What's next after FC2?

Started by PZ, June 13, 2010, 10:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

As much as you love the game, are you almost finished in Africa, and looking for something new?  You might check out some of the other open world games that members have been discussing.  Here's an excellent post that summarizes the differences between FC2 and a next generation open world game, Just Cause2.

FC2 versus JC2

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mir24

Thanks PZ!

I saw JC2 listed in this forum and was wondering if it's any good.

And, it IS. Hahahah.

Must try once I finish off FC2...  :-X

spaceboy

I'll echo PZ's recommendation, mir24.  Art wrote a good synopsis of their differences and similarities in that link.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Even without playing JC2 I can say it sure is the next step for open world games fans!

It`s o my list together with Assassins Creed 2 and Red Dead Redemption!

Funny... they are all 3rd person games  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

TopHat01

Far Cry 2 is a completely different experience in which it aims for total immersion.  Its goal is capture an atmosphere so that when you enter its world, you feel like you're walking through the dusty town of Pala, or sneaking into an enemy base in night. The creative developer explains what their goal was in this interview.

JC2 is a third-person action game that's main objective is to satisfy the player.  It's ridiculous grapple hook feature that ignores gravity and laws of physics could keep one entertained for hours.  Combined with a massive island to horse around on along with infinite possibility to blow things up, JC2 is really about stunts, and how crazy and insane they are.  This video essentially details the goal of JC2.

I suppose what I'm getting at here is that FC2 and JC2 are two completely different experiences.  I don't really compare them, it's more about what I'm interested in playing when I boot up my PC. 

spaceboy

thats a good way to put it tophat.  Often "similar" games are quite different in my mind and I appreciate those differences (otherwise every game would be the same). 

I think a few small things that we all mentioned before JC2 came out could have made FC2 even better.  Some civilian traffic and pedestrians, and some way to climb a little better are two that come to mind.

Both games have given me great gaming experiences without a doubt.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

I played FC2 intensively (almost exclusively) for one year and I believe I know most of its aspects by now. I loved it :) JC2 for me is like moving on one step, leaving FC2's limits and going where JC2 has removed them. It is like the same basic idea but its world and freedom are just what I missed in FC2. Before playing JC2 I thought it might be the perfect continuation and having played it, I think it is :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TopHat01

^That's probably my difference.  I generally play FC2 in moderately portioned segments, and I'll often not play it for weeks, play something else, and then come back to it.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on June 14, 2010, 11:01:15 AM
... JC2 for me is like moving on one step, leaving FC2's limits and going where JC2 has removed them...
This is my sentiment exactly.  TopHat01 is correct in that the two games are completely different in atmosphere, but similar in the ability of the gamer to experiment.  Like Art, I too have played FC2 exclusively for nearly a year, and have come to realize the limitations as many of us have (weapons upgrades, lack of civilians, etc.)  These limitations and many others have been largely solved in JC2.

While JC2 might not be everyone's cup of tea, it has proved to be a worthy successor to FC2 for me.  Another one high on my list for experimentation value is RDR.

Art Blade

I agree with TopHat on that those games are different. That's why I stopped playing FC2 and went on playing JC2 ;D RDR however is out of my reach, being limited to a PC (or, not willing to switch to console).

TopHat01

Knowing Rockstar, I'm details about a PC version will start surfacing soon.  Looking back at GTA:IV, it released in April of '08 for X360 and PS3, and then released on PC in November of '08.  Hopefully RDR follows a similar pattern.

Art Blade

If so, you can count me in.. people here are all fascinated about it :)

mir24

I don't know about everyone else, but I just *wish* someone would come up with a sort of magic programming wand where I can select bits I like from one game, bits from another, and more bits from others, and put them all together to make a perfect game (well, perfect for ME)... Hahahah!

As much as game designers claim to make games for gamers etc. etc., I guess we all have different ideas of how a game should be like... There's just no pleasing everyone...  ;)

Edit: "PLEASING", not "Pelasing"!

fragger

Too true, mir24. Just before I bought FC2 I read some absolutely scathing reviews online about it being boring and repetitive, but I got it anyway because I was such a fan of the original. Once I got into it, I couldn't fathom what all the naysayers had been on about. It's one of my favourite games ever.

As for RDR, I too would love to get into that as I've always liked the idea of an open world western-themed game. Hopefully there will be a PC version, and hopefully I'll have upgraded my clattering old jalopy of a computer in time for it ;D

Art Blade

A hardcore gamer at heart like you, fragger, will be more likely to upgrade his rig than waste his money on anything else  ;D

fragger

That's right - who needs unnecessary luxuries like food, clothing, or running water? ;D

Need the electricity, though...

Art Blade

JC2 is already longing for better hardware than I've got, so I am tempted to buy at least a new vid card (cpu and all that should still be alright). But I'll hold back a little longer until, like you, I can't run a game at all any more. Then I will get a new rig, if I find a good prefab one :)

mir24

I echo the sentiment. My rig's only 3 years old and already I'm playing at Medium settings. I can only imagine playing FC2, FO3 and such at the highest resolutions! New graphics card very much in demand!

Ahhh bliss!

Fragger, you reminded me of that old Civ4 trailer:

Civ4 Addict: "There were times when I'd play the game for two, three days straight. Wouldn't get up to eat, wouldn't get up to go to the bathroom..."
Interviewer: "You didn't go to the bathroom for three days?"
Civ4 Addict: *pause* "I said I didn't get up ..."

LOL!  ;D

Who needs food, clothing, or running water indeed!

(You can see the trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br1BWPWEdlQ)

Anyone can suggest a good graphics card for an AMD Athlon 2 4200?

Art Blade

I think it's not a good idea to upgrade that old a rig with a state-of-the-art vid card. Basically you'd want to buy what used to be state of the art when you got your PC three years ago, or a vid card that used to be cool say two years ago. Those should be cheap by now and probably not available any more (lol) - better get a new PC entirely if you can afford it.

mir24

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, most likely the latest graphics cards won't fit into my CPU. Sigh.

And to think I forked out a huge amount for my PC then. And now, I have to fork another bundle less than 3 years since...

This is madness!

What I'd do for a handful of diamonds now!

PZ

Although we've talked about it before, I thought I'd mention it because it seems appropriate now - don't forget the option of building your own - you can save a ton of diamonds.

wexer9

fragger

Quote from: mir24 on June 14, 2010, 06:24:11 PM

Civ4 Addict: "There were times when I'd play the game for two, three days straight. Wouldn't get up to eat, wouldn't get up to go to the bathroom..."

LOL!  ;D

ROLF! ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: wexer9 on June 15, 2010, 01:26:21 PM
Ah, I love Civ IV. :)

I think I mentoned it elsewhere, but there's a Civ V in the works.

mir24

Quote from: fragger on June 15, 2010, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: mir24 on June 14, 2010, 06:24:11 PM

LOL!  ;D

ROLF! ;D ;D ;D

I ROFLMAO when I first watched that! Total classic!

Quote from: fragger on June 15, 2010, 06:55:49 PM
Quote from: wexer9 on June 15, 2010, 01:26:21 PM
Ah, I love Civ IV. :)

I think I mentoned it elsewhere, but there's a Civ V in the works.

There is, indeed. And this time, it's bye-bye squares and hello hexagons!  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳