OBS - Open Broadcaster Software

Started by PZ, November 04, 2015, 03:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

For anyone that wants to do screen capture, live video broadcasting, or even game video broadcasting/recording, OBS appears to be a fine open source (free) solution. I have played with it for the past day, and it does remarkably well - even was able to live stream my desktop on YouTube

https://obsproject.com/

fragger

Nice find PZ, looks interesting. Certainly can't argue with the price :-()

I like to see these open-source projects being developed with community contribution. The 3D modelling program Blender is another such that I like to use, which I went on about elsewhere. There's a kind of spirit of generosity with these things that you rarely find in the non-online world.

PZ

I agree, fragger - it is nice to see that there still a few people without ulterior motives, nor private agendas. 

Sometimes I feel quite cynical in my approach to the world, but when I encounter projects like this, I realize that there are still people that contribute simply for the sake of contribution, with no expectation of reward or compensation.

Sad really... that the world is what it has come to be.

Art Blade

erm, just looking at the subject of this topic, Opdn Broadcaster Software.. that "Opdn," could that originally have been "Open" Broadcaster Software?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

oops - yes - "Open" - I have a cut on the tip of my left 4th digit  :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

A lot a Youtubers use this, I guess it's pretty decent, does picture in picture for face cam, does streaming, etc. But I think the feature most Youtubers like most about it is the price.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

PZ

The price is definitely reasonable.  I use Camtasia Studio for most of my video recording for w@&k, and FRAPS for gaming on the PC, neither of which are free. Both are very capable (probably a bit better than OBS), but if I did not already have the for-purchase versions, this would definitely be something I'd try for a while, especially because my others do not stream.

OWGKID

Fraps hasn't received updates since 2013 so it is probably abandoned  :D Have downloaded OBS, but how do you stream/record with it? Currently using AMD's Gaming Evolved app, but it would be nice to use something else.
LEGACY

PZ

I haven't played with it since the original post, mainly because I use other software for my needs. 

Why not continue to use FRAPS? Even though it has not been updated, it still works, and is my favorite way to record gaming because of the low overhead and ease of use.

OWGKID

I only use Gaming Evolved for livestreams, but Fraps is quite easy to use :) Haven't used it for some time.
LEGACY

Tags:
🡱 🡳