Fall Out 3

Started by Fiach, May 10, 2009, 12:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

there are many more buddies you can have. Like 3x3 plus dog (I don't remember the exact count). Whom to choose depends on if you are good, neutral or evil. Also, "buddies" are in different locations or are "available" after certain missions. Imagine you are good and chose an evil buddy. When you'd enter a cease fire zone (they sort of exist there too) and behave, your evil buddy might start to shoot at someone you wouldn't want dead... so it is well-thought-out you can actually pick only a buddy that suits your style. If you should change your attitude, your buddy might leave you and you might choose a different buddy who does fit your new role.

As for the end, it is told as a tale of your life, depicted like a slide show. What you did (or did not) do affects how the story is told and what pictures show. There are like 15 different endings, if my memory serves me right. Until that epilogue you have no special game branches since it is not linear. How you play only affects if you can get a mission done or if you are offered certain missions.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Wow, I never knew there were so many buddies!

I met the paladin, the robot and Charon, I like Charon the best, but the other two were OK too :)

Its amazing how deep this game is, I'm still finding new stuff out lol :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

I too like Charon best (his voice and lines... "HAH! Can't you stand the sight of your own blood?!") hehe
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Just a heads up, I was in a charity shop yesterday (sometimes they sell audio books, which I can listen to while driving, if I get bored) and picked up the strategy guide for FO3.

OMG, its (no joking) the same size as The Guinness Book of Records, Hard back cover and just wall to wall information on FO3, all the quests, some great insights into the quests as well, weapons, monsters, perks etc. Its absolutely huge and I recommend it very highly to anyone with an interest in FO3

Art Blade

mine is paperback, still like 450+ pages of finest info. And funny too... Example: The book tells you that you can pickpocket other characters (nothing special). Then they ask you to try it the other way round: put a live hand grenade into someone's pocket and watch him freak out before he explodes LOL

SoulFallen

Funny thing is, I played this game before I ever played Oblivion. I played this game on the 360 when I still had one, and I was immediately sucked into the atmosphere.  My boyfriend, being a huge fan of the whole post-apocalyptic scene, introduced me to this game.  Since then, I've played it more than he has!!!!  I was only able to get the Anchorage DLC and I have not yet played the other two.  I have FO3 for PC but I have yet to find bootleg versions of the new DLCs that actually w@&k.

I'll keep trying though.

Kokopelli

Quote from: Art Blade on May 11, 2009, 10:03:00 AM
I love the perk that lets enemies explode in a gut-churning eye-ball strewn paste  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, that was one of the first perks I took.  Unfortunately for them, Moira Brown and Confessor Cromwell have been the unlucky recipients of that perk several times.  ;D

-SoulFallen

This game is a lot like Oblivion in the sense that there is a lot to do.  I have been playing it off and on since February, and have yet to leave Section 8 on the map.  I have just been exploring, looting, visiting the sites, and wrecking havoc in Megaton.  When I played Oblivion, it was the same way, although I haven't played it in a while.  I might pick it up for the 360 seeing as the computer cannot run it well.

Fiach

I have Oblivion and its expansions on PC, I believe there was some problem with the expansions on the 360 version.

May be a good idea to check that out first, before buying it for 360, I dont think the expansions woked very well or something like that.

RedRaven

had Morrowind Elder Scrolls with its two expansions, enjoyed the character creation side of it, but found game play a little slow. So when played FO3 it seemed very much like Morrowind with Guns, specially the scenery,(must be same group of artists/designers i guess) dont get me wrong tho, enjoyed playing it but after finishing it went out and got Farcry2 which i find much more compelling. will prob have to play FO3 again and try Oblivion too at some point. ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

you're right, Bethesda is responsible for both Oblivion and FallOut3, and the game engine is similar (FO3 uses a "pimped" version).

The real fun starts with modding it yourself using those tools, ie EDEN kit for FO3.

Fiach

Apparently Obsidian are making FO4 New Vegas, they have members that worked on the original Fallout games, so it should be interesting.

Must try to get FO3 finished and get the DLC, Broken Steel is supposed to be really good.

Ricamundo

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but i finally decided to buy FO3(FO3 GOTY edtion actually) That just came out and gives you the original game plus all the DLC stuff.

I've played about 10 hrs so far, and i think im @ level 4, and just wandering around the area in and around Megaton. I find the compass/map way of finding your way around kind of awkward, so i may or may not complete a quest, dpending on if i get lost or not. :-[

The world is epically HUGE!! Im not a huge fan of RPG's, as they are enormously complicated beasts, and this is the poster boy for complicated and detailed to death, but, it's keeping me pretty much obsessed the way FC2 did the first couple of playthrus. I'm even lying in bed at night thinking about that game now. ;D

I find the HUD thingy pretty cool, but you get to carry an unrealistic amount of kit around with you, and so far(playing on easy) i've not bothered with the V.A.T.S system, where you get to call a time out and select the best part of your enemy to blow off. ::) Kind of spoils the immersion factor imho.

One thing about this particular open world, where i found FC2 's world stunning and sometimes uplifting, the utter devastation of FO3's world is depressing after a while. Also, i don't think the Havoc game engine can even come close to FC2's Dunia engine. Everything in FO3 is in varying shades of brown or green; i mean everything, and playing at night, is totally black and white, like being part of a pen and ink drawing.

I'll keep you all posted on my progess, or lack of it. Hopefully, if i run into problems, someone here can give me a hint. ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

sure will :) glad you finally got something that keeps you busy  ;D

deadman1

Here´s a hint: Start getting used to the VATS system at your present level because as you get higher you´re really going to need it  :)

PZ

Looking forward to your experiences Ricamundo - have been vacillating about this game since I read about it half a year ago. Although I like some of the new games I've recently purchased, I still return to Africa time and again (to experience the beauty and danger) - still have not found the replacement for FC2.

Art Blade

hehe, you make it sound as if you wished for a replacement :) I'm glad I got FC2 and in my opinion it has by far not lost any of its beauty and fun :)

PZ

Not exactly a replacement perhaps, but another game like it to enjoy as much.  However, in an idea gaming world, I would have loved to see a mission editor in which users could create SP missions for others to enjoy, or at least another DLC containing mission packs.

EDIT: in re-thinking, maybe I am looking for an FC2 replacement.  I recall months ago being extremely excited whenever I had half a day or more to play FC2.  The eager anticipation while starting the game was a unique for me - not experienced with any of the games I've played subsequent to that.  Although each of the recently purchased games are OK, none compares to the magic of FC2.

Art Blade

I see. Well, I consider FC2 the best game I have... until a better one pops up  ;D

I am not actively looking for it, but it may happen eventually.

RedRaven

For those of you playing FO3 you may find this Tweak guide useful.

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Excellent tips site, Red  :-X

Ricamundo

Thx for the linkage RR. :-X I tweaked my settings a bit, now that i have a clue as to what some of the advanced settings did. I havent been out in thew wastes much to test the new settings, yet. im collecting plasma rifles in Raven Rock atm. ;)
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

RedRaven

First stumbled across that site a year or so ago when Stalker was all I ever played, found his guides very handy, even if you only discover one new thing from them. He also does ones for XP & Vista, reckon Windows 7 guide will not be too far off either. Find it very refreshing that people go to the trouble to create and share things like the Tweak guides, almost enough to restore my faith in the innate good in humanity, sadly lost in many many other aspects of life.

Art Blade

The good we take for granted, the bad is what sticks out. It's normal to remember bad stuff for a long time and to talk about it much more often than good stuff. There are certainly more good people out there, than meets the eye.

Ricamundo

I've run into a bit of a mystery. SPOILER...  Charon and i were on the MQ and we were told to go to V87 via Little Lamplight to retreive the GECK.

In the vault, i found the GECK, and last time i saw him, Charon was nearby, so we were heading back, when i was bushwhacked by the Enclave bastids and that Col Whazizname. (I had forgotten about this part, which you cannot avoid) So i go thru the RR HQ and find President Eden, and convince him to destroy itself, and RR.

I made my escape back to the wastes, and expected Charon to meet me there, but no sign of him. BTW i didnt have any other buddies with me just Chartn, so i have no idea where he is. I went back thru LL into V87, and found the friendly Mute(forget his name atm lol) wandering around, so i recruited him, since Charon had vanished.

I did go into Underworld alone, to see if he went back to the 9th Circle, but no luck. I've been back to Megaton and all over clearing up details, and selling as much junk as possible before i head out to the Riverboat mish.

I will take the Mute, but i'd prefer Charon. Any idea where i could find him?

Art Blade

Two ways:

jump to him or let him jump to you. First you need his ID, and therefore a previous savegame. Once you got it, open the console ("~") and click with your mouse on him through the console, you should get his name and ID show up on top of the screen, write it down, and close the console (again "~").

Now load your current game (where he is missing) and open the console. Type "prid" then a gap, then the ID you wrote down (the combination of numbers and letters you like so much) and hit enter. Now you should see again his name and ID on top of the screen. If you don't see it, like if you got an error, then you either didn't use the proper ID (the one you gained from clicking on him through the console) or a savegame that won't help (different ID than in your current game).

If you see the name and ID (let's pretend it was 12345678), open the console and type

player.placeatme 12345678

now you should have him right by your side :)

Else, to jump to him, if you are curious where the heck he's been, then instead type

player.moveto 12345678

Please let me know if it worked.

Edit:

Just noticed, if you really recruited a designated buddy (not using a random mod allowing you to recruit anyone) then Charon is no longer your buddy. Usually a new recruit won't allow you to recruit him as long as you still have a buddy, at least he should tell you about it.

If you just lose a buddy or cancel his contract, they will walk back to their base, in your case the 9th circle, but it may take a couple of in-game days.

Tags:
🡱 🡳