sends-warships-towards-australia-before-g20-meeting-20141112-11lc4z.html

Naturally, nobody saw any chest-butting take place. Abbott threatening to sort out Putin is like the possum threatening to whup the bear by kicking him in the shin.

What an embarrassment this clown of a Prime Minister is ::) I'm glad I never voted for the numbskull - but then, I know one when I see one.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Binnatics

I tried to state something wise here, but I'm afraid it would be rather political incorrect, so: Aye :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Dang fragger, I thought you were talking about our politicians  8-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

fragger

Well, our Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, has been consigned to the ash-heap of history. His own party (Liberal) turfed him out and replaced him with a shiny new PM, one Malcolm Turnbull. It might be a good thing as Turnbull seems quite intelligent and decent, but the way he got the job doesn't sit well with people, and nor should it. We're getting sick of seeing one incompetent PM being replaced with another, seemingly at the whim of the party room.

This is our fifth PM in six years, and the third time a PM has been fired from his/her position by their own party and replaced with a leader that nobody has yet voted for. There was Kevin Rudd (Labour), kicked out and replaced with Julia Gillard; Gillard herself was later kicked out and re-replaced with Kevin Rudd; now Tony Abbott (Liberal) has been kicked out and replaced with Mr. Turnbull.

What a circus ::) Why don't they just replace the door to the PM's office with a turnstile?

If I'd actually voted for any of this rabble, I think I'd be pretty miffed if I saw the candidate of my choice shown the door and replaced with a non-elected leader without any consultation with the public. So much for the democratic process.

The names of our two main political parties, Labour and Liberal, once reflected each party's political ideologies and the social standing of those they represented. The Labour Party originally represented the interests of the working classes, while the Liberal Party represented the money-men (originally they were the wealthy land-barons). The system was roughly modelled after the English parliamentary one, with Liberal standing in for the House of Lords and Labour the House of Commons. But the titles mean nothing anymore. The two parties have simply become separate groups of scrabbling politicians who share the same agenda - get into, or hold onto, power. Everything they do is geared toward that end, and all other considerations are secondary.

Someone here worked out recently that once all the politicians' perks, freebies and allowances are added up, they cost the Oz taxpayers just over $500,000,000 AUD per year. Yep, that's over half a billion dollars squandered on making sure our illustrious leaders continue to live in the style to which they've become accustomed. These allowances and travel expenses and such are on top of their six-figure salaries, and before the six-figure superannuation payouts that they receive every year after they retire - at whatever age they like.

Just wait until I've staged my revolution and the pollies are all lined up awaiting their turn on the gallows. Then they'll be sorry, you mark my words >:D

Art Blade

:-D

our parties are the same, they used to have political ideologies and certain social standings, only that we have got plenty more than what you call labour and liberal. New parties pop up like mushrooms after a rainfall. The list of candidates and their respective parties look like an exuberantly well composed fruit salad and the mushy fruitcakes aka politicians are just like yours all but after how to get into, stay in, and push others out of power and of course securing their ever growing income plus expenses.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on September 22, 2015, 11:14:19 PM
...If I'd actually voted for any of this rabble, I think I'd be pretty miffed if I saw the candidate of my choice shown the door and replaced with a non-elected leader without any consultation with the public. So much for the democratic process...

Looks like it is much the same everywhere.  In the election of our president, he/she can actually win the popular vote and lose the election because it is the electoral college (group of politicians) that actually votes in the new president.  I understand having this archaic method of election 200 years ago when there was little to no rapid communication, but today?  Really??

mandru

Maybe Abbott Castrato would have been a better combination.  I'm all for keeping the political ruling castes well away from breeding up their own replacements.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

nexor

You want to see a mushy fruit salad Art? 

Officially we have 13 political parties represented in Parliament, and 75 parties not represented in Parliament with roughly 31 Million registered voters

Art Blade

OK, nice. :laugh:

we've got 17 parties that are in either in our parliament or in the European parliament and 56 parties that have been eligible (including those 17) -- we're not much "better"  :-()

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_politischen_Parteien_in_Deutschland

Tags:
🡱 🡳