First Impressions

Started by spaceboy, June 04, 2009, 08:15:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

I think you're going to like FUEL.  As long as you aren't looking for a racing sim and enjoy the ride it appears to fit in here quite nicely.

I played about an hour.  The SP racing is a lot of fun, some "tracks" are tighter so you can't veer off too much in order to get to the next checkpoint, but others are more open so you can choose to stay on the "road" or go off-road (quicker, but more obstacles).  Makes for fun choices.

Playing on "expert" which actually is the middle choice.  Takes a few races to win until you learn the layout - even then some are tougher.  Also did a chopper chase.  Was easy actually once I avoided hitting a tree.

The jumps are fun.

The devs have the same appreciation for nature as here so there are actually vista points I think they are called that show up on your "GPS in the sky"  I'll explain later.  But it highlights an area to go to with a view.

Free roam and career mode w@&k basically seamlessly so it's a great interface.

More later folks, can't wait for others to get the game.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Tell me more about that career thing...
How do you progress? You move on unlocking tracks and vehicles? Are there special points to trade for upgrades or something?
I like when you have "things to do", not only "pick a car and a course and go"
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Sounds like a winner, space... will be looking for it tomorrow now... new tasks pop up most unexpectedly on a daily basis, and delay my trip to the store...

Art Blade

great news spaceboy, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Can you tune vehicles, ie change the look, make engine faster?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Career progression is through winning races which unlock new tracks, vehicles, and parts of the map. I think the whole map is open for online free roam.  You can also find vehicles in free roam, but I you still have to buy them I think.  You get paid in fuel actually so that is the currency.  You can also find fuel in free roam to add to your account, just crash into the barrels of oil and it adds to your account.

I'm sure I don't have all the nuances yet.  There are also challenges you can come upon during free roam, time trials and such, you can do them to earn fuel.

Let's see, as for tuning vehicles, it didn't appear you could do that but you can go into your livery and change the paint jobs etc.  You can also change your driver.

The driving views can be cycled between 2 versions of third "person" (one close behind and one further behind) and basically "be the car" so you don't see the hood your basically driving from the bumper view which makes me ill normally but fun sometimes.

In free roam the night/day cycle changed more than I would like, not sure if there is a setting for that.

Art Blade

thanks spaceboy, sounds like you spent half a day racing already, at least  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Interesting - what happens if you run out of fuel?

RedRaven

be a real pain if you have to get out and push, specially in some of the weather thats been hitting the races.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

haha, good one...

I've pushed a vehicle a time or two due to lack of fuel in my day.

RedRaven

can be hard enough pushing a pram when wind , rain and hail all workin against you and bet those cars way much more.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

only raced about an hour and  half, looks like I won't get anymore in today seeing as I'm still at w@&k.  >:( :'( >:( :'(

I don't think you can run out of gas.  When you crash too much you just get a new car - it's a quick load.

It was cool in a race chasing some guy that was smoking pretty bad - helped me know where to go.  The race was sending me through a recent "forest" fire - it was a meager forest I guess - just a bunch of burnt and burning trees.

Getting out to push makes me think of having to "pop" the clutch to get the car started - I know some of you old timers did that as well...

PZ

Heck yeah, I remember that - my first "real" car when I was 17 was an SS 396 Nova - the guy I had purchased it from used it as a race car - Sig Erson full race cam - could pull the front wheels off the ground.  The only problem - the starter wouldn't w@&k when the engine was warm - too poor to buy a new one so I did lots of "bump" starts.

[I wish that I still had that car now, the 396 ci 375 hp version of the Nova was a rare one - sold it to my brother for $1800 and he sold it not long thereafter for $2000.]

spaceboy

got home really late but still found time for a bit of racing to blow off some steam.  I set a marker off a ways and just took off on my bike.  One thing for sure it is hard to judge distances in this game.  WOW.  Plus I stopped off for a couple challenges along the way.  cool.

PZ

Can't wait to try it - by the way, I assume that it works with steering wheels?  I've one that I purchased for Gran Turismo5 that is currently just collecting dust.

spaceboy

I assume.  I've got an old wheel for the PS2 but not for PS3.  Perhaps they've gotten better but it always seemd I'd oversteer with a wheel.  The analog sticks are easy to kind of "tap" to steer.

As for FUEL, I find the handling MUCH more forgiving than the old GT games I played - more like motorstorm.  I think because it's more of a fun title than a racing sim. 

PZ

Good to know - the new wheels are remarkable - you can feel the road (force feedback) with the Driving Force wheel I use with GT5 - almost makes you feel like you're in a car.

JRD

Cool.. just found it at gamespot.com... won't post a full text, but rather the part that inerests me the most

Additionally, Free Ride offers an opportunity to collect liveries (in the form of new customization options) along with fuel, which represents the in-game currency. You "earn" fuel by simply plowing into marked barrels scattered throughout each section of the environment; if you save enough, then you can purchase better versions of preexisting vehicles to use in races. But perhaps the most important aspect of Free Ride is that it gives you an opportunity to create your own race. Interestingly, you can create a race in just about any area on the map (unlike the main career, which forces you to unlock sections as you go), as long as you keep it less than 150km. It's pretty fun to just randomly throw down points on the map, test out your track, and see how crazy it gets. Indeed, the first few tracks in our inventory involve some steep cliffs that are difficult to climb, so they probably wouldn't make for the best racing experience. Fortunately, you can zoom in and out on the static overhead track-editing screen, which gives a better idea of what kind of terrain is involved in your race and whether or not there are any pesky mountains involved.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Well, managed to get in a hour or so playing Fuel last night and I must say that it is the best racing game I've played - the open world nature has all other beat.

I'm still in the first area on the map, and have completed all 3 career races and 2-3 of the challenges - how do I advance to the next area?  Do I need to complete all the challenge races?  (Some are tough and I stink at the driving!)

spaceboy

Great.  Glad you're liking it.  As for unlocking I can't remember actually.  Try to go to Change Camp.  I have 4 areas unlocked and can't remember how I did it lol.  I can't figure how to unlock more either.  :P

You def don't need to complete all challenges or races in an area because I haven't even come close.  I'll look at it tonight for sure.

As for driving my tips are to ease off the gas rather than breaking for easier curves and just use the handbrake (square) for hard turns.

PZ

Quote from: spaceboy on June 09, 2009, 07:20:39 AM
... just use the handbrake (square) for hard turns.

Good to know - I've had trouble making those hair pins!

spaceboy

You've got to win races and earn starts to unlock more camps.  The harder the difficulty, the more starts you earn in a race.  I've been running on Expert which is essentially medium.  So it'll take more wins to earn the same stars if you're racing easy/normal.

I'm going to try to win some to unlock another camp...

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on June 09, 2009, 06:43:28 PMYou've got to win races and earn starts ... So it'll take more wins to earn the same stars

is it "stars" as in planets or "starts" as in finishes?

PZ

"Stars" as in planets.  You receive the stars when you successfully complete a race, although there are no points for second place - win or you're considered a loser...

Art Blade

thanks (since I haven't got the game... was wondering if you earned the right to several starts. Now it's clear)

spaceboy

man my typing has gotten bad lately...  Won a couple races tonight but did not unlock another camp.  Every win unlocks something it's just not always something I care about like a new helmet or bandana or tattoo.

I love free roaming to a challenge - it's a great way to see the landscape and get your mind ready for the race.

Tags:
🡱 🡳