Best Far Cry Game is Far Cry 2

Started by TheStranger, January 20, 2015, 11:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Good article. I think it roughly represents what most of us here is thinking about the series as well. I haven't played the first Far Cry, and haven't yet played FC4 (I will seriously wait for the bargain bin special price drop :-D) but with what I know of these two and what I've experienced in FC3 I completely agree with the uniqueness, the guts shown in the design, and the exceptional way of making a complete true world. Which is indeed giving you the feeling you are never safe anywhere. :-X :)

I must admit that I have probably spent more time in FC3, with its online playing possibilities giving much extras, but Far Cry 2 has engraved something in my memory that almost feels like a true holiday while FC3 is just excitement and shooting fun.  8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I certainly agree with the author of the article - FC2 is definitely the best in the series.  However, if you play on a PC and mod the game, many of the detractors are a thing of the past, which truly makes FC2 the best ever.  :-X

Good post, TheStranger  :-X

nexor

But even the vanilla version played on infamous is great, the amount of times you get your a$$ kicked is mostly your own doing and has nothing to do with how the game was developed.

And to me, that is what makes FarCry2 the best gave ever developed

fragger

I agree totally with that article. FC2 had a raw grittiness and foreboding atmosphere to it that the subsequent installations lack, especially to anybody who is well-read enough to know that the situations depicted in that game have such tragic, real-world parallels - you just know this sort of stuff goes on for real. FC3: latter-day pirates and a slave-trading, poker-playing drug kingpin protected by a state-of-the-art private militia? That's James Bond's turf. FC4: a well-spoken, pink-suited, self-proclaimed bisexual king of a remote and obscure Himalayan province trying to woo you to his side? Action movie territory again. FC2 is rooted in harsh actuality and didn't hesitate to hit you in the face with it.

It's hard to put into words, but the world of FC2 felt entirely, chillingly credible, and this was reinforced by the amazing atmospheric time-of-day effects, the depiction of third-world squalor, the scrambling dog-eat-dog ambition that drives its characters, and the sense that you're hopelessly caught up in it all. There's a look-over-your-shoulder quality to it that I haven't experienced in any other game. It engages on many levels, and I have to say that I have never experienced such a combination of adrenalin-pumping excitement and thought-provoking sobriety than I have in that game.

There's never been anything like FC2, before or since. It's a beautiful, ugly, engaging and confronting w@&k of art :-X

Binnatics

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

You hit the nail on the head with that description, fragger +1  :-X

I might be mistaken, but I have never in real life seen a giant fire-breathing ghostly apparition, but then again, I don't smoke what those fools at Ubisoft do.

Binnatics

Dweller_Benthos

I would probably agree as well, considering the amount of time I spent in FC2 greatly outweighs FC3. I ran through FC3 once, with maybe a little extra outpost fun afterwards. FC2 I did the complete game 2 or 3 times.

The first Far Cry was really good, up until the point the mutants appeared. That's when I put it in god mode and just ran through everything. But the first half or 2/3 was really fun. I remember playing the small demo over and over, waiting for the full game to be released.

LOL at Binn's screenshot  - I never uninstalled it heh. Matter of fact, I haven't uninstalled most any game, I still have my installs of Wolfenstein 3D and Blake Stone (backed up on CDR lol) from the early 90's, just copy them over to an HDD and run them through DOS box.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

:-D I only uninstalled three or so games. One of which was that blasted WWII air combat game that didn't even have a configuration menu for the joystick -- I subsequently returned it and got my money back. And one or two games that I really didn't want to play anymore. The rest went into the bin together with the hardware.. no need for a P133 and so on anymore, either. :-()

yep, nice one, Binnatics  :-X :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

That screen cap brings back very fond old memories  :-X

Binnatics

That's basically why I posted it ^-^

I had these same old feelings (for me only 3 years ago, lol) and knew you guys could relate.

I do uninstall games more often. Mostly because my system needs to be re-installed from scratch or other hardware related fresh instalments. I think I already installed FC2 3 or 4 times. I had great difficulties in introducing the code though. It had both a "V" and a "0" in it, which could also be read as a "U" and a "O". So I had to do that 3 times before I got it correct. Good old codes. With Steam taking care of things that's a thing of the past as well :-D

nexor

FarCry 2 is on my pc, and it will stay there even if someone develops a better game   \:/

JRD

I fully agree with you all.  :-X

I just started a new game of FC2 and I keep getting amazed with both graphics and gameplay. I am playing it modded for the first time too, so the fun factor is high as well. Last three playthroughs were vanilla, hardcore mode on.  >:D  >:D. Even though I didn't play the game start-to-end so many times, each time was extended by as much as possible and I managed to play all mission in so many different ways I am pleased to play them all again, unlike FC3 whose missions gave me a sense of relief after finishing them instead of joy.

I like the mod PZ created. It makes mercs more susceptible to bullets and the enhanced running speed that makes going through check points much, much better. Having those two annoyances fixed, the game becomes amazingly fun to play. I don't mind about the malaria or guns degrading. All missions are well designed and the freedom you get is what I love the most. S8imple and fun, that's how it should be.  8)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

nexor

Ok, there are one or two things I would like having changed in the game, but no matter which way you look at it JRD, the game and it's developers should have gotten more credit than what a lot of gamers gave it.

JRD

It seems that all the features I love are exactly what the average audience complains about. For instance, take the missions design. We all know how simple they are and we've discussed it in here several times: kill, steal, sabotage or blow something up. How you do it is up to you. This is where the beauty of FC2 lies: simplicity that gives you freedom of choice. And yet, for the vast majority of the audience out there, this is unacceptable. They just can't handle a mission objective that is that simple. They need something intricate, convoluted like breaking into somewhere to steal something and get a particular weapon to get to the explosive and place it at that precise point and move to a secure place where all the scripted events can be triggered.  :D

That's why the vast majority of gamers like the railroad track kind of mission where you are in a moving vehicle driven by an NPC and the enemies keep getting to you and you wipe them out with whatever weapon given to you in a very scripted way. Well, the barge mission is somehow that sort of mission. AC games have that kind of mission too but those games don't rely simply on scripted events to get moments of cheap adrenalin rush.

Once you just give players a simple task and let them choose how to accomplish it you are making the game a true sandbox experience. This is why i finish every mission in FC2 thinking about how I will try to do it again next time... because there will be a next time.

The unpredictability of FC2 is another thing I love. Most of the times my initial plan needs to be adjusted because something went wrong along the way and I have to improvise. The malaria attacks have given me a couple "holy crap" moments I will never forget. It gets old fast, of course, but once you improve your healt it goes away. Weapons degrading are also something I don't care. Simply because I always run through a weapons storage and get a fresh loadout. This is also when I change weapons type and try different approaches to those missions.  8)

Now the respawning check points always were a pain in the a$$ to me. But thanks to PZ I can run past them and just drop a molotov or two to enlighten the day of our beloved mercs.  >:D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

nexor

What I've experienced the past number of years with my nieces and nephews is that they are completely lost if they not spoon fed or put into a situation where they have to think or plan something.
That's why they can only play games that will only allow them to perform one simple task, that being, pointing a gun and pulling the trigger.
The moment they're required to think and plan their next move, the brains short circuits   :D 

PZ

That, unfortunately, nex, is the way it is everywhere, and I am truly afraid that we are handing over the world to these fools as we age

Dweller_Benthos

I don't recall ever having a problem with weapons degrading, I never had one long enough for it to be an issue. Same with malaria, they seemed to only happen now and then and I always had easy to get pills on me to cure it. I only recall getting an episode a few times in a critical situation.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

I make it a habit to drop in to an armoury whenever I find myself near one and replace all my weapons, so I almost never have a malfunction. I think the idea of the weapons degradation was for it to be a very rough way of simulating weapons maintenance. Watching your guy sit down, strip and clean his weapon in the field would have been pretty boring though, so they did it the way they did instead.

I thought it was actually a nice bit of added realism, but it should have been an option that the player could toggle on or off.

PZ

Quote from: fragger on January 26, 2015, 01:05:32 PM
... but it should have been an option that the player could toggle on or off.

I agree - almost eliminating degradation by modding has completely changed the way I am able to travel to and fro mission sites.  I too formerly visited an armory after every mission, but now can visit much more of the map since that is no longer necessary

nexor

I quite liked the idea  :)
What I would have liked for the devs to have gone one step further.
Just imagine yourself at one of the safe houses sitting outside by the fire listening to the nightlife having beans with some fresh venison cooked with it, sourdough biscuits and a cup of coffee    8)

PZ

That brings to mind again the concept of having toggle options in the games.  Having been a programmer in a past life, I know that should be something easy to accomplish, yet none do.

I'd love to toggle off those nasty eagles, Ahole dogs, and effin' Tiberian wolves in FC4  8-X

Binnatics

I think the amount of different animals in FC4 is overdone. If I see the piles of dog-like, cat-like and other badger-like animals I get tired already before even having to search for all of those for the whole crafting business. In my opinion, FC3 was great. The amount of wildlife was realistic and varied. They could've replaces some panthers or leopards for the rhinos and elephants, adding a few eagles and Bob's your uncle. No, now Uplay: "They like our wildlife! Let's overdose it to them so they can make good use of that overpowered Buzzsaw and act like some lowlife African poachers" >:(

PZ

I'm not fond of any of the animals as they are over aggressive - the elephant of course, I like  :-()

Tags:
🡱 🡳