Craters in Siberia.

Started by Stiku, February 24, 2015, 08:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiku

Found this news article today while surfing for different information from the net.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2965385/Are-Siberia-s-mysterious-craters-caused-climate-change-Scientists-four-new-enormous-holes-northern-Russia.html

I Don't want to speculate how they came to be, but the pictures of them are to my liking, nice abstract and uneven formation of ice and rock.  :o

PZ

???

Could use that feature in a Far Cry game

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Oh that?  :)

That's just where God poked with his multi-dimensional fork to make sure that the Earth was done before taking it out of the oven.  :-D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Binnatics

My dad told me when I was little, that Siberia will be the future area for mankind to spend their lives. Global warming will make other areas insupportable while the Siberian plains will become fruitful living areas.
Of course, we can't go moving there if majestic gas bubbles are endangering human agriculture there, so Mandru might be right; God made sure the land is ready for mankind to occupy ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Very interesting indeed.........  :)

I have a geology background and truly ejoyed this article. Nice find Stiku.   :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

fragger

As Spock would say: Fascinating!

One would have thought that if a "flash of light" was seen by relatively nearby locals as mentioned in that article, they also would have heard something. I can't imagine that an explosion of gas massive enough to displace tons of earth would have taken place in silence... ???? Wouldn't they also have seen a great deal of flying dirt, ice and debris? All the stuff from that hole had to go somewhere, if it was blown out.

Stiku

Depends on the compression, which is created when the explosion happens.
But gas usually tends to explode relatively slow and usually cause a low frequency thumb, also siberia is wilderness were only handful of people live anywhere near those locations.

Tags:
🡱 🡳