Watch Dogs, new IP from Ubisoft

Started by ninzza, June 04, 2012, 04:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninzza

It blew me away. The graphics look fantastic, the gameplay is fun and innovative.

9 minute gameplay

Watch Dogs - Game Demo Video [UK]

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Kinda reminds me of that "Person of Interest" TV show where a computer tracks everything and extrapolates who's going to commit or be the victim of a crime, and these guys use it to try and stop it. Of course, they don't have a magic cell phone that can control other phones and traffic lights, but kinda the same idea.

I doubt I'll be playing it as I don't do third person games, but it looks cool.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Here are a couple more links; the first is the latest trailer.  It appears to be open world enough for my tastes.

Watch_Dogs - World Premiere Gameplay Trailer: Out of Control [North America]

... and here is more from the IGN Wiki

http://www.ign.com/wikis/watch-dogs

Fiach

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 05, 2012, 11:47:40 AM
Kinda reminds me of that "Person of Interest" TV show where a computer tracks everything and extrapolates who's going to commit or be the victim of a crime, and these guys use it to try and stop it. Of course, they don't have a magic cell phone that can control other phones and traffic lights, but kinda the same idea.

I doubt I'll be playing it as I don't do third person games, but it looks cool.

Is PoI any good? I watched the first episode and it seemed a bit meh.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

PZ, I'm not so much worried about that game not being open world. I'm worried about it being from UBI.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

That's because you haven't played Simcity by EA, which is unceremoniously touted as one of the worst (if not the worst) companies in America.  :-()

I'm with you though.  Even though the AC series has improved in ways, there is definitely more in the way of linearity just as we see in FC3.  I'm afraid that this trend heralds the end of the type of open world game that we OWG members appreciate.  While I understand the profit mentality of the gaming companies, I lament the trend.

However, the few snippets of this game I have watched appear to have promise.

Art Blade

linearity for one, and the notoriety for starting out with loads of bugs and releasing patches that introduce new bugs rather than ridding us of old ones. I am sincerely considering what other people already said: to never again buy a game by UBI. One company already managed, I will never again buy any Atari games.

Binnatics

This game looks like GTA. If open world it isn't easy to develop.... With UBI behind the wheel I'd be careful indeed...

Note to self: Never buy anymore iD games :angry-new: ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I've learned: Rockstar Games have been extremely high quality. So far, I know GTA IV and L.A. Noire which are extremely nice and detailed. I am considering to buy more games by Rockstar (including older titles) just because they're Rockstar games even if I think I wouldn't have considered them before, like I am currently considering whether or not to buy my first Max Payne ("3") title just because of that.

Fiach

All the Max Payne games are good mate, the old ones should be really cheap at this stage, the story is strong enough that it would make more sense to start at the start, but 3 is good enough to play on it's own if thats what you want. :)

Art Blade

thanks for the advice, good to know :)

This reminds me of the HitMan series. I started somewhere in the middle and then purchased the titles that had preceded it. They were great regarding story but a disaster regarding graphics and controls. So when I finished GTA IV, I first checked YT to see what its predecessors looked like and immediately abstained from purchasing and playing previous titles of that series. I therefore reckon that I indeed best start with MP3 (checked a bit on YT already.. heh heh  :-() ) and then decide whether or not to acquire older titles of that series. :)

Fiach

You should definately try San Andreas and Vice City, I wouldnt knock the previous MP gfx, the story is more about atmosphere and the gfx are pretty good, but I play alot of old school games, so maybe I'm just used to looking at bad gfx...  ^-^

I think the MP series is coming to g.o.g this month btw, so that would be a good version to aim for, as they patch the games they sell, when needed to be compatible with new Windows versions etc.

Art Blade

thanks for the tips, mate :) I don't worry about older games and not that much about not so posh graphics but man, if you go back just a few years it is shocking by comparison. So, I'll not go back much further than four years (thinking of FC2) :-()

Binnatics

I would agree with Fiach that for San Andreas at least it's worth a try. I've seen it on special offer at Steam only costing like €2,50 or something. Although the graphics are crappy compared to new standards, the music is timeless. And the gameplay in general is brilliant, well, to make one side note: the in-car controls are different; you won't have mouse look and have to look around with 'w-s-a-d'. (or arrow keys if you steer with your left hand) That was basically the reason that I didn't get back to it after playing GTA IV a lot. But, I'm sure I spent over 1000 hours in San Andreas. Without MP, imagine.

Max payne is something that attracts me too. There was a special offer last week for the whole bunch for almost nothing (again at steam) but I didn't do it. I purchased Raccoon City instead, which couldn't attract me much yet. Glad that game only costed €9,51 lol
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

next time MP3 is on a special steam sale, let's get it  :)

Binnatics

We will :-X ^-^

Max Payne 3 seems to have a very challenging MP too, ;) :-X

Art Blade

excellent.. I see we might have found something to share for the near future. :-() :-X

Hell Diguner

Necro! I originally wrote this as a reply to http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?topic=3421.0 but I ended up talking more about Watchdogs than The Division. I figure it belongs in this thread more than that one.

///

The little bit of gameplay they've showed of The Division looks rather bland. Lots of simplistic gimmicks with no real depth to any part of the game, especially if you don't play with friends and with voip.

Of the "next gen" sandbox games, Watchdogs looks the most interesting to me. In all the true sandbox games that I'm aware of, the player brings a number of abilities to the environment. In Watchdogs nearly all abilities available to you are pre-positioned in the environment. You can't change the location of security cameras, or road blocks, or most things you have "special powers" over. That means the devs are able to construct a sandbox world with meaningful differences between one "location" and another (beyond visuals and basic shooter tactics like cover, height, and prioritizing targets).

Still Ubisoft, but it looks like they haven't messed anything up and you can opt out of "always online" ;)

Shortest video with most info and a good slice of gameplay (15 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM22L83UA_Q

Compilation of most gameplay videos released (1.5 hours):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P60eyU7qCh8

PZ

The game looks better with each game play video I watch.  I appreciate the realistic environment complete with trash and other items you'd expect to find lying around.  I think this one might be in my future despite it being from Ubi

Art Blade

fascinating what you can see and do but I really hate all those white lines and icons and everything popping up, destroys the normal or natural-looking scenery and environment and so on. Too much tech overlay for my taste.

PZ

I don't care for those "high tech" lines either, but it is not a deal breaker for me.  I'm hoping that there is an option to at least reduce the intrusion of some of those elements.

PZ

Well, I picked up this game today (PS4). Will report howit goes.

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳