GTA-V: PZ's first impressions

Started by PZ, September 19, 2013, 05:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

My first impression is that I was shocked that my local retailer actually had the game in stock!

I have a PS3 copy in my hot little hands, although I doubt I'll be able to do anything with it until this weekend.  :-\\

Oh, I changed the banner graphic in honor of the new release

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

OMG!

For the first time since I started seriously playing video games (FC2), I installed a game without having to do any updates!

That's a great first impression.  :-()

Binnatics

I'm burning of both desire to know your first impressions and jealousy of not being able to play it along with you. Imagine I'm getting hot in here :angel:

Hope you keep enjoying the game for the next couple of months, and maybe longer once the PC version will be out. Let us know about your experiences, I'm sure this is going to be a hot forum. >:D

Nice Banner btw, I'll have myself a big V on my breast to make sure I match the requirements ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

All I can say is...

Spoiler
Rockstar ROCKS!!!
The install was seamless - I started it, and came back after a snack, the opening screen was up and running.

Here are a couple of comparison/contrasts:

Ubisoft
limited saving capability at best - e.g., 3 slots in the AC series, and you have no choice of when to save
Maxis/EA
the ridiculous online at all time requirement coupled with the just plain stupid requirement to save your games in the cloud is one of the lamest things I have ever seen
Rockstar
Game slots like the old FC2.  You can save at any time (yep, you read right - any time) by opening your cell phone and choosing the save "APP" on your main screen.  You can create new saves, but I do not know if there is a limit.  However, so far, I have 3 saved games, and the option to create more is still there.  What is encouraging is that there is not a list of empty slots like one would see in those games with limits.
The bottom line: it is so refreshing to open a game who's architecture is like our old favorites rather than the lame things that the other fools are forcing upon us.  However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm not going to find a disappointment.  So far, so good.  What I can say for sure is that this is the first game that I've installed in a long time that did not annoy me with disappointments right from the start.

Now, for some of the good stuff...

• The graphics are stunning, and the attention to detail is remarkable.  I was in a sports car and ran over a curb, and you could see the slight bump of the car plus see the tire/wheel appropriately shock absorbed
  • You have a home with garage, in which you place any car you want to save - this is your car for as long as you want it (I think)
  • Your home is equipped with a TV - you can sit on the couch and mindlessly change the channels, and even smoke if you like.  You can drink beer in the kitchen.  When you go to sleep in your bed, your game automatically saves.  You have a wardrobe full of clothes, so you can completely change your appearance - right from the start - none of this foolish "oh, you have to pass a certain race before you get a new outfit..."  I had a good laugh as I dressed myself in some ridiculous clothing.
  • For those that played Red Dead, there are side missions reminiscent of those - I just did one called "Repossession" in which my task is to use a tow truck to haul away someone's car.  The truck is Diesel (love that), and even has the backup alarm as you back to hook up the car.  The mission is to return the car to the repo lot.  Just to experiment, after the mission completed sign came up, I took the truck out, found a parked car, and then stole it, and brought it back to my repo lot
  • If you are signed in online, you can take pics of anything you like with your cell phone, and I assume that you can share those pics with others - kind of a cool feature.
  • The game map is massive, just like JC2, and again, the attention to detail is great.  The colors are vibrant, and in the evening, the neon is perfect - could be a photograph of neon.
  • When you run toward a fence, you can climb over really smoothly - almost made me feel like a kid again.
  • Although I did not try it yet, there were on-screen instructions letting you know that for a more immersive experience, you can turn off the HUD, and mini map for a clean interface - nice of them to give us the option
  • So far all the game mechanics seem so fluid as to make it almost movie like.

Although I have only played the game for about an hour, it has been the best first hour I have played in a game since FC2.  I'm going to reserve complete judgement though, because you never know when a "Boss" will appear.  >:D

However, being a Rockstar game, I am hoping that it will be more like Red Dead.

So far a real winner, and if it continues to be so, I'll get the PC version so I can enjoy further with you guys.

Art Blade

very nice, and I am glad you like it. I started the GTA series with the predecessor so I only know that (by heat, more than a thousand hours in game) and based on that, I can see (watching playthroughs on YT) that they kept a lot of what we already know from GTA IV but added a lot, too.

What you (and we) will love is the fact that you can customise a car in a gazillion of ways, from tinted glass to engine performance. Weapons also are customisable, silencers and so forth.. And you may go get a new haircut  :-D In other words, YAAAAY it is coooool!  :-D

Art Blade

Oh, one small but cool detail (reminds me of JRD's comments) check the moon phases -- that's right, no simple full moon all the time  ^-^ :-X

PZ

That's really cool - another attention to detail  :-X

I have GTA-IV, but never did get into it - the graphics just didn't do it for me.  However, I might explore it once I'm done with GTA-V for a while.  I did that with the AC series - jumped in the middle, and then went back.  Was lots of fun even though the old AC1 graphics were not that impressive.

Binnatics

Heheh, yeah, you're going to get more surprises, and probably all in the positive direction :-X

I think Rockstar was already a few steps ahead of other games, so they already learned the frustration according to savegames, so they put it back ot what we all like. Glad they moved back to the garage thingy. It was always like that, only in GTA IV they started to give you a yellow marked spot on the street car parks that you could use as your care-saving-place. Less secure, literally and not adding to the safe feeling either.
Glad garages came back. I'm going to experiment with the maximum amount of cars you can stash in there again :-() :-X

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on September 20, 2013, 11:21:35 AM
Heheh, yeah, you're going to get more surprises, and probably all in the positive direction :-X

I think Rockstar was already a few steps ahead of other games, so they already learned the frustration according to savegames, so they put it back ot what we all like. Glad they moved back to the garage thingy. It was always like that, only in GTA IV they started to give you a yellow marked spot on the street car parks that you could use as your care-saving-place. Less secure, literally and not adding to the safe feeling either.
Glad garages came back. I'm going to experiment with the maximum amount of cars you can stash in there again :-() :-X

That's great to know; maybe it is because I'm still early in the game, but it looks like I have a single car garage.

fragger

All sounding great so far :-X

My only experience with the GTA series was with one story in GTA IV, the one about the biker gang. I quite liked the game (what I played of it), but it had a weird look to it - I think they tried to make it look like a movie, everything had a film-grainy appearance which I didn't like at all. Plus that was on my old rig which wasn't really up to the job graphically. It should go well on my newer hardware.

Looking forward 8)

Art Blade

fragger, you were playing a DLC, not the vanilla GTAIV. I had the same issue with that biker thing, I did play through but hated it exactly because of that $*&%@# grainy view. AAARGH  >:(( However, the vanilla is crisp and clean, you definitely should go for it. :)

Binnatics

Didn't you happen to have both DLC's on a single disc Fragger? You should try The Ballad Of Gay Tony then, which doesn't have that weird graphic appearance, and offers smooth and accessible gameplay. The whole island is accessible from the start, and the missions are getting quite entertaining early in the game. Plus, you have some amazing weapons at your avail. If that DLC is in your possession, you'd try it. It will give you a free new look at GTA IV and at least the graphics are just like the vanilla one.  8)

PZ

The game is massive, and the things you can do almost endless.  I was passing by a shack and saw a bicycle - sure enough could get on it and pedal (using the run button).  I found a semi, and then a trailer - could back the semi to the trailer and hook it up.  Saw a sailboat in the ocean - swam to it and was able to pilot it.  Used an old tow truck to steal a few more vehicles.

This is only the tip of the iceberg - there is a printed map that comes with the game - when I look at it, I realize that I would be able to spend a thousand hours just exploring.

Art Blade

I spent a thousand hours on the predecessor which is only a city. You'll have a lot more to do than just 1k  :-D

PZ

Although a bit early to say, this game gives me a feeling similar to what I experienced with FC2

Art Blade

It really bugs me that they haven't even hinted a PC version. :( However, with their record revenue they're likely to do it as they now can easily afford it and by that milk another couple hundred grands.. hopefully soonish.

PZ

Truly? From what you guys have posted, I was under the impression that the PC version was just out aways.

Art Blade

No, I was referring to YouTube playthroughs that I was watching and reporting that I had to check various sources because Germany's beloved musical rights protectors (GEMA) had already blocked several of the vids that had been on the net for less than a day, so I had to find other uploaders to watch the missing, err.. blocked, parts. That's how I ended up watching three different sources. One (cvg) : only uploaded about 10-15 vids a day and I was faster watching than they were uploading, Two (IGN) : had more vids but some were blocked, Three (HHGAMING) : got all of the vids and a better gaming style, so I watched the missing ones and even started over watching #3's vids from start (that guy makes me laugh plus he uploaded in full length, i.e. the in between stuff and all types of accidents which I would have had in his place, too  :laugh: )

But no.. release for PC is unknown.

PZ

That's too bad. The game has me interested enough to purchase the PC version.

Binnatics

Shout it out PZ, ..... please, Shout it out!!!!!!!!!

We need it desperately. Otherwise I have to buy a lame PS3, and fuzz around with horrible button-aiming instead of true, smooth mouse aiming. ::)

PZ

I want the PC version!!!!

I'm going to hook up the console to the 60-inch this afternoon, and get settled in for an afternoon of exploring Los Santos  >:D

Art Blade

lol @ shout  ;D

oh man. 60" GTA V? Alright. Go on, then, rub it in, just keep rubbing it in :-D

durian

Get a 4K TV for the optimal experience, PZ  ;D
He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Tags:
🡱 🡳