PZ's Watchdogs 2 experiences

Started by PZ, November 28, 2016, 11:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I did not know whether or not to start this post in the Rant board, considering Watchdogs 2 is a Ubi game.

As I mentioned in another post, I generally like the game so far very much - graphics, silky smooth movements, driving, fighting, etc.

However, I have not done a main mission, and am already dreading the possibility of missions like the motorcycle atop the train mission (which I hated) in GTAV.

My first rant will be that there is no way to save the game in the menu system - I know exactly where I left off, and we'll see how far back that puts me in the game when I reload it.  \:/

Art Blade

happy ranting -- I am expecting loads to come :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Sounds like a good game :) Komplett haven't sent my copy of the game yet, but I expect them to do so tomorrow (2 hours until midnight launch in Norway)  ^-^ Unfortunately, I have to play the game at potato settings. Changed to my new PSU today and there was no space for my beloved graphics card  :'(
LEGACY

PZ

I think you'll probably like the game if you enjoyed GTAV type gaming.  I like the hacking part, and being able to control my small wheeled robot that can fit into tiny spaces like ventilation ducts. Eventually I'll be able to purchase a tiny drone from which I can hack and do other kinds of things.  I hope it will be fun, and not a nuisance, else the ranting will really start.  :-()

OWGKID

LEGACY

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

The game have received a lot of positive ratings from critics. PC port is available here in 20 minutes.
LEGACY

PZ

Let us know how big the update is - the PS4 was rather small, but the console does not indicate the actual size - we only know by how quickly it downloads.  :-()

OWGKID

Well, I am still waiting for Komplett to send it. I don't mind if I won't be able to play until the weekend
LEGACY

PZ

Well, a few things to report.

After starting the game, I was exactly at the same point as when I left it yesterday, so that part is good. I still wish we could do as many game saves as we like - Uncharted 4 allows me to save games just like FC2, so I can go anywhere back in time to any point of interest I saved.  No such benefit in WD2 - just the same old Ubishit autosave a single game.

I did the mission to hack the movie studio, and discovered that if you die, you go right back to the beginning of the mission and start completely over (more Ubishit).  Naturally I died a few times just to see what happens and how far I could get into the mission. At the end of the day, the mission is relatively short if you go in running and gunning, but can take quite a bit of time if you "ghost" it (go in stealthy).

I was able to use my tiny robot wheeled-thing called a Jumper for the first time.  It was cool to drive it - much like a remote control car.  I went through ventilation shafts, and under the theater stage.

A good thing is that this is really open world, and you can approach missions from many different aspects.  I finally went in running and gunning with my stun gun, and completed the mission in about 30 minutes.

An interesting aspect is that you can opt into online missions right in the SP game - they are listed as purple icons on the map. The bad is that you are automatically signed in to the UbiClub when you start the game.

Other than the typical Ubishit foolishness in game design, I really like the game overall.

OWGKID

So basically no checkpoints? Well, that reminds me of the older GTA games.
LEGACY

PZ

I believe so - there was a point in one of my attempts where I was nearly done with the mission, and a guard killed me from behind.  The game put me completely at the beginning of the mission again (right outside the gate of the facility)

I have to say that I don't like that kind of programming. I wanted to go in stealthy, but ended up mostly running and gunning to get the job done.  At one point I was stuck in the last room, surrounded by guards, and as I was killing them from behind cover, the remainder kept calling in reinforcements.  It made me feel like I was in one of the big towns in FC2 with mercs spawning in an overwhelming way.

The cops are also on alert when the guards call them, and they chase you around like in GTAV.  One time while in this mission, I tried to escape in a vehicle, and up comes the stupid prompt "You are leaving the mission area, and have x number of seconds to return".  I did turn around, and felt like a chicken with head cut off trying to dodge the cops between buildings, limited to a relatively small sphere of being within the mission parameters.

One of my favorite things in the game is the smart phone, which allows you to install apps for a variety of purposes.  For instance, one that looks and works like Google maps.  That little bit of realism makes it more fun for me.

OWGKID

LEGACY

fragger

That saving system, if you could call it a system, sounds like a royal pain - classic Ubisoft :-( When will they learn that players actually hate that kind of thing? They need a jolly good talking to about some of their lousy game design habits \:/

How stupid of them to expect you to lose the cops, yet restrict how far you can run. That doesn't sound very sporting.

Geez, I'm ranting more than you are and I'm not even playing. It comes easy when Ubi is involved :-() I'm glad you're enjoying the game regardless, PZ :-X

Art Blade

PZ

:laugh: I like your rant, fragger!

I totally agree about the save game issue - other new games allow it. On a positive note, the larger missions do have check points that you return to if you crash and burn. The mission I complained about yesterday was in reality so short that it did not need a check point. I guess the bottom line is that if doing a mission, and you are returned to the beginning, it is much easier than you think, and need to follow another approach.

I had a much better experience today on another mission where I was to steal a car and escape the cops. I crashed so much my car was running on the rims, so I thought my try was over and I'd need to go again. So, I tried hopping out of my car and sure enough the cops started shooting me. Here's where it went well: I was able to steal a new car and then escape the cops.  Once successful, I got the prompt to go back to get my original car and drive it to the garage, which I did. That was refreshing - normally I would expect the game to demand that I stay in the original car.

More cool stuff: you can hack into junction boxes and create an EMR sphere which will electrocute guards if they enter it. There are plenty, and you can watch from cameras in restricted areas, setting the traps via camera or Jumper, and then just lure the bad guys to their demise. That's really fun.

I also encountered lots of gunfire and yelling outside my hideout - turns out the cops were fighting a rival faction, and I could stand by and watch the fireworks.

One last thing for now - I normally HATE the drive challenges where you have to go through rings following a path while cops are chasing you. The one I did this morning was so reasonable I managed to do it in one try - it was NOT timed like in other games - the time issue is what I hate most about drive (or any other) timed challenges.

So far so good, and I have had pieces of missions that really give me enjoyment and satisfaction.

PZ

This is kind of cool - there are a series of skills you can obtain by using "research" points, which you gain by doing missions. In addition to shooting, hacking and other skills, I activated one this morning that allows you to target people and send one of the gangs to attack them.

Reminds me of the "send the assassins" skill in the AC series.  I always enjoyed targeting a bad guy and having the assassins go in to do the dirty w@&k.  I hope this works the same.

OWGKID

LEGACY

Art Blade

dirty w@&k? Delegate. Doesn't w@&k? Renegade.  :-D

PZ

:laugh:

I'm going to target the next cop I see and see if the gangs attack him  >:D

Art Blade

laying a trap, also a nice MO  :-()

PZ

Agreed AB  :-X  It's great fun to hack the electrical boxes and lure the guards into the EMR.  There are big ones as well.  In the streets, you can hack some kind of explosive so when a car passes by it explodes leaving a rather large crater.

I tried sending gang members to take out a cop, but they were unsuccessful.  However, with my next batch of research points, I upgraded to high level gang attackers and tried again, this time on a cash bag guarded by a gang.  I sent in a request for a gang attack, and central sent experienced killers who not only did away with the rival gang allowing me to stroll in and grab the cash, they also killed the cops responding to the ruckus.  There was one cash bag that was on the roof of a building that would be a challenge so I used the drone to fly high, target a gang guard, and then tried sending my gang attackers - they managed to kill the guards!

There is one higher level of gang attack called "gang war" which I assume sends a whole bunch of gang killers.

Regarding the drone - you actually go to your gang hideout and use a 3D printer to manufacture the Jumper and drone - kind of a fun and different way to create your tools.

Regarding your cell phone - you can actually go out of service in outlying areas, and that prevents you from accessing your phone apps, although your hacking is not affected. Of course, this might just be a game bug, and not really intended to be part of the design.  8-X

I'm really liking the game, but have so far avoided anything that sounds like a race or challenge, which thankfully have only been in side quests.

Art Blade

I am glad that you're enjoying the game and that finally there is a game that keeps you playing for more than 10 minutes total  :-X :-D

PZ

:laugh:

Hey, I'm playing my third play through in Uncharted 4 and only put it away for the time because Watchdogs 2 is out!  :-()

Art Blade

I'm terribly sorry to hear that  :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳