Merc War - Mercs vs Mercs, real firefight <incl savegame>

Started by Art Blade, June 02, 2009, 01:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I have started and watched several merc wars at Cockfights but was able to start a Merc war at a GP I couldn't recall ever visiting before .

I was running the GP south of the Dental Clinic (the one with the sniper tower) trying to get back to Mosate-Selao. I had two AT's on my tail by the time I reached the highway intersection just west of the railroad tracks. I was so preoccupied with evading the AT's I made a wrong turn at that intersection and ended up in the middle of a well manned GP at the river's edge.

I jumped out and got behind a rock for cover, shooting one merc on the way.

As the pursuing AT's crashed into mine, I heard a terrific fire fight but was surprised that it was not directed at me. I peeked around the corner and watched as a merc on the AT's machine gun and another on foot battled it out with 3-4 mercs.

Unlike the merc wars at Cockfights where I observe from a distance, this battle was fought just yards in front of me and I was able to see blood splatter from the mercs as they were hit. This went on for about an minute and then I stepped out and mopped up.

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Nice story :)

It doesn't happen often, but patrols on wheels may end up shooting it out with a GP you lured them to. For example, I occasionally started a merc war between Cock-Fights and the Jeep Wrangler that patrols the road from around the intersection to Scrap Salvage and around the GP at the next bridge.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Oh. Only four and a half years, since the last post. :( But at least it's not over yet.  :)

I had a very funny moment. Casually passing through Cock-Fights, I had of course to start a merc war. Never pass it without starting one :)

Then something happened what some of you said they never or barely ever saw, mercs firing a flare to call for help. I heard that merc go, "we need help," so I knew he'd fire a flare and tried to take a screenie because it looks so nice at night (they do fire flares in broad daylight, too).

Note the fine white line, anything white there near the centre of the pic, next to my scope. That's the flare about to pop..
[smg id=7286 type=preview align=center caption="flare mishap 1"]

Much rather than shooting it up into the sky, that dumbo had hit something not far above him, supposedly a branch of a tree, as the flare came straight back at him and popped on the ground, setting him on fire ("oh-oh-oh-oh-uaaaaaargh!") :laugh: LOL  :laugh:

[smg id=7287 type=preview align=center caption="flare mishap 2"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Nice one!  I frequently see them shoot off flares, but have not seen a merc torch himself yet!

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Art Blade

it's also funny when they toss a grenade and it comes bouncing back at them. BLAM! AAAAARGH! :laugh:

fragger

mandru

I love it when a group of mercs are firing on your position and one of them goes all gung ho and rushes you only to find himself picking up friendly fire.

Hey, hey.    Hey!!!
- mandru

PZ

:laugh: I forgot about that - haven't seen it in a while.  I have to admit that the mercs are the most interesting AI I have seen in any game

Art Blade

nice one, mandru -- that hey hey hey still makes me grin :)

The AI idle animations and the incredible amount of merc dialogues are the best I've ever come across and they make me enjoy this game so much. I keep saying it, FC2 isn't such a great game in my books and I only find it fun using cheats but the aforementioned AI is the best and perhaps the only reason why I have been playing the game for so long.

fragger

Me too :-D

I also love it when you hear the panicked merc who blubbers on about how he wishes he had never come here, says "I want to go home, I want to go home", and goes on about how he never should have bought the f**king ticket, never should have gotten on the f**king plane, etc. I can't remember how it all goes, but it's priceless :-()

PZ

I remember that line, fragger, seems to me it was reputation dependent.  Only heard it in Bowa, and then only when my reputation was high enough

Art Blade

that assumption of yours is correct, PZ, it is rep dependent. :)

mandru

Besides the limited pirate/privateer dialog (as previously mentioned) their lack of change in emotional demeanor depending on your reputation as you've built it up has been one of the things I've sorely missed in FC3.

From the very first ambush in FC3 everyone knows your name and they are all coming to get you and in the after game thrashing around for kicks (even after you've killed all their bosses and thousands of them to boot) they all still charge in headlong with the exact same taunts and challenges.  :(
- mandru

PZ

I can sum up the merc talk in FC3 in a single word: BORING (to the point of being irritating)

I hope that has been improved in FC4, but I doubt it  :D

Art Blade

Binnatics

Quote from: PZ on October 31, 2014, 11:09:02 AM
I hope that has been improved in FC4, but I doubt it  :D

I double doubt it. The merc conversations in FC2 are unequalled until today :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Like you guys, I doubt that, too.

From what I have heard so far (vids) the FC4 mercs sound like a copy of those of JustCause2 and I even heard known lines. What I haven't heard yet is, "it's all me!" I think the moment I hear that in any FC4 footage, the fate of FC4 will be sealed.

With tar and feathers.

Binnatics

:laugh:

Quote from: Binnatics on June 13, 2014, 09:30:50 AM
"Rocks and snow, rocks and snow... You know what you get when you mix these two? Cold hands!!!!" :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳