Dogmeat

Started by PZ, October 26, 2009, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

both true :) I remember the time when I learned about dogmeat (his name), I bloody didn't know where to find him or how to. He's in some kind of scrapyard, loads of cars there... big fun to blow everything up there  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I haven't encountered the scrapyard yet, but I know that I'll eventually encounter it - it is quite fun roaming the wilderness in an exploratory sense - lots to see, and many mutants to combat  :-X

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on October 26, 2009, 03:09:09 PM
I think you find the info if you use the Live! prog we used for FUEL, there is some buy points info and how much they cost, if it's that what you mean

That´s the place I looked but but I still couldn´t find it.

deadman1

Quote from: Fiach on October 26, 2009, 05:27:36 PM
I think 1000 points is €12

Hmm that´s 48 € I´ll be buying the Goty in the store then. Thank´s for the info mate  :-X

Ricamundo

Ok dumb question. I've encountered many computer terminals that are locked, some it says easy, but hth are you supposed to know which one out of 2 full columns of passwords, is the right one??
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

it is not to know but to find a logical pattern.

I haven't played for a good while, so I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but I do remember how it worked. I remember you could see if any letters of your pw matched with the actual one.

Update, you actually made me load FO3 only to see how the bloody computer hacking worked :)

first, pick any pw you like, then you'll see if any of the letters of your pw matches with the actual pw. If none matches, choose a pw that does not contain any letter of your first chosen pw so you increase your chance of a hit.

Example

actual pw (you don't know that) is "dartisok" (8 letters)

random list to choose from contains "darned, astrokid, anthive, fartlock, silly, dartisok"

now you pick a random one, say   "astrokid" (it has every letter that is in the actual pw, yet the positons don't match):

Attempt 1/4

dartisok (hidden)
xxxxxxx (correct positions)
astrokid (your choice)

Result: 0/8

now don't use "anthive" out of the list, because "anthive" already has "a" and "t" in the same position as "astrokid", you would waste one try. But, you'd get "i" as 1/8

Just so you see:

dartisok
----i---
anthive

2/4 - 1/8 (the problem is, you don't know where and which of the letters were correct, all you know is 1/8 was correct) - by the way, anthive is one letter short.

now use "fartlock"

dartisok
-art---k
fartlock

3/4 - 4/8

now, you won't use "silly" because it does not consist of 8 letters. So you have to count the letters in your chosen word and see if they equal the amount in the actual pw ( 8 ) Same with "darned", although there are identical letters in it (identical to a pw that resulted in a 4/8 hit)

Well, now we have "dartisok". You compare it with "fartlock" and check, if there are 4 equal letters in both words, because you know "fartlock" had 4 correct letters.

remember how it looked:

dartisok
-art---k
fartlock

so, in "dartisok" are "a," "r," "t" and "k" identical.

looks promising, use it:

dartisok
dartisok
dartisok

4/4 8/8 success!

That's how it works. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Additional tip for hacking:
Let your mouse hover over any of the brackets (), [], <> and so on. Sometimes the will light up and a a sequence like this will show (¤%&/##"%%), if you chose that as your attempt it will say "dud removed" or even "allounce *spelling!!!!* replenished". That way you can remove some of the fake passwords.

NOTE: this sequence (¤%&/##"%%) is just an example, it can be any combination sometimes just the brackets and there can be a set of brackets inside another set of brackets like this (<>) and both of these will w@&k. I can´t explain this half as good as Art but it´ll become clear when you try it, just make a save before you start hacking to be on the safe side.  ;)

Art Blade

thanks, deadman :)

In simple words: Passwords are always "words" and not a random string of symbols and letters. By the way, "fartlock" is not an actual word, but I had to come up with something halfways believable  ;D

Ricamundo

Thx for the tips guys, but holy moly, that's a bit complicated for a logic free brain like mine. :D ;) oh and btw, the tip about pressing and holding the Pipboy key(tab for a PC) worked! so there's one less hassle next time im in a dark scary subway tunnel, or building. :-X
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

hehe, sometimes the first guess is the actual password, happened a couple of times :) No logic needed for pure luck  ;D

PZ

Yeah, It's fairly easy Ric - when you are in the hacked-in screen and you see what looks like gibberish on the screen, click on what looks like it might be a password.  On the right you'll something like 2/5 which means that 2 letters out of the 5 letter word (this number changes depending on how long the word is) that you clicked has letters in common with the actual password - look at the other embedded words and you might notice a pattern.  You get 4 tries, and if you write down the first word you clicked (or just keep track of it mentally) it is kind of easy to figure out the real password.

Art Blade

OK, I could have saved me the trouble of explaining it in detail  ;D

PZ

You're definitely our detail guy Art, and wouldn't have it any other way - keeps the rest of us in line!  ;)

Fiach

It also helps to save before hand :)

By the way, if for example you have 2 letters that are correct, they are not random letters, they are in the exact place, where they would be in the password.

Also as mentioned before, flick through each line and see if you can find bracketed symbols, like, {^&*},
<*(%>, ["£$], (@:%$) etc. where the brackets are the same on each side and facing correctly, eg. not like this (:@~&(.

These will help you clear dud words or give you extra attempts.

It seems intricate, but once you do a few yourself, it will come alot easier to you :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ricamundo

Thx again for the help. I'll try the suggestions next time i see a terminal. Is there a perk i should pick up that would help hacking?

Fiach

Yeah, probably Science, not sure maybe Intelligence, but if you hover of a skill it will tell you what it affects.

You can also get books while you explore that can give points in skills, eg. The barbarian comic (Grok?) gives either strength or melee I forget which.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ricamundo

OK, i've run into a real glitch here. I've been working on the Waters of Life quest. I met Dad, Dr Li, and the team at the Round building near rivet city. He asked me to clear out any remaining baddies inside, which i did. I also turned on the pumps, and re started the mainframe.

upon returning to the rotunda, i watched the cutscene where Enclave baddies try to take over, but Dad causes a radiation overload and all inside die.

Dr Li says to follow her to some tunnels to escape outside, but when i follow her back to the giftshop level, she turns a corner, and disappears thru a wall. :D I did find a grate leading to a metal tunnel and a locked gate to the wasteland, but it requires a key, which i dont have, and Dr Li is nowhere to be found.  Argh!!

Any ideas??

Art Blade

sounds like there is a hatch around that corner. Try to keep up with her until she disappears, I think you find a hatch in the floor. I know you have to walk through tunnels then, to the enclave I think.

Ricamundo

Hi Art. yes i know about the big hatch in the floor in a ruined roon at the top of a long uphill hallway, in the opposite direction to the hallway to the front door. i went in that tunnel, and its locked at the other end, i dont have the key and Dr Li is nowhere to be found.
:-\

Art Blade

I've just loaded the savegame, Ricamundo :) When Li starts to chat, ask something like "how do we get out of here" and she will leave the fishtank (hehe) and disappear through a door, follow her, she'll then indeed turn around a corner and right there in the floor is something like a sewer hatch. That's were you go down. No keys needed for that. You can be fast enough to see her after you left the rotunda, so you know where she disappears, thats exactly there where you disappear through that hatch too ;)

Art Blade

once you're down there, go find the terminal for the overflow door, and as you like hacking into computers so much...  ;D

By the way get three buffouts for a certain heart condition issue coming up... ;) ah, that might depend on medical skills or speech skills.

Ricamundo

Thx for all your help Art. :) i figured out why i couldnt see the sewer grate thingy; there was a dead Super Mutant lying on top of it! ;D I had some issues getting the gaggle of scientists to follow me thru the tunnels to the Citadel, but its all good now.

They're safe and sound and ive been wandering the halls of the Citadel talking to everyone. I got permission to trade, and permission to learn how to use power armour, and ive taken the training.

but now ive come across another problem. Ive accessed a vault tec terminal to find a GECK, but none of the 6 or so vaults mention it. Most say access restricted or whatever, when i click on each vault's purpose.

Am i missing something there?

Again, thx for the tips!

Art Blade

Ricamundo

Art Blade

The game is so big, they made a 450 pages paper guide for question like those, and it is hard to remember every detail, and it is difficult to help especially because of gazillions of possible factors influencing what you do or are able to do. Some answers will produce even more answers, so it is quite useful to have a walkthrough at hand. I hope the link above is useful, at least a first glance made me believe it had many informations and it comes with pics/maps for those levels (vaults, in this case).

It's been like 6 months I haven't played FO3, so I'm not exactly in it. But I admit, the questions that came up here made me want to go back into FO3 a little, and I was just walking around with my modded dog and Charon. The dog seems to stay immortal, once you told him he was a good boy.

I had changed the Artmod a couple of times until it was what you have got now, that is what I thought was best suited for fun play. The two weapons in it are massive, yet not completely devastating (I used to have single shots from the scoped magnum the power of 500 hitpoints, that means you could take out a tank with one shot. I reduced that amount of firepower so it was still a heavy threat for any enemy, but not the kind of planet killer it had been. If you want the weapons, best read about the eden kit, maybe get it. Depending on how many other mods or .esp files you have got, the command to add a weapon to your inventory may need a tweak. Right now I am too lazy to check it out, so if you open the EDEN kit and check the content of the mod, you'll find a couple of "ART weapons" so go for items with a little "*" next to their names (changed or new items) or search by name, mostly "art" as a prefix I believe. Then it works just as adding any other item to your inventory, like bottle caps. Only the new items have a different offset because they are not in the same .esp as the regular stuff. If you need more help, I will check it out again and tell you how. By the way, at least Charon has his own modded weapon, you'll notice soon... hehehe. Fun thing, if you tell dogmeat to go back to vault 101, he'll be angry with you if you shoot at him. That makes Charon go alert, and he'll shoot dogmeat, that will go on as long as they stick together because dogmeat only drops inconscious for a short while (same with Charon, if he actually manages to go down). As long as they're your companions, they won't be mad at you, but once you release them... don't tease them  ;D

Anyway, the gfx did surprise me, after all the good stuff we've been playing lately, it still looks quite good. And the landscape, I nearly forgot how bloody big the world was, and how far you can see... :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳