Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood new DLC

Started by PZ, December 13, 2010, 02:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

One more day until the new DLC is released!  :-X

PZ

Well, the new DLC is now released complete with a new game mode plus MP map.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to connect for online MP yet  :D

spaceboy

I may give it a go this week.  My gaming is like a shotgun blast right now.  Still hopping between all my recent new games, and even revisiting some Bad Co. 2 MP with a friend.  Plus the Vietnam MP DLC for BC2 comes out next week.  It's a good problem to have I suppose, but it is preventing me from really delving into any one game.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

choices... choices... choices...

You go for it, space - that's a great problem; way better than the alternative.  :-()

mandru

I see the PC version of this game is still about 2 months out and that the special content Harlequin character available if pre-ordered through Game Stop is currently being offered.

A big question about this game that came up for me in looking at the previews is that it appears that this is intended to be a multiplayer game.  Are there options for single play or do I loose a lot of the scripted story line by running it as a solo?

There was one scene I saw where the player's character was fighting through an army's worth of soldiers to get across a court yard to a final defender who was protecting a pope or something in a carriage.  I though it was funny because the defender made a crack about how surprised he was that your character would dare to challenge him "face to face" but there was about 100 soldiers between you and him before you could get close enough to see his face clearly.  ???

This scene also led to my question about the game being multiplayer only because that was where several other assassins wearing variants of the same uniform (obviously part of your guild) that stepped forward out of the crowd after about 9 - 10ths of the soldiers had mysteriously fallen short of reaching their pensions.

The game looked brilliant but multiplayer would kill it for me.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

All I can do is SP, and it is a great game.  The reason you see so many assassins in that video is because one of the activities you can do is save citizens from the nasty Borgia guards and train them to be assassins that will come immediately to your aid.

I too thought it would be a SP disappointment, but I am happy to say that it has exceeded all my hopes for being an excellent title.

mandru

Cool, thanks for the info PZ  :-X

I may have to make a visit to Game Stop to put in a pre-order but this brings up another question.  Are there carry over stats that come from the previous series releases that add to the player's ability in each of the following games of the series or is it a jump in were ever you get the chance as in FC2 not being dependent on FC1?
- mandru

PZ

You jump right in, but I appreciate playing AC2 because the story follows naturally and quite fluidly.  AC:Brotherhood is a stand-alone game that expands on the story and game mechanics of the prior version.  However, because I became accustomed to the controls in AC2, it was easy to transition to this version because I already knew how to fight.  The skills you learned in AC2 do not come over automatically - for instance, the double blade has to be earned all over again, as do all other items such as armor, weapons, etc.

I purchased from Gamestop, and I'd entered my bonus code before I realized what it was - a special MP character.  Because I can't do MP, I'd have donated my code to someone else.

mandru

Thanks PZ.  Now that you mention it I think the Harlequin was also a multiplayer character.

So maybe I'm not in so much of a rush to get to the store.  There's no wait for AC2 unlike AC:B.  :-D
- mandru

spaceboy

hey mandru, since the PC version is a bit of a ways off, I'd suggest picking up ACII on the cheap and getting into the series a bit.  Brotherhood can stand alone, but it will mean that much more to you if you play ACII.  And for that matter, if you have the time, play the first game as well.  It does become tedious (they made huge improvements to the second game, but it is still a good game and gets you into the story from the beginning.  You'll truly appreciate ACII and Brotherhood's improvements.  It's not necessary, but I would recommend.

PZ

I'd recommend that as well - AC2 is old news now, but still an outstanding game - in fact, I'm still playing it on the PC and having just as much fun.  The scenery is spectacular - the graphics are truly state of the art for that game release.  While the graphics in AC:B are better, that is because they are rendered in 1080p instead of 720p

mandru

Thanks guys.   :-X

I really appreciate the info and got excited about finding a choice that would be engaging and my next possible game career move but I think it got unraveled.   :D

I've looked into and located a local outlet to pick up AC2 for $25 but my research turned up a problem.  Apparently UBI set it up so that AC2 requires an online connection at all times to access even the single player version.   Also Game Spot reported that there were times that while they were trying to review the game there were periods for hours on end that they were unable to connect to their UBI accounts to be able to start up the game.  ???

Is this also true for AC:B?  If so that's not very happy making.   :(

I have enough trouble with Steam not recognizing me that I've put up with corrupted graphics files for over 6 months because if I reinstall FC2 (now that I've authenticated it and started playing) I'll lose the game.  My user name and pass doesn't w@&k with them anymore, which I discovered when I tried going to their store to look at the downloadable games everyone here at OWG was recommending and were going cheap.

I really do try to avoid leading with my chin when entering what looks like a risky situation.  I know, the Mrs. also says I'm always too cautious.    ;)
- mandru

PZ

I don't know about AC:B (not released yet), but I suspect that it will also require the online connection.  This is how it works - Steam is not required - there is an application starter that logs you into the Ubi server, and then the game starts.  As you accumulate experience, this translates into Uplay tokens (used for free upgrades such as Altair's robes) and for trophy record keeping.  This connection works even on my slow Internet connection, and have never had a problem with it.

I've not experienced the problems that the Gamespot people report, but I tend to play within a constant time window.  I am aware of a server emulator that is available for free that tricks the game into thinking it is online.

mandru

???

A funny thing happened.  Yesterday when my wife came home from a long day of fitting less than willing children into their parent's poorly selected car seats, I expressed my concerns about AC2 and the thought that it may not be a best choice for me.

A blank look flickered across her face for a split second and she made a decision.

She deftly grabbed my wrist, preformed a quick leg sweep and had me in a hammerlock before I hit the floor.

It looked a lot like this (though she was admittedly dressed more appropriately than this example) :

Spoiler
[smg id=2661 type=preview align=center caption="Hammerlock"]
*Picture courtesy of http://gnarlmaster.tripod.com as I think it would be a good idea to give credit to anyone teaching this kind of stuff.   :o

She sweetly asked "Do you have any idea how hard it is to buy anything for you when you say you want something and then you keep talking yourself out of it?"

Seeing that this is the third marriage for both of us and she has learned the fine art of persuasion where as I've learned the importance of knowing when to submit quickly it looks like I'm going to be getting AC2 after all.   ;)

Hopefully my rotator cuff will be mended by the time I'm ready to start playing.   :-()
- mandru

deadman1

spaceboy

mandru --  good thing you're getting AC2 then, Ezio's Uncle Mario will show you how to counter attack  :)

PZ

mandru

We woke up this morning to find our microwave had sadly passed on to that great silicon heaven where all good and faithful electronic servants are welcomed.

>:((  :(  ::)  :-\  ^-^  :-D  >:D  8)  OK my face didn't show that sequence but I did internalize it.

I quickly hatched and sprung a devious plot.  Looking online for a local Best Buy location that had an excellent replacement microwave on sale and in stock that just happened to also have a rare (this close to Christmas) copy of the PC version of AC2.  I managed to hit a Bingo.

Moving quickly I showed my sweetest and dearest the great deal for the new microwave (bigger, faster, stronger  ;D ) and then when we got to the store and I had it on the cart we just happened to swing past the Video Games on the way to the cash registers.   ;)

:o  Who'd have thought?  Right there on the shelf was a copy of "The very same game all the guys at OWG are absolutely raving about!"  There was no talking her out of it, she had to get it for me.    >:D

Haven't loaded it yet as I'm still over in the AC2 forum section reading everything I can find that looks like "need to know" before diving in.  There were no instructions or manual included but then that didn't stop me from playing FC2.   8)
- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on December 18, 2010, 05:13:56 PM
... we just happened to swing past the Video Games on the way to the cash registers.   ;)

:o  Who'd have thought?  Right there on the shelf was a copy of "The very same game all the guys at OWG are absolutely raving about!"  There was no talking her out of it, she had to get it for me.    >:D

ROFL!  that sounds exactly like the kind of experience I would have!   ^+-+ ^+-+

I hope you enjoy the game - I'm still playing it on the PC, so we can share stories.

spaceboy

excellent mandru - can't wait to hear your thoughts.  I'd definitely read up a recap of the story from the first game to get your mind around what's going on.

Art Blade

that was a fun read  ;D

Mandru, I am glad that when your wife took you down you didn't slip in a variation of your casual line, "Anyone who doesn't dig that can talk to the knuckles"  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

The thought occurred to me that I should address the possible accusation that the old microwave dieing with such perfect timing was actually an arranged fortunate misfortune or simply a dislodged power cord.  It also occurred to me that anyone that would put forward such an outrageous accusation probably wouldn't believe my protestations anyway.   :-D

Art, I am diligent in pursuing the concept of not fighting battles where winning means losing.   ;)  :-X

Spaceboy it looks like I'll need to start a thread over in the proper forum boards to cover my perceptions on exploring AC2 but at a glance I'm fighting to learn the control system (it took me over ten minutes to get the baby to kick, move his hands and squall because the customize controls map was omitting mouse clicks  ??? ) and there doesn't seem to be a way to set save points so I can w@&k through a problem and come back to it once I've figured out how to do it right.  It only took me forty or so attempts to beat my brother to the top of the church.  :(

It should be quite the challenge but at least the scenery is nice.  :-X
- mandru

Art Blade

Mandru, again I'm glad that you recognise that sometimes "winning means losing"  ;D

As to AC2.. it will get easier. I had difficulties myself with the exact same situations.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

ah yeah, the brother race is tough, but it's funny because the best way to win is to go straight to the church and climb up it instead of the circuitous route your bro takes. you'll get used to the controls - it is a bit different than most games, and I think the first game holds your hand with it a little more than ACII did.

PZ

Well, mandru - it sounds like your experience is similar to my first experience.  Although I wanted to go through the game, it became annoying that I did not have the necessary skills to make it happen.  However, as others have said, it gets easier.  For instance, the last time I raced my brother to the tower top, I beat him so bad, it took him as long to reach me as it took me to get to the top of the tower.  As space said, s frontal run on the church is the ticket.

This brings up another recurring theme - when something looks to be impossible to achieve, take a few desyncs to explore the lay of the land - if one approach doesn't w@&k, there is another route that is easy.  This is always the case in the timed events - once you find the correct route, you have plenty of time to complete the task.

Tags:
🡱 🡳