New Vegas quick review

Started by RedRaven, October 26, 2010, 05:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

A good cinematic opening, complete with James Bond style score, sets the scene with a brief history lesson on the area and your character.

Character creation / customisation follows a very similar pattern to FO3, this time there is no childhood to go through (which is a bonus in my opinion).

As soon  as you start playing its like putting on a pair of old slippers, the majority of actions, menu's etc are just as they are in FO3 which makes it very easy to focus on the story itself rather than having to learn new layouts.

Game play is nice and smooth, graphics on the PS3 version are better than my FO3 PC adventures. So far I have not strayed much beyond the 'Goodsprings' settlement as I'm taking it nice and slow.  Enjoying the scenery and NPC's.

The one thing that really helps me is V.A.T.S.
Aiming on a PC with mouse & keyboard is so much easier than with a gamepad but V.A.T.S. takes that problem away ;D .

Will post a more comprehensive review and rating after some more days of playing, but if you like FPS / Adventure / Open worlds then Fall Out New Vegas is a must have game.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

nice one, Red :) Keep us posted..

What you just said about VATS makes perfect sense, it is apparently essential for a console player while on PC it's just a gimmick.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Good read, Red - I feel the same as you do  :-X

I've finally made it quite a bit further in the game than I was the last time I posted, and am doing some of the more complex missions issued in New Vegas.  Interestingly, it appears that what you choose to do can dramatically change the outcome of what you have started, i.e., there seems to be more depth to this story.

fragger

RedRaven

Well it has taken me a few weeks to find time to get into New Vegas but I'm finally there! Way behind you all on exploration!

Quick question for you all - What are peoples preferred Perks and why ?

Cheers.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

That's a tough one, but a good question.  I don't know much about them so it is just a guessing game for the most part.  However, I used "here and now" to instantly level up, "finesse" to increase the probability of a critical strike, and "scrounger" for more ammo in stock piles.

Art Blade

If it is anything like FO3, then one would need to write an essay the size of half a bible to answer that question, Red  ;D Best thing you can do is: read the description of a perk and decide for yourself if you might like it or not.  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

FNV is very much like FO3.  In fact, the same cheats appear to w@&k, as are many of the meshes and textures from FO3

Ricamundo

Crashes are similar to FO3 as well. ;D I have to say, although im enjoying the game, unlike FO3, on my first playthru, i can skip a day or 2 of playing this one, and play something else, and that when i am playing NV, i keep getting that "been there, done that" feeling.

All the stuff that Obsidian sweated over, like the card games, gambling, and crafting, are of little or no interest to me, and unlike FO3, the main quest in NV is a muddled mess. I've no idea what path to take at this point, so im concentrating on exploring the rest of the map, and picking up side quests here and there.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

I guess I'm just lucky - have installed lots of mods, and have only experienced a single CTD, due largely to my own lack of attention to detail - wrong mod order.  :-()

I know what you mean about that "been there, done that.." feeling.  Because the textures are so similar to FO3, it makes one feel more like this is just an extension of the same game, rather than an entirely new piece.  In fact, I was a bit disappointed when I first fired up the game and saw how similar it was in appearance to FO3.

I agree about the quests - I don't know the main mission - if I ever did, I've forgotten about it due to the side quests.  Right now, I have a large list of quests that I'm working on, with no particular goal in mind.  It is nice though, that I can leave one for a while and return back later when I want to - that's a great feature.

Tags:
🡱 🡳