Spike's 2010 Video Game Awards

Started by mandru, December 12, 2010, 06:11:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Nothing to worry about -- you see, being with OWG is educational  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: mmosu on December 23, 2010, 09:16:59 AM
And I was completely unaware of that fact until recently when I saw an episode Anthony Bordain's No Reservations where he toured Sao Paulo and the surrounding areas.   :o
I must say, I'm a little embarassed to now know how ignorant I was of the diversity present there!

Don't be embarassed... it's quite natural that people aren't aware of how much diversity we have here. We were "discovered" by Portuguese, who fought Spanish for domination, every now and then Dutch and French used to wash in our shores. All of them had their fair mixture with local indians for a few centuries. On top of that you add the slaves brought in from all nations in Africa... and that's just before the 1800's.

We celebrated 100 years of Japanese immigration a few years ago. São Paulo have a few million Japanese living there (and Korean and Chinese as well). In the beginning of the 1900's we received thousands, maybe millions of people from all nations in Europe trying to start over after both World Wars (Italians, French, Germans, Spanish... you name it). Right before that, Arabs, Libanese, Turks and Syrian landed here... so imagine how diverse the culinary is São Paulo is!!!

Not too different to what happened in US, just different accents, I might say  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mmosu

agreed about the culinary diversity - Bordain is a chef by trade and a writer/reporter/traveler second, so wherever he goes on No Reservations, the focus is usually on the cuisine.  And of course he goes where to locals go, not the tourists.  Sometimes he even manages to get himself invited to a private residence as a dinner guest for an ultimate authentic experience!   :-X  If I recall, his trip to Sao Paulo was punctuated with one such occasion. 

Tags:
🡱 🡳