One of my "best moments" ever...

Started by PZ, July 21, 2009, 07:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I just experienced what is probably the best ever gaming moment.  As most of you know, the wife/ girlfriend can become quite annoyed by all the gaming that we are capable of, and my wife is no exception.  Imagine my shock when shopping at Best Buy (a local electronics store) when my wife comes up to me with a big smile and hands me a copy of ARMA2!  All I could do was flashback to my games and think to myself: "That ain't right..." and after I recover: "I wanna go home.... I just wanna go home...."  ;D

I'm now perusing the manual which is quite a bit more extensive than the manual that came with COJ2 which might as well have said "Have fun playing the game..."  ;D

In fact, ARMA2 comes with a heavy stock insert that you fold into a triangle that serves as the keyboard layout for doing just about everything in the game.

Now, if she'll only let me get to my PC...  ::)

spaceboy

haha, that's nice when they finally "understand" or "allow" our fun.  My wife is quite good about that although she'll still pull the  "those darn video games" about my son as the goto answer for any bad grade or bad behaviour...

She used to try to buy me games for birthday or Christmas but now she knows I've most likely pre-ordered anything I'm wanting.  :P
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

yeah, she often gives me the  >:( face when she talks about my games, but then she does something like this and I realize that her face should actually be  ;).  I'm a lucky guy, and I don't mind giving up my precious gaming time to be with her on the back deck enjoying the day.  I am comfortable in the knowledge that I can get in enough gaming to satisfy me, and because we spend so much time together, I appreciate my gaming time all-the-more.  :-X

JRD

... don't let them fool you.
Women will ALWAYS feel great acting as a mother, even if they don't show it...
... but they get really annoyed if you act like a kid... go figure.

My latest strategy is to find some game she might like (SPORE is on my list  ;) ) and bring her to the good side of the force.

No complaints from her side but shared time on the PC  :-\
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

jajaja, I thought my wife was interested in Fuel, but when I asked her the other day if she wanted to try Fuel on the PS3 she gave me that disgusted look - you know, the one where it tells you that she would rather eat worms.

JRD

hahahahahaa... I don't see FUEL as girly game... the opposite in fact  ;) (SoulFallen's aside, of course  ;) )

You could try testing how she feels as Lara Croft...
... but remember, they use brains instead of brute force (can't figure what's the fun in it, but anyway... I'm a dude  ::) )

PZ

That's the funny part - she sees something on the screen that interests her and then makes a comment.  I'm not positive that she isn't making the comment about liking Fuel simply to be involved in what I'm doing.  In any case, she is much more tolerant of my gaming than she lets on.  ;)

JRD

Sometimes she looks at me while I'm playing and I can tell she thinks "its sooooooo cute  :) " and sometimes I read "argh, so immature  >:( "

Then I know in which time of the month we are  ;)

PZ

Yeah, but they must care for us quite a bit else they'd complain much more!  ;D

PZ

Installing ARMA2 right now...  :-X

PZ

OMG - Bohemia Interactive was rather daft in releasing their demo - nothing like the final game at all.  The graphics are orders of magnitude better in in the release game when compared to the demo, and right from the start the game feels "right".  In contrast, I was discouraged after seeing the demo, and even though I kind of wanted it, I did not expect much.  Seeing the final product makes it all worthwhile - I can't wait to become immersed in this one!  :-X

(I hope that I'm not just the kid at Christmas expecting too much)

JRD

Quote from: PZ on July 21, 2009, 10:02:59 PM
OMG - Bohemia Interactive was rather daft in releasing their demo - nothing like the final game at all.  The graphics are orders of magnitude better in in the release game when compared to the demo, and right from the start the game feels "right".  In contrast, I was discouraged after seeing the demo, and even though I kind of wanted it, I did not expect much.  Seeing the final product makes it all worthwhile - I can't wait to become immersed in this one!  :-X

(I hope that I'm not just the kid at Christmas expecting too much)

Thats absolutely true... the final game looks much better and the dynamics are also better, more action.
I'm playng the Amphibious assault now, after over a week without gaming  :(  (the 2nd actual mission) and I tell you, it has some great potential... good story twists as you progress, really open world and action packed... a hardcore game though, but that's what I was expecting from a war sim.
Hopefully the next missions will allow me more flexibiity in commanding my men.
Good luck PZ... keep us posted  :-X

PZ

This application warrants the name "simulation" because of the way it is "played".  I still play FC2 in the morning on the console, and then if I get a chance, ARMA2 on the PC later in the evening.  Comparing the two is impossible because FC2 is a true game complete with all the fast action fun whereas ARMA2 is played with literally dozens of factors that you can take into consideration.  You could spend a long, long time with this simulation  :-X

Art Blade

It's great that we now have a couple of members playing A2 now, and I'm glad you all enjoy it :)

I like gvse's missions, and maybe one of you guys comes up with a mission of his own :)

I am currently back to FC2 for a bit, and FUEL, but I hesitate a little with A2 now because it is not just "fire it up and have fun" - what you lot like (war sim) is what I don't like so much. I'll get back into it sometime soon I guess, and will have to try to catch up with you lot :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Well, I'm still not done with FC2 because of the instant gratification and the way you can experiment with things.  I'll probably spend a good day becoming acquainted with ARMA2 to see how much time I'll need to invest to become proficient, but it is becoming difficult to do all the things I'd like to.

JRD

Did some progress on that mission you have to go after the warlords... actually managed to finish it but didn't accomplish all my tasks as I didn't searched the whole area and missed the bigshot Lopotev... I'm playing it over and over to do it all.

The action lost its pace, actually  :(

Driving around, finding abandoned camps and cold tails, scanning and searching into civillian-only villages... :(
Had good moments raiding some rebel camps and scattered patrols into enemy controlled area though!

I'm preparing a nice report to help you guys and whoever is interested in to go though that one painless... and we are going to need a D_B-like map. Oh yes!!  ;)

Will keep you posted...

PZ

Sounds great JRD, once the pace is lost, people often lose interest, and that might be a problem with simulation style games.  However, if you have a set of instructions, that will keep people on track and not lose those people (like me) that don't have lots of patience working through non-action parts.  My lack of patience is the main reason that I've never found all of the diamonds and Jackal tapes in FC2.

JRD

True... it takes patience to go further into that mission with success.

One big difference between OFP1 and A2 is that in OFP1 you begin the game with not much info about whats going on... and the Russians are invading the island you are in and pushing you back. In some mission you have to hold their progress so your troops can escape safely, but you end up loosing the battle. The first half of the game you run.. and then regroup and fight back, so it's action packed all the time.
A2 begins as you invade Chernarus fighting some lousy Chedakis who mostly run away from you... hopefully this time THEY'll fight back and things will get more thrilling in the next missions  :)

PZ

Well, OFP2 is at the top of my list as is Warhound (if it ever comes out) and Red Dead Redemption.  However, I'm having great fun with the Armory "missions" in AR?MA2 - unlocked all of the gear using the cheat and have found some amazing guns and things to play with.

JRD

Add that to custom missions created by OWG members like gvse and you'll have an endless game to be played for years to come  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thats worth a dollar  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳