Custom Mission: Lumber Yard

Started by gvse, June 25, 2009, 05:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvse

Hey guys, I mentioned I had been working on a custom mission, and here it is, that is, in the Arma2 Download section: http://openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=57
You and 2 other team members are to destroy enemy radar located in the lumber yard, then proceed to the seaport and eliminate an enemy general and finally get to the getaway heli.
Here are some snaps:

Insertion
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

First contact

Approach the yard

Cool moves

Headshot!

Bang! Radar destroyed

Onto the second objective

Carefully now!

Ha! I have learned how to get the heli to the extraction point and how to trigger some events so expect surprises along the way.
The mission is set a bit later than in the preview screenshots so it's a bit lighter and you no longer need to use night vision as often.
There is an ammo crate at the first waypoint so you can choose your and your team's loadout (I recommend going silent and stealthy).

Leave comments, suggestions, etc. please. :)

Art Blade

Looks nice :) I can imagine you spend a lot of time with the editor to come that far...  :-X

As for the outro, I don't know. I've seen you could place triggers and for example waypoints can be set with music from a list... maybe you could create a trigger (on explosion or so) to bring a driver into the scene, and a waypoint near the boat to trigger music... and a waypoint for the driver to "take off" with you... maybe something for the tips/question board.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

gvse

1st post edited: no longer a preview! :)

PZ

Wow, this is really cool, gvse - love the night vision, and can't wait until Tuesday so I can try the game - this type of planning and mission construction is just my cup of tea...  :-X

gvse

Quote from: PZ on June 26, 2009, 10:52:30 AM
Wow, this is really cool, gvse - love the night vision, and can't wait until Tuesday so I can try the game - this type of planning and mission construction is just my cup of tea...  :-X

Hope you and others will enjoy it. I have just finished this mission on recruit: lost 1 man and took me 56 minutes to complete it. This game (not my mission, the whole thing) is really fun: certain events were quite unexpected and I could tell you about it but I don't wanna spoil the surprise! I am happy to report that everything worked as planned and all the necessary events got triggered correctly. :)

PZ

This keeps getting better every day as you guys figure out the nuances of the game...  :-X

Good job, and keep the reports coming in between sessions!  :-X  ;)

Art Blade

gvse, great to know you found out what was necessary to get the job done and I'm eager to learn about them (perhaps a tutorial in the tips board?) And I'm looking forward to testing your mission myself  ;D

PZ, I can't wait (less than you, haha) that you get your hands on that game and editor  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

At this point a discussion about maps emerged, and can be continued here: "maps"

Art Blade

gvse, hows the mission going? Anything new? :)

gvse

Quote from: Art Blade on June 27, 2009, 02:14:52 PM
gvse, hows the mission going? Anything new? :)

Before I start adding new things I would like to get some feedback from you guys re how it plays. Have you had a stab at it Art? (It's in the downloads section here)

Art Blade

OH. no... checking right away  :)

hmm, I can't find it -  the arma2 download section is empty :( please post a link, and I'll try again.

gvse

Quote from: Art Blade on June 28, 2009, 12:10:25 AM
OH. no... checking right away  :)

hmm, I can't find it -  the arma2 download section is empty :( please post a link, and I'll try again.

well, I uploaded the file again but at the end of the process the message appears that the file won't be available for download until it is approved. Actually now you have there two files with the same mission, and they cannot be accessed by anyone.
Edit: I deleted the older file as I changed one bit in the mission. Still, the remaining download needs to be approved.

Art Blade

I'm sure PZ will have a look soon... he's busy with a tube right now lol  :)

gvse

ok, gimme your thought after you play it then.

Art Blade

of course. Looking forward to it, already :) I hope I'll somehow survive your mission ;D

PZ

Going to do the approvals right now...

Art Blade

here it is, just got it. Cheers, the two of you  :)

gvse

Art Blade

First of all, I'm back from playing your mission for like 3 hours  ;D (then I needed sleep omg lol, so I'm only just up and a nice cup of "tar-like" coffee in front of me <takes a sip> )

Overall impression: It was a lot of fun, all being quite dark and all, and only a team of two more "helpers" with you in a rubber boat, working your way through enemies and hostile SpecOps and such, daylight slowly creeping up from the horizont, blowing the target up...

...and then it turned into a nightmare  ;D Out of nowhere more and more and more heavily armed forces made it impossible for me to get to the next mission goal. I never even saw it. The worst of the enemies were sharpshooters, snipers and a great deal of the problems being served by a grenade launching maniac so far away and well-shielded I bit the dust countless times, and my fellows either shortly before or about the same time with me. Unable to get that second goal finished.

On a sidenote, my game reported an error, some static entity could not be linked or something like that, and asked me to open the editor and save again. Which I couldn't, because the mission was "finished" for the SP. When I arrived with the boat and walked along the road, there was some enemy item on the street (I could see the description of it in my crosshair) but i could walk on top of it without seeing it nor being shot by it. Maybe that was the error, I think it was a stationary gun. Maybe you could you check what that might be.

That made me check how the savegames w@&k and where ArmA2 stores user files - Now I know that it is possible to share mission savegames. The game stores them in a folder named after each mission, so even bootcamp has them (unless you click restart mission, else you can click any mission and it will load the last save, then you can click "continue" the mission or choose from like 5 savegames)

What I missed was a mission description, telling me what to expect and what my goals were. I had no idea why I can change team and become a copter pilot that doesn't have targets, even when I flew it to that area I didn't see any. So I suppose it was planned as a pickup escape for the end of the mission.

Would you be so nice and help me with a description and maybe a few tips how to solve it? :)

My strategy was go in. Then, go in as carefully as possible. Then don't go in before you killed everything around the target area and only after that blow the target up. Next was, go quite a bit away, then blow it up, so I might be out of range of the new enemies. And then... I called it a day and went to bed. I'm going to give it another try, though :) Very cool, if only I could survive that 2nd part and find the 2nd thing to blow up and hopefully escape after that :)

gvse

Hey man, thank you for the feedback, and i am glad you enjoyed most of the mission.
Now, I have just installed the latest patch (the mission was created on 1.01 ver.) and so now I also get that error at the start. I will look into that shortly and correct whatever is wrong.
Mission description: as of now, I do not know how to create it, that's why i tried to give you a general description of mission goals in the thread here. The second objective is to kill an officer hiding in the seaport, and the heli is for extraction purposes only: actually its waypoint is triggered once your team reaches a certain spot on the map; until then it is supposed to hover somewhere at sea.
If you think it is too many enemies for such a small team then I will limit their number (particularly the wave that gets triggered right after you get very close the radar in the yard).
Again, thanks for your  feedback Art!

Edit: I just remembered how I dealt with the soldiers who appear after the radar get blown to pieces: try and stay in the yard and use whatever there is for cover. You can resupply ammo in the crate I left in the yard.

Art Blade

welcome, and thanks, too :)

I was just playing again. One more request: when I start off in that boat, I notice that the ammo for my own silenced weapon is only 4 clips. My mates are small on supply too, but they I could switch to using that team option, play them so to speak, and help myself (them) to get more clips. I then had to change back to myself. If you could find a way to have more ammo that fits my own silenced weapon would be cool.

And well, the team mates... it's tricky to switch roles, because when I wan't to change the loadout of the driver, the AI takes control as mission leader and shouts at me to stay in the boat LOL

I didn't find that ammo crate in that yard yet :(

but still happy playing it  :-X

gvse

hmm, I don't know how to get you more clips from the word go, but once on shore and resupplying you can drop 1 satchel and pick up an additional clip.
Also, I never switch to the other soldiers when resupplying; just order each of them to go to ammo crates, hit 6 and then "gear" is either 1 or 2. the menu with weapons should show up so you can select what you want for them without switching to individual soldiers.

Art Blade

ah, haven't managed to "gear" them up with that order yet (didn't know it, even). Found the crate on the yard. But I think I tricked your mission... That general was the next after the one you see in the screenie, took them both out from up there (climbed the mega chimney... like mary poppins LOL) By the way, I disabled auto-aim, I'm better with shooting, then.

[smg id=922]

The game didn't accept my kills as mission accomplished. I went there on foot, later, both enemies were dead, my soldiers alive. I even tried to blow that base up, nothing happened. Couldn't call the chopper either. So I got stuck

gvse

damn. this might be a glitch in the game, not in the mission, because something similar happens in campaign from time to time (objective fails to register as complete).
I will add a marker on the map to indicate where must you to trigger the getaway chopper.

Art Blade

see how bright the day already is? took me quite a while, but ta-dah!  ;D Great deal of fun. Especially because you only have two mates. By the way, the medic is not playable, the heli pilot is... maybe exchange that?

The ammo was sufficient, after having found the ammo crate (didn't even need it this time)

Tags:
🡱 🡳