what does "spidnot" mean?

Started by Art Blade, September 22, 2013, 05:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I couldn't find out what it is, probably some local L.A. slang. My best guess is, "location," but I really have no clue.

Anyone? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Some context of where you encountered the term might help.  ????

SPID is Server Process ID.  That term has something to do with SQL (Structured Query Language) or at least SQL pops up when I Google SPID.

SPID:NOT as an SQL response would appear to mean that an expected identifier is either not in the appropriate language or that the identified object does not comply with the expected protocol.

Beyond that if someone called you a spidnot at a bar or because you'd stepped on their foot I'd suspect that you'd been insulted.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Hehe, thanks :)

ok, it's not computer-related (hey, seriously, I wouldn't suggest L.A. slang for that sort of stuff  :-() ) and of course I had googled, metacrawled, wiki'd and checked the urban dictionary which is usually the best source for all kinds of weird slang stuff, but in the end I came up empty-handed. So.. if nothing helps, OWG usually does  ;)

Some black gang guys in L.A. were looking for a house because they wanted to boost two cars located there, asked directions, found it, and then said, "this the spidnot right here." I know it's spelled like this because I read the subtitles.

So.. could be "target" or "location" or something like that, but I couldn't quite get it. It looks as if it could be "speed not" but I don't think so.. stealing fast sports cars would be quite the opposite. So here's the mystery.. what the hell is it?  :)

But I think I got it. It's most likely "spot" -- with an extra syllable. They have that slang thingy in L.A. adding "ee" sounds like "-iz-", transforming words such as strech -> strizech. or, can't -> kizan't, or self -> sizelf

OK, done, unless anyone can prove me wrong  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I think, trying to adapt any type of slang in my brain, that it would mean something like "place not to spit on" or where people meet to "spit together" as in a "spit-knot". So it should indicate the place where several "spitting" people have arranged a meeting point ore whatever type of agreement.

Hope this cleared the mystery a bit 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

No idea, however an anagram might be "Do Pints"  >:D  :angel:

mandru

With the additional context I believe you are right Art in that it's probably "This is the spot..."
- mandru

Art Blade

thanks, mandru. :) With this thingy, adding syllables to random words, it might also explain why we kizan't find it anywhere  :-D

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Shizzle nizz nazzel minizzel. Feel me? A'ight, gotcha, dog.

Damn. What has become of this language..

Art Blade

I think I found the Old School source of that "iz" and "izzo" thingy. A rap group from the 1980s, UTFO (Untouchable Force Organization) came up with Roxanne Roxanne and yes, there it goes public..

skip to 0:35 to hear those famous izzo words. :)

UTFO-Roxanne Roxanne

Binnatics

Nice oldschool skills. And you might be right. Damn, these original beats are so simple. Doomf, tszit, doomf doomf tszit, Doomf, tszit, doomf doomf tszit, Doomf, tszit, doomf doomf tszit, ... and the scratch ... dzjiwwydzjiwwydzjiwwy-arrrgh dzjiw-h-wi-iw-dzjiw-i-arrrgh
Quite funky in fact.. dizzy and fresh at the same time :-X :)

Art Blade

hey guys.. whatever you gave him, I want some of it, too. :-D

mandru

I've been known to respond to leet ((1337) when typed in an MMORPG I play) and this type of shuffle talk with a blank look and the line "Sorry I only speak English."  Especially when it's someone begging for something.  ::)
- mandru

Art Blade

good boy  :-D I remember the times when I first got online and was in a game with text chat going on and I saw those weird punctuations that didn't make sense to me, at the end of a line. So I asked why people finished their lines with ":" and ")" or ":" and "-" and ")" because at least ")" to me required a previous "(" -- the answer was simple, polite and no one laughed at me.  : )

durian

Art, I think you're probably right about spidnot meaning spot.

He who understands others is intelligent
He who understands himself is wise (Tao Te Ching)

Art Blade

fragger

One of the many reasons why I enjoy interacting with people here is that it's nice to communicate with folks who know how to write coherently 8)

I get appalled whenever I read posted comments at places like You Tube. So many people seem incapable of putting words together properly, even when they manage to spell them correctly, which isn't often, and some comments are just completely incomprehensible. They might as well post in Swahili for all the sense I can make of them. Don't get me started on punctuation abuse ::)

OWG members for whom English isn't a first language do a better job of putting their thoughts across than many native English speakers do elsewhere on the net.

Not having kids, I don't know what gets taught at school nowadays, but evidently proficiency in written English isn't a priority subject on the curricula.

I don't know what "spidnot" means. Sounds like a piece of plumbing to me: "Here's your problem - there's a ball of hair caught in the spidnot" :-()

Art Blade

:laugh:

yep, writing skills.. I mean, these days, with Thesaurus and spell-checker and online dictionaries it's so goddamn easy to write properly. But you're not alone, fragger.. in my company, a bloke (in his mid-thirties) just graduated from some University of Applied Sciences which also required some advanced technical certificate in order to qualify for entrance to begin with, doesn't command his own native language when it comes to simple grammar rules which I learned when I was about 10 years old. It makes my eyes bleed reading some of his works that he publishes across the company. Getting all those qualifications was required of him in order to get through an assessment centre which again was required in order to determine whether or not he was fit for becoming a team leader (promotion). Great. Now, he did all that after w@&k which in itself is quite an accomplishment but hey, it doesn't change the fact that he can't even write an instruction without committing a few mistakes. And I may very well be one of the few people still capable of recognising those mistakes. Imagine, he has worked for the company for several years already and only to become a simple team leader they a) make him graduate and b) have him go through an assessment centre as if they didn't know him at all. And no one realised he can't even write? But yes, only a degree automatically makes you a natural leader. And as a leader, you don't need to know any more how to write down something in your bloody own native language, let alone compose letters or instructions in a proper business environment. Or pass a test. By the way, after graduating he became team leader.

OK, I reckon I got carried away a bit with that rant.. but it's entierely fragger's fault, not mine. ;)  :-D

Binnatics

Thanx fragger, we keep trying. It seems that there's a trend not to lose time on communication itself. Ppl (oops ::)) People have no time to check how they say things, they're already focussing on the next youtube film they watching. They're multi-tabbing  ^-^

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on September 24, 2013, 05:27:48 PM
OK, I reckon I got carried away a bit with that rant.. but it's entierely fragger's fault, not mine. ;)  :-D

I know, I'm a bad influence :-D

Multi-tabbing :laugh: :-X

Art Blade

I moved this topic from off topic to GTAV because the original question came up when watching a YT vid. I decided to put it off topic so anyone would notice who might not have noticed if posted in a game board. :)

However, I found another word in that context:

gridnind. It means "grind." (same construct: -idn-, like sp-idn-ot and gr-idn-ind)

Example: "You wanna get whips like this, you gotta stay on yo' gridnind"
meaning: "If you want to get (expensive) cars like this, you've got to stay on your grind"

Stay on your grind, meaning: keep up the hard w@&k

nexor

Guys, you shouldn't complain, come live in the new SA,  they don't just spell them wrong here, they even pronounce them wrong   ???
Sometimes you have to sit back and try deciphering a sentence in an attempt to comprehend what the person actually meant.
Cabinet Ministers, TV / Radio presenters and news readers where a University degree is a must.
This one guy, he's the SA Lottery's TV host, firstly his dentures are way too big for his mouth, and the word millionaire comes out something like "millinare"     
He's driving me insane  :o :o :o

Art Blade

Binnatics

Art, could you trace the video where you first heard the word? Since it's now a GTA V topic, which is totally fitting imho, I'm curious where you heard the slang talk ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳