Major Milestones Achieved

Started by eor123, September 06, 2010, 02:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I just completed what was probably my 6th complete play through of FC2. I have a whole library of games but FC2 is the only one that I have any interest in replaying numerous times.

During this play through I accomplished some new things:

Exploiting the safe house door gap I learned about here, I finally killed that a$$hole Prince. I've wanted to off him ever since my first play through.

However the biggest accomplishment was gaining a Level 5 reputation before entering the Heart of Darkness. I've never been able to do that.

I suppose this was the result of sparing Greaves at Sepoko and Vorhees at the diamond mine and returning to Mosate Saleo and killing Quieppo and Kankaris, respectively.   Again...this is something I read about here but had never tried before.

You can bet I saved the game out at that point...all weapons and upgrades and a Level 5 rep. Some serious free roam carnage and chaos will ensue at some point in the future. 

And for the final act, I managed to grab the case of diamonds at the Landing Strip and run away without a scratch. Nasreen apologized prior to my planned demise me but was left standing at the Landing Strip yelling, "f@#$!" as I sprinted off through the swap.  I envisioned her jumping up and down in her frustration, her boobs bouncing angrily. Yet..I digress. For some reason I had thought it was necessary to kill the buddy at the Landing Strip prior to grabbing the diamonds.

I also heard unfamiliar dialogue on this play through -- amazing given how much time I have spent playing this game. I heard a quip from one of the mercs referring to me as a "Colonial." It really stood out as it was completely different from any of the banter you typically hear in a firefight.

Oddly enough, I now have the location of all but a few diamond cases committed to memory. I was stumped by one last case and had to refer to one of the maps showing the locations.

So what did I do after the credits stopped rolling late last night?

I changed characters, increased the difficulty to Hardcore and started over, of course!

;D

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

JRD

Congratulations eor123!  :-X

You might not hold the record for most times playing through FC2, but I'm pretty sure you hold the record for longest extended gameplay!!! :-X :-X :-X :-X

No one else is seriously playing FC2... I for one fire FC2 for fun every now and then, but I rarely spend more than one hour shooting mercs and doing missions!

We are also glad to know that OWG helped you finding more funny stuff to do in FC2, after all our moto is "have fun"  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

eor123

As long as new and different things keep happening, or I can find a different tactic or weapon set to complete a mission, I'll keep playing.

....or at least until Halo Reach is released.  ;)

This afternoon after being rammed by a pursuing AT, I took a wild ride down the side of a mountain on the Unimog. I lost count of how may times I rolled and flipped end over end, while being shot at by the AT. It came to rest upside down near the northern gun store in Leboa and I was taking fire form three mercs before I could even get out of the damn thing.

Now that's entertainment.   ;D
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

well done, Eeyore ;D

I've not yet managed to run away unharmed with the diamond case, let alone not killing those pesky buddies at the LZ.. sounds like a new one to me  :) :-X

Although I am like JRD, spending occasionally some time with FC2, in the past when I was playing the game excessively I tried out about everything there is in FC2. Good times to remember :)

Quote from: JRD on September 06, 2010, 02:48:55 PM
No one else is seriously playing FC2

Well, mandru is :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Congrats on your accomplishments with this play through.  I guess if there wasn't so much packed into this game the end credits wouldn't be nearly so long.  ;D

And regarding:
Quote from: Art Blade on September 06, 2010, 05:01:31 PM

Quote from: JRD on September 06, 2010, 02:48:55 PM
No one else is seriously playing FC2

Well, mandru is :)
Yeah, afraid so.  ::)

But there is a lot less activity over in the FC2 section of the boards as people move on to newer games.

When I had my computer built for me there were a couple games, Halo 2 and FC2 that I was comped gratis because of the components I selected.  I received a free copy Halo 2 for my graphics card which I tried to load when my computer was fresh out of the box and caused the only serious crash my computer has ever experienced.  Needless to say I dug that monster out of my computer with a cutting torch and hammer and used the disc for a beverage coaster at my computer desk until it became too warped and wobbly from all the cups of hot coffee that had been set on it.

It was either the HAF Cooler Master case or the eVGA X58 motherboard that caused the copy of FC2 to show up with my system.

To be completely honest I was so leery of what had happened with the Halo 2 fiasco and was of a frame of mind that I didn't really want to play a soldier/army game that I almost tossed FC2 aside and reached back into the boxes of games that I have from older systems that I used to enjoy but I went ahead and loaded FC2 knowing that if I needed to I could remove it again.

The most recent game I'd played with acclaimed graphics at the time of release was HL2 Episode 1.  Let me tell you, the taxi ride into Pala that opens FC2 had me wanting to see more and by the end of the tutorial I was pretty well hooked.

I'll probably keep playing FC2 until it stops surprising me (now I've got to keep my ears open for the word colonial  ????) though I am starting to cast an eye about for another game as I'm probably in my 75th + time through FC2 or maybe go back to the HL2 series and see what it looks like on this system compared to the computer I used to play HL2 on that now seems to have responded like a tin lizzy.

I did load Diablo about a year back from the dusty old game box but this computer is so fast that it doesn't allow the duplication bug used to cheat and build wealth faster so I pretty much lost interest in a couple hours and never went back to it.

Africa was calling, I had to answer and not just because I enjoy getting my money's worth out of a free game. 8)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

JRD

Well, turns out I was wrong!  ::)

Nice to see some trusworthy member keeping the FarCry2 torch lit!  8) :-X :-X :-X

eor123

Boy am I screwed.

The upstairs door at APR HQ is closed and I can't get what I assume is the last mission. Restarting the game and rebooting the PS3 doesn't resolve it. I went back to an earlier save point but it was too recent and whatever I did to cause the game to glitch was already in the works. The next save point back is many hours back. Further than I want to go.

I had this happen once before but somehow worked around it -- I think by restarting from a earlier save point.

I've done All possible missions and collected all diamonds in Hardcore.  :D :D :D

I think what confused the game was attacking the lodge at Goka Falls before getting the mission to do so. I was in the neighborhood and thought I would go ahead and collect the last diamond. I crashed the glider but figured out how to get up on the rock ledge without it.

s#!t. Never should have gone to Goka Falls. Never should have climbed that path. Never should have killed all those guys. Never....

;D

PZ

That's a shame - the only thing I can think of is to wander around doing whatever you can for a while in the hopes of resetting the mission - maybe getting yourself killed, etc.

Good luck with it  ;)

mandru

Sorry I'm not familiar with the w@&k arounds on PS3.  Have you checked your journal to see if there's some requirement being missed to get in to get that mission?

Other than that I'm at a bit of a loss.

It does seem that the door man at the entrance wouldn't have let you in ("Nothing for you today man") if there wasn't supposed to be a briefing waiting upstairs.  ????

I know that when a bug pops up in the game on my PC, a save at that point also saves the bug too.  Hmm...
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

eor123

I tried about everything. The glitch is saved.  >:(

Note to self...make periodic saves other than after the tutorial.

Oh well...back to hotel in Pala.

Art Blade

Quote from: eor123 on September 07, 2010, 06:49:00 PMsh!$. Never should have gone to Goka Falls. Never should have climbed that path. Never should have killed all those guys. Never....

;D

Hahaha  :-() I know the line you're paraphrasing  ;D :-X

Quote from: eor123 on September 07, 2010, 08:10:29 PMNote to self...make periodic saves other than after the tutorial.

Oh MAN  ??? ^+-+
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

A silly thought

Can you use the mortar glitch to get into the office?

I mean... if the door is closed, the glitch won`t let the game trigger the mission brief... but maybe they are there, inside, pretending there`s no one home!!  ::) ;D

eor123

The funny thing is I usually have numerous saves at different points in the game, but this time I got cocky. I mean...what can go wrong, huh?

Oh not much...just a failure to complete Act One and progress...that's all.  ;D

I said I had completely played FC2 through six times. After I thought about it, it is at least eight and maybe ten. I've done several on both the Xbox and the PS3 and lost count.

Being the OCD maniac I am, I started over. Thought I'd be Josip this time since we are about the same age. Hardcore again. Going to see how far I can get using the Homeland shotgun / Golden AK47, the .45 pistol, and the crossbow.  Flora is my best bud this time. Going to be hard to let her die to get the extra two missions. I may not be able to do it.

Already have all the assassination missions done, one main mission, and two convoy missions. I've rescued all but the crash victim and have already collected about 80 cases. And yes...I have a a couple of saves. 

I have never tried the mortar glitch. I think I read that a patch eliminated that on the consoles.

Did just hear something new between two mercs at the fishing village.

"Hey, you look familiar!"
"What?"
"Must be a family resemblance. I buggered your sister!"
"f@#k you!"

^+-+

JRD

Quote from: eor123 on September 08, 2010, 02:22:08 AM

Did just hear something new between two mercs at the fishing village.

"Hey, you look familiar!"
"What?"
"Must be a family resemblance. I buggered your sister!"
"f@#$ you!"

^+-+

Excelent...  ^+-+ :-X :-X :-X

Art Blade

I heard that one in town (either Pala or Port Selao) :)

PZ

Quote from: eor123 on September 08, 2010, 02:22:08 AM
...I have never tried the mortar glitch. I think I read that a patch eliminated that on the consoles.

You're correct about this one - very early on in my plays through FC2 I wanted to experience the mortar glitch, but alas - I believe that one of the earliest patches "fixed" that issue.

eor123

Took me about 15 hours of game play to get back to where I was when I got stuck. Went ahead and completed the game for what I think may have been the 10th time [ 3rd time on "Hardcore"] -- all missions, diamonds, tapes, weapons, etc.  I did lose Xianyang at the diamond mine, though. His death really didn't bother me much. Man, he is annoying.

Went back to Leboa with a Level 5 Rep and a GLAT. Created some serious havoc. 

After the credits rolled, I switched to Paul and selected "Infamous." I've beaten it twice on "Infamous" but had forgotten how difficult it is. It requires a completely different mindset. Flora and I are getting pretty well acquainted in the field.  ;D

I've dropped my controller in exasperation several times already.  :D

I hate to admit I've gone down three times at that goofy guard post in the middle of the intersection near Pala. Those guys are really aggressive now. Guess they got fed up with being run over.

One time poor Flora got stuck in one of those "death do-loops" where she screams and repeatedly falls  injured with no enemy in sight. I kept running back from the safe house to save her until finally she succumbed. I've seen that happen twice before -- where I am rescued by a buddy and the enemy is cleared out, but the rescue buddy keeps getting injured for no apparent reason. You can can save them twice but they die the third time. I reverted to a previous save as I didn't want to kill her off with only 8% of the game completed!

I am still hearing things I've never heard before -- caught a comment about how I am rumored to have some kind of shaman-like skill to make myself invisible. There was an African word for it but I missed it.

This will be the first playthrough in which I am not doing any of the buddy/side missions -- just the main, assassination, and convoy missions. And I'm only going to collect as many diamonds as I need to get the handful of weapons and equipment I prefer ASAP. Curious how long it will take to complete the game.

Art Blade

good read, Eeyore. :)

I haven't seen that glitch with a rescue buddy getting injured without apparent reason, but I heard someone dying endlessly ("ahh, ugh, ow, argh, ahh, ugh, ow..").

I never played the game through on hardcore nor on infamous, not even "normal"  ;D I did test a little of everything but man am I glad I was allowed to play on easy.

The first time I played the game was without sidequest, just like you all I did was the arms dealer missions and getting just enough diamonds so I could afford to buy weapons and upgrades needed. I remember how hard it was to gather enough stones to buy the camo suit and I was disappointed at how little it did.

eor123

I w@&k hard to gather diamonds in order to buy to buy the camo suit early in the game but like you, I wonder how much it really helps.

It think it may make more difference at the higher difficulty levels. As I started this play through it seemed like the AI was aware of my presence much earlier than after I bought the suit.

And it seems that increased AI alertness and aggressiveness are key components of increasing difficulty.

Maybe it is psychological.... 

mmosu

Eor, I've seen that death loop glitch before too - I wonder if it's somehow more common on the console versions  ????

Art Blade

The camo suit is something so subtle it isn't really worth 40 stones (if I remember the price correctly). For my taste it should have had a significant  impact, like being able to breathe down a merc's neck without him seeing you. That  would have been funny :)

eor123

45 Diamonds for the Camo suit.

And ooops...i forgot that you have to do the buddy missions in order to upgrade the safe houses. Duh.

Back up and re-group.

Kinda need that ammo and health on Infamous. You only get 90 rounds for the assault rifle in Leboa.  120 in Bowa if you purchase the ammo upgrade.

90 rounds don't  seem to go very far in Infamous. Mercs are much harder to kill. Head shots are almost mandatory unless you want to blow half a clip per merc.

Art Blade

That reminds me. Back in the day when games only used to register either a hit anywhere on the body or none at all, I was extremely surprised when invited over to a LAN party where some mates were playing counter strike. That was the first game I played where body parts made a difference, and ever since all I do is going for headshots. Just as you say, it's the only way to get rid of any opponent with the least amount of ammo  ;D

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on September 13, 2010, 01:00:16 PM
(...) and ever since all I do is going for headshots. Just as you say, it's the only way to get rid of any opponent with the least amount of ammo  ;D

specially in FC2 where a whole clip to a shirtless guy won't do the trick  >:(( :D

PZ

Quote from: JRD on September 13, 2010, 01:05:35 PM
specially in FC2 where a whole clip to a shirtless guy won't do the trick  >:(( :D

^+-+ ^+-+ ^+-+  I forgot about that!  Those mercs must have been on PCP  >:D

Tags:
🡱 🡳