Hud/Weapon Free Screenshots

Started by GPFontaine, March 04, 2010, 01:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPFontaine

I am interested in taking some scenic screenshots.  I would like to take them without any portion of the HUD or weapon in the captured image.

Ideally it would be great if there were an interface command to toggle this, but I am not opposed to all tricks.

The tricks that I already know that won't w@&k for me are:

• Swing the machete and time pressing Print Screen perfectly
  • Hold the map prior to entering a UFLL or APR location and then exit

PZ

This is one that I've never managed to solve - sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Art Blade

I've not heard of any different way.

Maybe I can help you improve your technique with that machete :)

First, practice lots and lots of swings with it. Just like that, swing that thing  ;D Meanwhile, try to anticipate the slightly distorted rhythm of the "swing forth and back" sequence. You'll notice the machete swings diagonally from right to left, disappears (that's what you're looking for) and swings back.

Now prepare to produce another couple of MBs or even GBs of digital trash  :) You'll create a lot of mostly identical screenshots now:

Try to time an imaginary hit on the prntscr key. Visualise how you'll be hitting it the moment the machete has disappeared and not yet reappeared. Now do that machete swing constantly and with the other hand (I guess) you'll pretend to make screenshots. Of course you can do actual screenshots now, but that WILL produce a lot of crap screenshots with your swinging arm across it :)

By the way, if you check our gallery, you'll see some screenshots where the swinging arm is visible somewhere :)

Now when you are comfortable and quite certain, do the real thing. You might notice a lag the moment after you hit the screenshot key, when the image is being stored to your HD. That may freeze the game. If it does (does it here), it will change the rhythm. So don't make a lot of screenshots in a row, but one and relax. Start over so you get back into the memorised rhythm, rather than being distracted by a broken rhythm, caused by taking a screenshot.

Hope that helps you get it sorted, mate  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Or time hit PrntScr while swaping weapons... it is the same as the machete, of course, but I find it easier to time the right moment
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

The only reliable way I found was to use the no clip cheat in the trainer. You walk into a building where your weapon is hidden, turn on no clip, walk out through the wall and turn it off. You are now stuck in "inside" mode, no weapon, can't jump, etc.... So it's best to have ignore AI and god mode turned on.

If you're on console, sorry, can't help.........
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Excellent tip, D_B - this is one that I didn't know  :-X

Art Blade

GP, any luck yet?

When I do scenic screenshots, I do like 5-10 shots of the same scene. The one without my own arm across it I use for whatever, posting here for example ;)

But I'm used to it now, so I only screw few shots (arm in it).

I reckon I have shot around 15,000 screenshots by now. The last 8,000 I deleted once because I thought heck, I'm not going to use them anyway (the good ones had been taken and posted already). But I'm again at some 7,000+ shots now  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

GPFontaine

Some luck inside.  Time has been scarce.  I am trying very hard to get a certain type of picture.  I promise that when I finish what I am doing, I'll share it.  It is just time consuming.

I have a 1920x1200 resolution, so I have been using photoshop to automate a 45% crop on all of the images and doubling the shots.  I'm running an i7 920 OC'd at 3.4GHz and 6GB of ram with a HD5850.  The system easily can handle the stress of the batch processing, but even still, I'm pushing through 350-400 screenshots per attempt.

More details to come... once I get this figured out.

Art Blade

Your system specs are not far from mine and PZ's - except overclocking, RAM and that very nice vid card you've got. I'm also on 1920*1200 (26" widescreen)

I use freeware IrfanView for batch processing. Best results for me (compromise between size and detail) is a 85% *.jpg quality conversion. Oh, I resize them for this site to 1024*640 at the same time.

I keep the original data until I have selected what I want, and then I convert it either on a one by one basis or, when creating series, batch them.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on March 09, 2010, 12:03:07 PM
Excellent tip, D_B - this is one that I didn't know  :-X

Someone else tipped me to it, I thought from here on OWG, but who knows? Anyway, that's how I got all the screenshots to stitch into those panoramas I did a while back.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

GPFontaine, it just occurred to me that you might be up to creating a film, is that why you need such amounts of screenshots?

GPFontaine

Quote from: Art Blade on March 10, 2010, 03:08:38 PM
GPFontaine, it just occurred to me that you might be up to creating a film, is that why you need such amounts of screenshots?
Nope.  I am going for something a big different.  I'm just not getting it yet.  I have done 4 attempts so far.  Maybe the 5th is a charm.  I'd hate to spoil it before I have something tangible.  I think it could be pretty cool if it works.  If I can't get it by attempt #7 I'll share the info and see if we can all collaborate.

Art Blade

alright, fair enough  ;) Good luck, then  :-X

PZ

This is starting to sound exciting - something to look forward to.

I remember your panorama D_B - very cool w@&k  :-X

GPFontaine

Quote from: PZ on March 12, 2010, 11:48:39 AM
This is starting to sound exciting - something to look forward to.

I remember your panorama D_B - very cool w@&k  :-X
Could you link to it?  I'd be interested to see it.

PZ

As I recall, D_B had it hosted off-site, but mentioned the location here.  I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: found it

Art Blade

Art Blade

looks like you were editing while I was posting, PZ  ;D

And it still doesn't w@&k for me.

PZ

lol, we're doing this with increasing frequency!  Did you try all of the links or just that one (worked for me, but needed to do a page refresh)

Art Blade

hehe, we keep doing it  ;D

the pictures and all that is there and I can see them, but neither FireFox nor IE show that panorama applet, the page stays blank and I can't help it.

PZ

Truly strange - you do have Java installed?

Sorry that you can't run it - it's almost like being in the game.

Art Blade

That is one out of two pages/sites I can't use. All others w@&k just nicely.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on March 12, 2010, 02:06:00 PM
you do have Java installed?

Now I have.  :-[ I always meant to do that, you already suggested it in that topic back then.

I can see something now  :) Oh, it is a panorama  :P ;) :-X

PZ

GPFontaine

Well that was very cool.  In many ways what I am trying to do is similar.  Perhaps less impressive, but also fun and unique.

Hopefully I'll have some success this weekend ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳