Argh, stupid! (lol)

Started by Art Blade, August 23, 2009, 05:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Art I keep coming back to your initial post on this thread with this picture. It has had me giggling since last night.

http://openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=media;id=1265;preview

(I hope I did that right I'm very new at this)(Hmm... I got the link, Rt click new window shows it - I'll w@&k on it)

[smg id=1265]
edited it for you - if you edit this message, you can see the code how it's done /Art
Because of the handgun in the foreground I keep flashing back to the M.A.S.H. episode where Frank Burns showing off drives the tank over Col. Potter's command jeep. Potter being old cavalry does the merciful thing and fires a round into the jeep at point blank range to put it out of its misery and the ricochet sends everyone diving for cover.

I've got tears in my eyes just trying to write this up with a straight face.

- mandru
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on September 25, 2009, 09:52:53 AM
I've got tears in my eyes just trying to write this up with a straight face.

hehehe :)

check (edit) your last post mate - I did edit it for you - so you can see how it's done ;)

By the way, you can edit your profile and add "- mandru" to your signature so you don't have to type your signature all the time. Look at PZ's and mine. Easier that way :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Quote from: PZ on September 25, 2009, 07:15:44 AM
One nice thing about the ATV though is it's ability to fit into extremely tight spaces.  A fun exercise is to plaster it with IEDs and dive it past the barricades to park it in front of the APR or UFLL headquarters, whichever you dislike the most during that play through.

Nice!! Never thought to try that one before!

Mandru, I too am often amazed by the depth of the conversations you can overhear in this game.  This one time I jumped a GP at night and I really got the drop on these guys, took most of them out before they even knew what hit them.  Anyway this is late in the game, so my rep is at like 4.  I am creeping down along the edge of this building when suddenly this is what I hear:
Merc 1:  He's out there motherf!#$%r! He's out there and he's lookin' for you man, he's lookin for you!
Merc 2:  Shut up man!!! Just shut up!!!

Art Blade

At that rep level I like the panic in their voice and lines, when they go like "where is everybody? One, two, three, all dead." "I wanna go home!!!" "Please don't let me die like this"  and so on :)

mandru

I would so love to wander back into Port Selao or Sephapane with the level 5 Rep you get during the endgame just to see the cockroaches scurry.  ;D

Unfortunately I've tried breaking off in the South, going back up North to Pala at level 4 Rep to see if there was additional dialog from the mercs and was disappointed.

Shot while assembling my sizable honor guard to proceed me, dumped into a meat wagon, hauled out into the desert as dead during an all out sand storm for disposal, then I stagger out of the desert by now looking like walking death and kill the remaining leader's victory rally, literally, for an encore.

And I get no street cred for it? Sheesh! Tough crowd.

The best I can get out of them is a petulant "Yeah! What?" I guess once they've killed ya they figure they can do it again if they need to. Talk about no respect.  :-\

- mandru

mmosu

Yeah the town chatter is great to eavesdrop on too.  During the same playthrough I was talking about earlier, I was walking around Sefepane and overheard two mercs talking about me.  They were saying something to the effect of "between the factions and this psycho merc running around, it's a wonder we haven't all lost it ..."
They gave me my props, so I let those two live, at least that day . . . ;)

Art Blade

hehe, sometimes you hear a merc shout "careful! I hear he's psychotic!" ;D

spaceboy

I always enjoyed taking aim at a particularly cheeky merc in town and seeing how he starts off scared, but then starts getting tough.  One time a buddy of his came over and told me to cool off or something like that.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

Do you know this line, after you lowered your weapon? "You just saved your a$$." - That's exactly the wrong thing to tell me in a moment like that.  ;D BANG

mandru

OK, I've got a merc's buddy interaction at a point of me pushing conflict.

I was rep level 4 in Port Selao on the main East-West street, I accidentally wandered too close to the Northwest faction red zone and the first merc challenged me saying "Where the hell you think you're going?"

The second merc stepped up and quickly as if he recognized me interjected "What he meant to say was this is a restricted area please!"

I wasn't ready to hash it out right then but will have to try sometime to push that situation to see if it can be milked for more.
- mandru

Art Blade

yeah, I heard that too when I was on rep4. Like one silly merc showing still the same bad manners and the other one anticipating what might come next tries to settle it before it even starts. lol

mmosu

I like to pick a guy at random and start a shoving match.  You just keep bumping in to the same guy until the shooting starts.  It works better if you can find a guy walking down an alley by himself though cause after about the second bump a crowd usually starts to gather

Art Blade

haha, that's funny. First gather people and then a record attempt on how many you can take down before they punch out your lights :)

spaceboy

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 12:29:13 AM
OK, I've got a merc's buddy interaction at a point of me pushing conflict.

I was rep level 4 in Port Selao on the main East-West street, I accidentally wandered too close to the Northwest faction red zone and the first merc challenged me saying "Where the hell you think you're going?"

The second merc stepped up and quickly as if he recognized me interjected "What he meant to say was this is a restricted area please!"

I wasn't ready to hash it out right then but will have to try sometime to push that situation to see if it can be milked for more.

That's great - I hadn't heard that before.  Another reason why I love the AI in FC2 - it's really dynamically appropriate.

Quote from: mmosu on September 28, 2009, 02:09:57 PM
I like to pick a guy at random and start a shoving match.  You just keep bumping in to the same guy until the shooting starts.  It works better if you can find a guy walking down an alley by himself though cause after about the second bump a crowd usually starts to gather

I've done this too - only normally in town.  I like bumping into them and then they shove me - I only wish I could shove back instead of just running into them. 
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

mandru

Then you'd best be careful when you pick up that diamond on the balcony in Port Selao and drop down to the sidewalk or you may suddenly have your hands full of an angrier merc than you care to handle.  :P
- mandru

Art Blade

mmosu

Quote from: mandru on September 28, 2009, 12:29:13 AM
I've done this too - only normally in town.  I like bumping into them and then they shove me - I only wish I could shove back instead of just running into them.

I have noticed though that if you sprint into somebody it often gets a bigger reaction than just a shoulder bump ("MOTHERF@#$%ER!!!!!!!!"  vs.  "you best watch yourself mate!")

Art Blade

hehe, yeah... on higher rep, if you bump into someone's back, they often utter a shocked surprise "oooaaAAAH!" and the likes :)

mandru

My latest stupid lesson learned.

I've been using GL-ATs a lot more recently in fact I just made my "first" trip starting from Mike's at the marina and making driving the full circumference of the lake encouraged by some of the strategies and tips I've found posted here at OWG.

Starting out West I first hit the old gas station CP then the pump house(smashed the CP, grabbed the diamond) and skipped the pipeline for later. I unlocked the safe house there at that nearby cell tower and cleared the next CP at the "T" in the road before detouring up into the loop around the diamond mine just far enough to grab both diamonds at the Northern side of that ring road.

Then back down to the road to the high sniper's post overlooking the pipe line to grab that diamond and tape. Then down the hill and smashed that CP by the lake shore again to make the left to go North into Selao.

Following on around the lake there at the last CP between me and mike's I stopped with my back wheels on the train tracks to give the AT's nose just a bit of angle down and shelled anything that moved and I was on the home stretch and easily cleared the last At patrol and the two Datsun dummies and was safe.

Needless to say that I was feeling pretty cocky about not only making my first circumnavigation of the lake but I had managed to keep my GL-AT intact for the trip with just the occasional bit of touch up service.

I guess to celebrate when I left Mike's after that I stopped up the hill and laid in wait for the first DD to come along sitting cross legged on top of the gun turret clutching my MGL 140. Really wanting to enjoy it I waited until I could see the whites of his eyes before delivering the lightening. Oops! :-[

I'd gotten so used to blasting close range with the GL-AT and taking a bit of singe damage I'd forgotten that you have to part of the truck, either in the driver's seat or "in" the turret to keep the truck from blowing up due to close proximity from a blast like I'd just metered out.

I usually try to avoid accepting rescue from a buddy and will reset and replay a segment instead but my most recent save would have set me back about a half hour's worth of game play and put me clear back to grabbing the diamonds at the diamond mine.  :-\

Oh well I thought, as Andre fished me out of the fire and hauled me off to a safe distance, it's good to resharpen those rudimentary skills from time to time. Little things like proper equipment usage and remembering to save regularly.
- mandru

PZ

I'll bet that was quite the shocker - I recall not too long ago taking the stupidity of the mercs for granted on the west side of Bowa (where there are several walking thugs near a GP).  I had the misfortune to encounter an ATP just when I arrived next to the GP - halted my truck and mercs from north and south overwhelmed my position.  Shocked the heck out of me when they did me in.  Needless to say, my embarrassment must have been evident to anyone watching.  :-[

Art Blade

nice story there, mandru, I see you found a new way of enjoyment doing things you haven't done for a while, if at all. What you and PZ told us, about a surprising defeat, especially if self-inflicted hehe, is well known to many of us.

I find myself buried under my own burning GL-AT from time to time after dishing out grenades without thinking... as in too close a blast radius from vehicles I took out or by simply confusing my silent MP5 with an M-79 handheld grenade launcher, a deafening blow and a shock to me when trying to shoot my engine so I could make it "battle-ready" :)

(that is if you fear the next bump in the road might turn your engine into a steaming kettle, you shoot it with bullets, rather than grenades, so it does start to steam, then repair it, so the engine is at full health before you drive into a combat zone. See funny tactics and tips for further information).

mandru

Heh heh PZ and Art, those are good ones. To save my accuracy percentage I use the machete to jimmy my AT's warranty but fully understand the mix up.

Earlier someone recounted forgetting how pretty big trucks fly when they go boom and experienced a total eclipse and had a second to reflect on "How could that be?", to which I can totally relate. ::)

And I do use my M-79 on an AT while standing on its hood just to call up a buddy to give them their discharge.  ;)

I guess we all have those moments which explains why this is the 73rd post on this thread and I'll bet nowhere near the last.

By the way when your buddy rescues you and there are enemies nearby, they give you their favorite secondary weapon which never happens to be my particular favorite.

If you go back to where you got dropped you can often find your original weapon and grab it back. It will be considered a used weapon from then on and crud up much more quickly but even a gimpy used weapon you prefer because it rounds out your battle kit beats a weapon you'll probably never use. Just remember to swap it as soon as you get a chance.

Get thee to an armory!

- mandru

Art Blade

hehe :) What I do quite successfully is, on passing out, change to machete. They won't take that and replace it... if you're lucky, you'll wake up and still have your fave secondary ;) Or, try to pass out near a landmark. Better to find your dropped lead spitter there later on.  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳