Witcher 3

Started by PZ, April 06, 2015, 01:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

What sort of specs are required for this? It looks pretty intensive from your screenies - which are very cool, btw 8)

Art Blade

thanks fragger :) I am running the game on ultra settings.

[smg id=8872 type=preview align=center caption="actual gameplay"]

http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/tw3-system-requirements/

The Witcher 3 System Requirements – Windows
May 15, 2015 - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt | Windows | General, Graphics and Sound, Performance

Below you will find the system requirements for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Please note that the game is both graphics- and processor-intensive and it's the graphics card and the processor not meeting the minimum requirements that will often be responsible for performance problems with the game.

Minimum requirements:
OS: 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1). DirectX 11 is necessary to run the game.
Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz, AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Finding a Gaming CPUs performance chart and comparing one's CPU with our minimum is suggested.
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 or AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
Please mind that we only officially support full-size desktop graphics cards. Finding a graphics card performance hierarchy chart online and comparing one's video card with our minimum is suggested.
RAM: 6GB
Disk space: 40 GB

Recommended requirements:
OS: 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1). DirectX 11 is necessary to run the game.
Processor: Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz, AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770 or AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM: 6GB
Disk space: 40 GB

My current specs are:

Win10/64bit
Intel® Core i7-4790K 4x 4,000MHz
ZOTAC 4GB nVidia GeForce GTX 980 AMP!
16GB G.Skill Kit DDR3-RAM
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Impressive graphics indeed  :-X

I got my copy of the game as a free download, from GOG I think, as a benefit from purchasing my last graphics unit.

Art Blade

nice deal  :-X :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Only 40Gb disk space required? ???

Probably because they copy-paste the same face on different characters :-D

No, seriously now; that isn't too much, considering the game world seems many times GTA V while that game still needs 60Gb.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

yep, it is huge by comparison.

I love the light/shadow effects in this game :)

[smg id=8873 type=preview align=center caption="random impressions 15"]

Art Blade

I was impressed by the details on display at the blacksmith's.
[smg id=8874 type=preview align=center caption="random impressions 16"]

fragger

Thanks for the info, Art :)

I'm going to have to get a new graphics card soon. My old NVidia GeForce GT 545 is getting long in the tooth. Still works very well for all the games I currently play though. Even GTA V runs very smoothly, and even though I had to turn down a couple of settings, I can still have most settings on high or very high, or whatever they call them. Anti-aliasing and post-effects settings are usually the main culprits in bringing down frame rates, I've found. Zero AA for any game always seems to result in a big jump in performance, if you can live with it, which I can :-()

Oddly enough, with GTA V I found that when I went to native res size (1920x1080, as opposed to the suggested size which was something like 1280p) the frame rate improved dramatically. I didn't even touch any of the other settings until after I'd done that. So it pays to experiment yourself and not just go with the settings that the program "thinks" will be best.

Art Blade

welcome :)

Graphics cards such as mine that are a lot more powerful than yours will be thrown at you like ripe figs these days as vendors are preparing for the next generation of cards. You should be able to buy a really nice card at a very affordable price.

As to resolution and performance killers, note that up- and downscaling is a process that may involve your monitor (they've got a "native" resolution such as full HD or 1920x1080) as well as your graphics card and obviously not having to change scales is the best option. Also note that most games these days are made for consoles meaning for the use of a TV set, hence full HD or 1920x1080 are the games' "native" resolutions. Using anything else such as a 4:3 monitor or a resolution other than full HD will unavoidably result in cropping or stretching of the image and that can't be a good idea.

Real performance killers are shadows. Then "vegetation" in all its forms, most notably in depicting grass (and the corresponding shadows..) and then comes whatever you can think of such as high quality textures, reflections, depth of view, Anti-Aliasing and so forth.

These days we not only see more games making proper use of a powerful multi-core CPU but also increasingly making use of vast amounts of video ram on board of a graphics card which means: don't buy cards with only two or three MB ram. Four should be fairly enough for quite some time. Not all games make use of a 4MB card but there will be more in future.

:)

[smg id=8876 type=preview align=center caption="random impressions 17"]

PZ

Man, I wish I had more time to game. There are so many titles I would like to play, and even the old games like FC2 are still a favorite of mine.

Art Blade

make time, then  :-D

PZ

I'm afraid that making money is easier than making time  :-()

Art Blade

reminds me, isn't it literally proverbial, to "buy some time?" And, "time is money?" Which, in a mathematical sense makes sense as in: "if X = Y, then Y = X" which means, now it's time for your money to convert into time  :-D

In simple terms: retire, already. :-()

PZ

fragger

:laugh: Nice one, Professor!

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳