Patch 1.04 out now

Started by fragger, August 19, 2016, 07:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

No patch notes as yet though... Should improve frame rates and support more hardware configurations, is all anyone's heard so far.  Patch notes are said to be on the way.

I've been trying to get the lowdown but it's murky at the moment.

I was just on Steam and it updated the game, dunno if that was the patch or not, I don't know how to find out. I ran the game but saw no version numbers anywhere, either in the titles or the menus.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I just played for several hours and not once experienced the orbit glitch. Could it be...? Or it might be coincidence. I've gone for a few hours before without that happening, and then bang - it's back. Not getting my hopes up yet. On the other hand, I got spat out on to the desktop tonight, which has not happened to me once in the week or so that I've been playing (after I got the game going, that is. I had to update my graphics driver at the start as the game wouldn't run at all).

Dweller_Benthos

Maybe this patch will let me get off the experimental branch now, hopefully.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

The patch is definitely in effect. I just ran the game and my frame rate has improved out of sight :-X Terrain drawing-in is a lot faster and smoother, such as when you're coming down from orbit. There is still some fade-in and visible redraw, but it's way better than it was.

fragger

(sigh) Well, the patch didn't fix the lift-off bug. And I've now had a second CTD, right after I spent nearly fifteen minutes lasering down a giant pillar of Iridium. I got in my ship, intending to get straight back out and save, but when I hit the key to get out, I got out all right - all the way out to my desktop. I reloaded and there's that dirty big pillar right in front of me with all its Iridium back in place, waiting to be lasered off all over again :D And I want it - Iridium can be relatively rare and there's nearly 750 pieces of it in that one pillar. I know, I mined it all already.

Oh well... time to roll up the sleeves, get the mining laser out and get back to w@&k ::)

Art Blade

there's no fun in that, agree.. but still better than what I had to do: sacrifice my entire career and start over from scratch.

However, I am convinced that the devs will do everything they can to get the game going. There's been some kind of shitstorm and lots of players are unhappy or quit playing, which is why I think they're even more so motivated to get things right as soon as possible. If it had been just "any" indy game, I'd have thought differently but this game is a dream come true for the boss of Hello Games, he's in it with heart and soul. I believe that if only for himself, he wants that game to run as he intended it to.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I even saw TV commercials for the game on PS4 so that makes it stick out of the Indy crowd for sure ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

You're right about Murray, he's passionate about his baby and wants people to love it, so he won't just walk away from it.

I actually can't believe the degree of hatred and venom that's been directed at him by some people who were disappointed with the game. I don't mean they were upset about the glitches and technical difficulties, I mean they didn't like the nature of the game itself. And it's apparent that many of those doing the hating were expecting a totally different game from what was advertised. As far as I'm concerned, Hello delivered the game they said they would. Some people only hear what they want to hear, even when it's something that was never said. They seemed to expect the sort of game that they wanted to play, and didn't pay proper attention to what the creators of the game were telling them. So when the game wasn't what they thought it was going to be because they didn't listen properly, they took it out on Murray, going so far as to call him a liar even sending him death threats.

I was pretty sure this would happen. I was saying before the game was released that I believed a lot of people would find it boring, because Hello was up front with their descriptions of what the game would be about and I knew it wouldn't appeal to the action crowd. I could tell by the comments on Youtube and the like that some people were expecting the gaming equivalent of something like Babylon 5, when it was clear from the devs that the game would be nothing of the sort.

Damn fools ::)

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

I saw a reddit post that outlined exactly what they were claiming and showing in the preview videos and a lot of it is not in the game. Things were specifically stated that could be done in the game that are not possible or don't even exist in the finished product. That's why a lot of people are mad. I didn't pay a lot of attention to those videos so it didn't matter much to me. So far I'm having fun with the game, and that's all that matters to me. If those features were in the game, that would be great, but I'm not mad they are not.
D_B

Art Blade

I see..

Hehe -- both posts make sense to me. What I knew about the game wasn't much, just like D_B, I didn't pay attention much but I am having fun. I don't remember the details that were supposed to be in the game but those that I do remember, are in the game.

Art Blade

regarding the latest patch:

I read that they fixed several problems with save games and even made the game accept corrupted save games and repair them in-game. They said that one reason for corrupted save games was that if you died and reloaded 10 times without dying, progress wouldn't be saved anymore until you died again and it also created large save game files. Mine were almost 5MB while it should have been less than 1MB.

So I restored my previous career that came to an end when I couldn't save anymore. Just to make sure I had myself killed by drones, picked up my stuff from the grave stone and then played as if nothing had ever happened. It works. I compared the new save game file size, it was only 0.8MB so they actually fixed my old career.

However, during my old (and first) career I made so many silly mistakes and decisions I wouldn't have made with what I know now, so I was quite appalled seeing my old gear and all that :laugh:

I will happily stick to my current 2nd career and reversed the backup. I am now where I have been before testing that patch's ability to "cure" corrupt save games.

Good job, Hello Games  :-X :)

fragger

A new update came down just now, don't know what it does yet.

Art Blade

add some pirates?

:laugh: Fragger, check the mods list D_B posted, there's an anti-pirate mod!

Art Blade

source: http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/#pc_1_07

QuotePC Patch 1.07

Objectives and stuck without Hyper-drive Issues

Player no longer able to redeem your pre-order ship at a point which would then prevent you learning the hyper-drive blueprint (and if you have done this, we save you).
    Player no longer able to bypass being sent to find hyper-drive tech by reloading a save in game at a very specific point.

Getting Stuck in the world

Fixed a couple of low repro bugs that could result in you falling through the world and getting stuck underground.
    A raycast in some space stations could hit a very specific point that would put the player inside the floor.
    Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to be thrown in the sky at high speed when taking off (in rare cases could in turn lead to getting stuck).
    Fixed an issue that would cause your ship to get stuck in terrain and prevent you from taking off, if the player managed to out run generation of terrain LOD 1, and land inside an overhang.

Gameplay

Some players were unable to achieve the extreme survival journey milestone, this has been resolved.
    Fixed an issue where some players had some technology types being reported as "already known" when they weren't actually known.
    Under some circumstances a message was sometimes misinforming you that you learnt a blueprint when you hadn't, this has been fixed now.
    It was possible you could use up all available slots for waypoints on the galaxy map and be unable to set new waypoints. This is much better now.
    There was a bug that could cause objective markers to disappear when you loaded a previous save. This is fixed now.
    Fixed a rare issue when scanning creatures that would cause all planets to show as 100% complete even if you had only completed one.

Save / Load

Fixed a bug what could cause some corrupt save games to not be loaded, this is now fixed.
    Fixed an issue where saves made with the system clock set in the future could cause problems.

Crash Fixes

Fixed a crash that would sometimes happen when warping into a system with a space battle in progress.
    Fixed a crash that could happen when interacting with an NPC.

Tweaks and Improvements

It is now easier to scan flying creatures.
    Fixed height and weight stats being the wrong way around for creatures.
    Gek towers can no longer be interacted with repeatedly.
    The 'You have unredeemed items' message will now only show for the first 5 minutes.
    Fixed getting 0% charge on Photon Cannon when buying a new ship and constantly being prompted to charge it.
    Reduce Suit VO for life support warnings and only do life support VO on 25% and 50%.
    Fixed grave being transferred to the new star system after you warp.
    Fixed toxic protection 3 (theta) from having the wrong name.
    Fixed incorrect marking of sea caves under floating islands.
    Turning down music and SFX volume in the options will now w@&k correctly (mutes the VO also).
    If you change ship or multi-tool and then revert to previous save the ship should now be the one you had at the time.
    Atlas station collision improvements to prevent you from bumping into them too much.
    Fix for the stars not being discarded during load/warp (causing duplicate stars).

PC Only Issues

Editing the settings file and corrupting it could cause the game to crash. Instead of crashing it will now revert back to the default settings.
    The inventory screen now works correctly regardless of resolution.
    Added error message for older CPUs without SSE3 support.
    Synchronise frame capping with the first vsync (removes some framerate issues).
    Added steam id to login call to help track down some login issues.
    Fixed the X key size on the galaxy map.
    If you press Tab+P in quick succession, the game paused and didn't let you out of it.
    Fixed a performance issue by defaulting your texture resolution to a sensible value based on available GPU memory.

fragger

Cheers Art :)

So, they fixed the liftoff-to-orbit bug, nice one 8) I haven't been getting that because I've been careful about where I land prior to mining a pillar and making sure I don't fly over the fresh stump of a mined one, but it's nice to know they've addressed it.

And the ship appearance glitch after buying. Oh well, we already established that it didn't last anyway.

Some good fixes there, well done Hello :-X

fragger

I don't think they quite fixed that bug they mentioned that could cause you to fall through the ground. I'd never had that one before - until today. My ship came down in a funny spot and when I jumped out I fell through the bottom of the game. I was stuck underground and couldn't get back out - I could turn on the spot and look around, but I couldn't move. I could see the underside of everything, and below me was a blurry view of space and planets. Couldn't jetpack out either, so I had to reload from my previous save.

I think it's a pretty rare bug, it's like that one you could sometimes get in FC2.

Art Blade

Art Blade

yesterday they released a 75MB patch but until now, there hasn't been any release information or change log update. Apparently Hello Games is a bit off the radar, probably due to all the negative reactions.

What I can tell you about it is that the gamma setting now actually works. Default is 128, and Binnatics suggested setting it to zero to reduce frame rate loss. I did set it to zero to see whether or not I'd see a difference and forgot about it (there was none for me). After the release, the game all of a sudden appeared a lot darker. I've now set it to 64.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I saw that update, and well, they decreased load in distance instead of increasing it like everyone wants. Now, when I land my ship, stuff just off the bow is still fizzling in when I get out. I even get fizzle in when walking around fast. They need to add an option to set load in distance so it can be customized to the system and not just assume everyone is on a PS4.
D_B

Art Blade

despite the fizzle and all that, I still get to see white patches in the landscape that will fill up with dark terrain when I'm almost next to them. Or, you see some crippled thin structure like stripes of bent metal sheets forming some weird portal or just a twisted column and when you get really close, it transforms into a doughnut-shaped round and thick arc or becomes a massive heridium column. Looks s#!t when taking screenshots from a distance. So yes, PS4 downgrade to PC level or was it the other way around?

Binnatics

I fired up the game yesterday because I felt like it, and while waiting for it to load the space travel animation with all the starts floating by was so incredibly stuttering that I decided to alt+tab out and quit before it even started. I didn't have the patience :angel:

edit: Funny enough I also got a link from a friend to a vid called No Man's Scam on youtube that was a general complaint about the game being a sellout. Not very interesting or new, but something I found funny about it; the guy shows images of one of these lead devs who was so often being interviewed, and asked about the possibility of meeting each other where he was, we know now, actually lying. The sorry-a$$ smile on his face caught my attention:

! No longer available
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Good lord, there's soooo many videos complaining about this game. I think it's going to be quite a challenge finding a positive, or at least a neutral report about the gameplay. Lol :o

Art Blade

Binnatics

Oh man, yes it's a good one, and damn! I watched it. Almost full. Now I've come to the point where I can't see or hear this Sean guy ever again. What a filthy liar.
And what a nasty role, maybe, of IGN hyping the living daylight out of this release. Were they paid by Sony to actually cause this hype? I wonder....

Tags:
🡱 🡳