Dear Esther

Started by Binnatics, March 12, 2012, 10:46:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

This game kind of caught my attention a few weeks ago on the Steam store and I investigated a bit about what it was. I figured it wasn't really my type of game, although very fascinating. Today I decided to download it anyway. I had the feeling I'd miss something important if I didn't buy and play it.

Dear Esther - Official Trailer

My first impressions were that the in-game atmosphere is very special. You start on a slope in the sea, reaching to the island where you see a lighthouse. The graphics are amazing. Fascinating might be a better description. It's not that the detail or special effects are better then ever before, it's just the way everrything is situated together. The island looks very real.
Something else I discovered is the lack of controls. All you can do is walk, swim and look around. No way of interacting with the environment.

There, at that lighthouse, you start your journey through this weird place, that looks both surrealistic and realistic. The is someone (me, I guess) digging up memories about his (my) past life and the adventures on the island. Through his messaging (he seems to tell all of this to his beloved, dear Esther) you get sucked into a weird, sinister state of a man who's lost on this godforsaken island.

I've played 3 chapters so far and all I did was wander around the island, led by a corridor-like game design. The world around me is so fascinating that walking around entertaining enough, and it appears to me that this game isn't just simple entertainment, it's Art.

Here are some screenshots:

[smg id=4061]

[smg id=4062]

[smg id=4064]

[smg id=4065]

[smg id=4066]

[smg id=4068]

[smg id=4069]

[smg id=4070]
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

That truly is a beautiful world  :-X

What is the goal of the game - discovering the story?  ????

Binnatics

I think you're right, about the goal. I've been wandering round the fourth chapter just now, and I can't discover anything else then a sort of end to the story. I this chapter is the last one, so there's not really an end. It's all a bit confusing, but still fascinating.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Sounds almost like you're kind of part of a movie in which you move at your own speed, but are only following the story line.  You mentioned "corridor", can you wander far off the beaten path or are you more locked into a predetermined path?

Binnatics

You are more or less locked in a pre determined path. I thought the island was open world, but you can't jump so following given paths is all there is. But there are certain points where you can wander around a bit, and make decisions weather to go left or right.

I think the goal of the game is to let you feel the desolateness of the man's life. I didn't follow all of the text spoken to dear Esther because of the complicated, poetic style of speaking, but it's kind of like the musings of a damned soul. Full of doubt, and yet full of wisdom. I have some more screenshots:

[smg id=4071]

[smg id=4072]

[smg id=4073]

[smg id=4074]

Fiach

Got it myself last week, just havent got to play it yet, thanks for the review mate :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

I knew you would be interested Fiach, it seemed just your type of game. Was hoping for a reply by your hand and guess what, you already own it, cool! :-X

I bet you're going to like it, although it's kinda short. It's just different ^-^

fragger

Interesting :-X Great looking game (or whatever it is...) Looks like somewhere in the Orkneys, Shetlands or Outer Hebrides, or one of those North Sea groups of islands. Looks chilly...

Thanks for sharing, Binn :)

PZ

Indeed - shame it is not open world.  Sure wouldn't mind wandering that island!

Fiach

Quote from: fragger on March 12, 2012, 03:47:53 PM
Interesting :-X Great looking game (or whatever it is...)

I would be inclined to call it an "Adventure" game. It's a genre I tried to like when I was ...cough....younger..., but couldnt get into the slow pace compared to other games, but I have played many since and really recommend them for thought provoking stories and puzzles.

The Longest Journey
Syberia
Broken Sword (any)
Lost Horizon
A Vampyre Story

Above are a few diverse games in the genre.

Dweller_Benthos

I had heard of this and was under the impression that it was more of a "Myst" style adventure game where you are presented with static pictures, but I guess it's essentially an FPS adventure game? You actually get to walk around? That might be interesting as long as the story is engaging enough. I take it there is no combat and no "enemies" per se? You just wander around, find stuff and use the items you find to continue the story?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Fiach: I played Syberia many moons ago :)

All: this Dear Esther game is too dark, sinister and creepy for me. If only there were  weapons and some mindless shooting  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on March 13, 2012, 12:13:01 PM
Fiach: I played Syberia many moons ago :)

There's a Syberia 2 mate, if you didnt know :)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Not exactly D_B, there's no interaction with the environment. No finding stuff. Nu using anything. Just walking round admiring, as far as I could find anyway.
It's like an environmental artwork, but digital. And a bit bigger than most environmentalist settings I guess ^-^

PZ

I think Fiach has played more games than anyone I know  :-()

Fiach

Quote from: PZ on March 13, 2012, 03:02:39 PM
I think Fiach has played more games than anyone I know  :-()

My list of games is only exceeded by Art's posts  >:D :-D

Art Blade

PZ

:laugh:

We're lucky that our friend, Mr. Blade is such a good sport  ;)

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Binnatics on March 13, 2012, 02:06:56 PM
Not exactly D_B, there's no interaction with the environment. No finding stuff. Nu using anything. Just walking round admiring, as far as I could find anyway.
It's like an environmental artwork, but digital. And a bit bigger than most environmentalist settings I guess ^-^

Ok, so you don't even get to pick up the gold key to open that door you saw 5 minutes ago? Just walk around and at certain spots the story plays automatically? Sounds sorta like the video game version of those taped walking self tours they have at museums.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on March 14, 2012, 10:03:24 AM
...Sounds sorta like the video game version of those taped walking self tours they have at museums.

:laugh: :-X

Binnatics

Binnatics

Speaking of experimental games, there's another game that caught my attention. It's called Journey and is produced by "thatgamecompany". Unfortunately, it's only avaiable for PS3. Check out the website:

http://thatgamecompany.com/games/journey/

Tags:
🡱 🡳