How to play Fallout 4

Started by OWGKID, November 30, 2015, 10:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

We in Holland have a saying; "Goedkoop is duurkoop". Litteraly it means "Good-buy is expensive-buy". But goedkoop is our 'common' word for 'cheap'. So it is a commonly known expression to say that if you buy something cheap, usually you spend more in the end than when you buy something expensive.

I was lucky though, buth my AMD cards were replaced by the retailer because they failed on me within 2 years. My second replacement turned out to be the GTX570, a marvellous card that gave me many hours of joy :)

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Our saying is almost exactly the same: "the cheap comes out expensive"

Art Blade

here a local dialect saying goes, "wat nix kost, dat is nix" -- something that does not cost anything is not worth anything. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Just goes to show you, "cheap" is a universal language.

I remember when I was a kid, anything made in Japan was considered junk.  Today Japanese products are trusted as much if not more than domestic products, and I can attest to that.  I've always had problems with Chrysler products, and my last truck was a Cummins Ram - leaked rain into the cab from day one (soaked the carpets if left out). I now have a newer Cummins Ram, and it has already been into the shop for three recalls. If not for the industrial diesel, I'd never have purchased another one.

Ever since the 1980's I've also had Japanese cars (Nissan, Honda, Subaru) - not a lick of trouble other than general maintenance.

Now, China is the new Japan - nothing but junk and pollution comes out of China.  Their pollution is even reaching the west coast of the US.  A few years ago I purchased LED Christmas lights from Costco, and bulbs that should last 50,000 hours lasted one season.

Art Blade

well, if it was one season with just a tad over 50,000 hours.. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on December 17, 2015, 10:19:46 AM
Now, China is the new Japan - nothing but junk and pollution comes out of China.  Their pollution is even reaching the west coast of the US.  A few years ago I purchased LED Christmas lights from Costco, and bulbs that should last 50,000 hours lasted one season.

Not to mention the amount of lead that's in them, yeah.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 17, 2015, 11:36:00 PM
well, if it was one season with just a tad over 50,000 hours.. :-D

Indeed - 60 days x approximately 4 hours per evening is only 240 hours and doesn't even come close unless of course the Chinese hour is measured differently  :-()

Art Blade

well -- we all have got a history but we also know that the Chinese have got a very long history. :-D

PZ

Perhaps their measure of the 60-minute hour is inversely proportional to the length of their history.  :-()

Art Blade

so it would take several hours reading just this one line. ??? :-()

PZ

YES!  We'd need to do a study on exactly how many Chinese hours would be required - took even longer to write it

Something like 50,000 hours to read the average short story :-()

Art Blade

:-D

imagine the consequences. For instance, shaving. You'd never get a close shave because the beard would grow back faster than you could shave it off :laugh:

PZ

:laugh:

I guess that is why so many Chinese art and photos depict men with long white beards

Art Blade

Indeed :)

Confucius say: Man who cut self while shaving, lose face. :-D

fragger

Art Blade

^-^

I was just trying to imagine hunger and eating, with those Chinese hours in mind.

Confucius say: All men eat, but Fu Manchu. :-D

mandru

How to play Fallout 4?  ????   I'd suggest starting with a big bottle of horse tranquilizers if you don't have a previously established Steam account.

In spite of all my reservations about Steam we bought FO4 today.  :)

I was anxious to get FO4 up and running but to make sure everything on my end was ready for the install I accessed Steam to create a new account that would be linked to the name mandru and my associated email spam trap account.  I'd decided to save time and let my old abandoned Steam account stay dead rather than hassle with resurrecting it through the Steam Support Staff in order to start with a clean slate.  At least that was what I thought at the time.

Silly me, right?

Step #1 create new account - easy enough and done.
Step #2 download and install Steam - spent five minutes tops and done
Step #3 on completion of the install there was a check box to Launch Steam.exe - it seemed like a good idea but this is where the happy train flew off the rails and into the Devil's sewage pretreatment plant.  :D

Setting up my user account I wasn't able to simply use my name as mandru as it was too short so I tried something else easily remembered and I also had a password in mind that would be easy for me to remember.  On submitting my selections I received an email notice congratulating me on joining Steam but when I went to the download and install portion of this task that part went well but on launching Steam I was asked for the username and password I'd set up mere moments before and I was informed that the information entered was incorrect.

I know damn dead certain that there was no error in my entry.  I keyed and re-keyed the correct username and pass several more times only to be met invariably with the message that it was my error not theirs.  >:((

That's when I clicked the "I forgot my password link" (even though I hadn't) which sent me another email with a User re-verification link.  I keyed in the exact same info once more which the system once again accepted but when I returned to the Steam login page it still failed my attempts to login.  Next I submitted a Support Team request a few hours ago to get this mess straightened out so I can start my installation of FO4.  Infuriating!  The very same password and username will zip me right back into the Steam support team's login without a blink but I still can't access into Steam!

In the meantime I'm stuck here in the depths of what from my personal experience has been my long harbored memories of a Steam(y) purgatory awaiting solution for a problem that shouldn't even exist by a company that doesn't seem to care.  :'(

Who the hell needs aerobics to get their heart rate up to target?
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

Wow, you must have bad luck with Steam, always worked flawless for me, I know that doesn't help, but....

I do have some experience with Steam support, though. Back when I was on dialup, Steam would try to auto-update itself. This is fine, but on dialup, Steam doesn't think that's a fast enough connection. I would let it run literally hours, which even on dialup is enough time to download the ~80 MB or so for a Steam client update. I would have a network meter running to monitor how much data was received, and it would be in the hundreds of megabytes, but the auto-update monitor would show only 1 or 2% progress. A trip to Steam support would invariably return the reply "Too bad, get a faster connection", but of course, it would be much more polite. They never could explain to me why it was downloading hundreds of megabytes but never getting close to completion of a ~80MB download.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Dang, mandru, I too have not had a problem even though I have a couple of Steam accounts due to my own ineptitude.

Have you tried your credentials in the browser version of Steam (i.e., the Steam site)? Might not make any difference, but at least you might feel better being able to log in somewhere.

OWGKID

Steam support is almost non-existent (6 months to reply to tickets according to some users >:((), the PCMR community seems to praise EA for top notch tech support ;)
LEGACY

Art Blade

I have never been in need of steam support so far. Sorry, no idea what went wrong there, mandru, but I certainly hope that you'll get it going soon.

mandru

@ GKID  ???           Six freaking months?   :D

The old adage is "Lightening never strikes the same place twice".  We all know that is total hooey.  If something is hit once the odds are that it will be hit over and over.  The people who made up those old adages had very little actual understanding of physics.

The exact same username + pass has let me log into Steam support (now probably over 20 times) without fail but not into Steam's main login for their homepage.  So here I am over 18 hours later after filing a support request and still no resolution or even a reply for something so blasted trivial.  This really should be an easy fix and Steam's lack of response has pushed my opinion of Steam to an all time low.

So the question is now, do close out the existing support ticket and I keep on creating new user names and passwords until I'm able to find a working combination that sneaks in past Steam's ineptitude?
- mandru

Binnatics

Oh boy, I would certainly do so...

MandruManiac01
MandruManiac02
MandruManiac03... until they understand >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

I get the idea.

mandru_steamhater01
mandru_steamsucks69
mandru_diesteamdie13

and so on.  >:((
- mandru

Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳