Easier time in the south?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 18, 2013, 12:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I remember back in the FC2 days people complaining that the south was harder than the north. I just got to the south island and once you get the disguise and can walk around the privateers, I find that it's a bit easier than the north. Sure, once you start attacking outposts it's a little harder, especially if you haven't upgraded your weapons, like me, but just wandering around and getting radio towers is a cinch because you don't get attacked. Twice now while opening radio towers I've seen a couple of guys wandering around nearby. One set was just walking around, another had stopped their jeep and got out to look around. I walked up to them, said hello and once they turned their backs, chained takedown for max XP.

On the north island while I was still getting radio towers I was constantly running into pirate road patrols and getting into firefights with them. So far, the south is a breeze.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Having finished the main story mission you'll find yourself stripped of that merc suit and things will return to "normal" (particularly if you use the then available option to reset all outposts..)  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 18, 2013, 12:15:10 PM
... I walked up to them, said hello and once they turned their backs, chained takedown for max XP.

... same here - I cannot resist taking them down.  It is as if my knife has a mind of it's own.

Art Blade

posting at the same time again, are we?  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

And I was UNABLE TO BLOODY POST!!! Due to something that cloudflare called 'temproarily unavailable >:((

Here's my post:

I agree that the south isn't in all ways harder than the north. In some ways it's indeed easier. I haven't much experience with the effect of the suite, since I pretty much went straight killing when seeing privateers, and I guess that I've discovered the entire island (items, radio towers etc) before getting that suit. But I really do think that the privateers are heavier soldiers. I'm playing on Master now, and I think I will be glad to put that suit on. Currently fighting the reds and they are already up for quite some challenge :)

Besides, the open aspect of the landscape makes the world a lot easier to conquer. You can approach outposts from far away, and with a sniper it's peanuts to get them without being seen. I remember taking out an entire outpost but not getting the reward for it ???? Turned out that I was too far away to unlock it. Once I came closer the reward popped up ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

(I had to leave the browser for a few hours before being able to post again, cloudflare..)

Outposts that stay "un-" liberated? I too had that a few times, and like you, I had to get closer to get the message, literally.  :-D The first time it nearly drove me crazy, trying to find dogs or red shirts or yellow jackets who were supposedly hiding somewhere.  :D ^-^

PZ

Art Blade

fragger

The south island is easier to move around in by dint of the privateer suit (at least until the story is over, as Art said) but you can get pretty busy if the privateers set off an alarm at an outpost. Usually there's quite a lot of reinforcements and sometimes even helicopters.

I was once doing a Wanted Dead in the south island, one where the target is among old Jap bunkers on top of a hill, in an old gun emplacement. A passing patrol somehow caught wind of something fishy (I think they may have seen one of the dead guards) and stopped to investigate. I managed to take out the leader, but then I suddenly had more bad guys than I could handle. After the first patrol had stopped to see what was up, another patrol had done the same and heard the ruckus I was making with the first patrol, then there was another patrol, and another, and another, and I finally ended up somewhat dead.

mandru

Moving around among the privateers is easier once you are properly attired but getting that bloody initiate suit by sneaking undetected through a freaking underground base with pinch point after pinch point was just about the toughest damn thing I encountered in the entire game.  ???

Potential spoiler:
Spoiler

**There is another metal cage (dog kennel?) like the one Hoyt used to burn the Rakyat warrior to death in before the gathered troops (there in the sneak-through-base) to demonstrate his ultimate bad assness located in one of the huts near the dock where you blow up the escaping PT Boat after burning the pot fields in the mission Kicking The Hornets Nest.  :-X **

Comparatively the Ink Monster was a breeze once I figured out how to use the mini-map to target the shadow minions portion of the trial and that I didn't have to stand in one place to but was able to dart around to avoid incoming energy bursts.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

Well, I guess I'm going to do everything while I still have the disguise on, sure makes roaming around the island almost worry free, and getting XP kills to fill out those last skills I need.

Incidentally, once you have all the skills, is there any use fro XP after that? Do you still keep getting it, even though it's not good for anything?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

D_B, no use for XP after that. Which means, you may as well take out outposts as loudly and detected as can be, doesn't make any sense any more to do it stealthily except of course you like it like that.  :)

Fragger, I had the exact same circumstances with that mission  :-D Only I found an easy solution: Run into a bunker and have them watch me doing so.  Of course they came pouring in like pearls on a necklace..  which kept me busy doing takedowns in a row until they clogged up the entrance as if it was a seasonal clearance sale for top notch weaponry where I was expecting them.  :-D

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳