what is the mirror site again?

Started by spaceboy, March 03, 2009, 06:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

I lost the link to the mirror site.  Please post.

Thanks.

BTW, did you see that now farcry2world.com takes you to clanthemes.com...?????
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

EDIT: we no longer use the mirror site

However, both sites now point to the same forums so in case one site goes down, we will still have another one to fall back on.  I'm going to upload all of the content to both sites so we might try both on occasion to see if one is faster and/or more reliable than the other.

Yes, I noticed that the farcry2world url now maps to another domain.  I'm wondering about why that would be.  I hate to even think it, but I hope that someone at farcry2world wasn't into hacking.  As I mentione, I had some awful virus problems that took me more than a week to fix.  Problems included virut.bm and a few keystroke loggers that many virus scanners did not pick up.  One thing I know is that when I installed Avira, it reported that farcry2world was infested with HTML/framer viruses and even more worrisome - a key logger trojan.  In any case, I sure do miss that site - the communications we had with all the different farcry 2 fans was better than any other I have visited!

PS: I'm attending a conference this week and during down-time I'm compiling mission descriptions.  I've almost completed the tutorial mission pages (the ones where you free your buddy).  This won't help veterans like you and I, but it will be an interesting way to navigate your potential progress through the world.

spaceboy

Thanks.  The virus key stroke thing scares me, I guess I better check out my pc...

On a side note, I did pick up Killzone 2 and I am loving it.  The single player is an intense, gritty war game.  Not at all like FC2 single player, very different but fun also.   Been doing a little multiplayer too.  I think once I beat the campaign I'll get back to some FC2 for my offline playing and keep ranking on KZ2 online.

PZ

I agree about the virus thing - they can be devastating.  The last one I had was the first one that has ever affected me to the point where I had to reinstall the OS.

How are the Killzone graphics compared to Far Cry2?  Several reasons I really like FC2 are the relatively realistic nature of the weapons, the music, and mostly the beautiful scenery.

spaceboy

The graphics are technically better in KZ2 than FC2, but the difference is in the environment.  You fight on a war torn planet with very dark industrial type settings.  No beautiful sunsets and scenery to admire.  It's dark skies, lightening, and gritty war.  It's really just completely different.  The weapons look great and sound great although again, not the same selection.  Basically you've got two weapons in your loadout (pistol and machine gun) and you can swap out your machine gun with whatever you find or pick off dead Helghast. :)  The sounds of war are amazing and with my new surround sound system you can really tell where sounds are coming from.  It helps alot online and offline. 

There is no stealth in KZ2, you have to use cover and move alot.  I'd say the enemy AI is slightly better than in FC2.  They are amazing to watch as they communicate, flank, charge, take cover.  The thing is they are totally different games but both top notch IMO.

PZ

Thanks for the detailed review - quite helpful.  Have you played any of the following, and is KZ2 similar to any?

Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor, Airborne, Call of Duty V, World at War, Rainbow 6, Las Vegas.

spaceboy

I haven't played those although I remember wanting Rainbow 6 b4 I got the PS3.  I bought the MGS4 pack last summer.  That game was beautiful but I just didn't really like it a ton.  I wound up getting stuck on a boss and then put in Battlefield Bad Company and the rest was history.  I actually traded in MGS4 the next week and used the credit eventually towards FC2 :).  Other games I have/love are Star Wars Force Unleashed, Assassin's Creed, Little Big Planet, and now KZ2. 

Do you recommend any of the ones you mentioned?

PZ

I like Brothers In Arms because the graphics are good and I like the fact that you control a team of several soldiers in many instances.  The theme is Operation Market Garden (Band of Brothers), and the game is good if you like WWII games (which I like)  I played the game continuously until I finished and then played through a few choice parts again.

Medal of Honor - Airborne is similar to FC2 in that it is relatively open world.  It is a relatively good game, but the graphics are somewhat old school compared to FC2.  You can get a good deal on this game because of it's age.  I do like it however, because the theme is WWII.

COD5 - World at War is excellent at graphics, but you are led down a pre-determined path - no open world here.  While I had fun with the game, when I completed it I had to ask myself - Is that it?  This one is good because of the variety of scenarios - planes, ground, flame throwers, etc. but I did tire of it after one play through.

I never have appreciated Rainbow 6 LV, but perhaps I have not given it much of a chance yet.  Once I purchased FC2, I have been all consumed and the rest is history.

Binnatics

This was the oldest topic I never read. Funny how viruses were such a big matter back in the days. I don't remember having had trouble with viruses for the pasts years at all. I guess the virus-breed changed focus and is now more into spamming and of course mobile devices. :)

Killzone  is a Dutch brand, currently we have KZ4 that was the first PS4 release. Wonder how the AI is now, compared to other new games ;)
I think AI hasn't improved much during the past few years, unlike graphics and online abilities ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

so by now you've actually read through all those 67,196 (including this one) posts?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Hell no, I just picked the oldest one out of curiosity ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I know. You must have been surprised to see such an old topic brought back to life ;)

Art Blade

it felt as if I had last read it yesterday.  :-()

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on July 12, 2014, 11:50:45 AM
it felt as if I had last read it yesterday.  :-()

That's because Art remembers everything as if were yesterday!  :-D

Art Blade

I try to keep my brains well-trained ^-^

mandru

*Attempting my best Derbyshire charwoman's accent*

"It's loik a lovely li'tle 400 year old bonsai nested on a rock with moss all up around 'is roots."    ^-^
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on July 12, 2014, 01:18:55 PM
I try to keep my brains well-trained ^-^
I do too, but it's not working

Tags:
🡱 🡳