Batman: Arkham Origins

Started by Binnatics, September 19, 2014, 08:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Finally! The new instalment is in the bargain bin :-X ^-^

I bought it for €6,99 not a bad price for one of the Batman games. I've been waiting for a special offer since I already skipped the game on release date. Not that I didn't want to pay the full amount for it; I had other things on my mind. I decided to wait for the right offer, which is finally there at last, Yay!!! :)

I'm looking forward to the game, and am sad in the mean time because JRD isn't around to share the fun with. Well, who knows someone else will pick the game up as well. What about you, Stiku? Or Art, maybe? You had fun with Sleeping Dogs, I promise you this will bring you more fun than SD, and I bet you will come over that disturbing superhero thingy ;)

Will be starting tonight, I'll keep you guys posted 8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Looking forward to your adventures, Binn!

Stiku

Just bought the DLC Cold, Cold Heart for this game, allready played the original game 5 times through.

Game is actually almost the same as earlier installment's, but beefed up and tells a story of a younger Batman, and his first appearances over Gotham and its scum.
Also there is a multiplayer component in the game that allows you to play either Jokers henchmen, the Bat or blackmasks men and fight it out, either in stealth, straight up or with guns, and some other weird things, but the multiplayer side is really badly coded and thus really laggy and unoptimised, so I did'nt play it much,

Here's one of the challenges that the game has :
Spoiler

I do have some other vids at YT if you want spoilers, but this one is the best :
Spoiler

Binnatics

Great Stiku! It doesn't surprise me you already own the game. Wonder how that DLC is going to be. I might pick it up as well, though probably in the next special offer.

Looking forward to my adventures as well ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

I started the game and played what felt like the first level. Entering the Gotham Prison and chasing the black mask with its helper, Killercroc. It ended with a massive bossfight against Killer Croc and the Black Mask escaping. The handling felt right from the start; once again I realise how brilliant this fighting engine is working. I started on hard difficulty, what gave me some trouble getting a hang of the fighting again. I forgot most of the special moves, but I already learnt to stunn, dodge, ground takedown and of course regular punching and countering. "E" gives you the ability of performing a special takedown once your multiplier builds up enough, by not missing any punch. Yep, it runs damn smooth ^-^

I was a bit disappointed with the graphics though, and Read in an online review that this is the first game created by the new warner bros studio, instead of the usual Rocksteady studios. They use a different engine, which is notable. It promises to be more open world further in the game, so it's definitely a good game after all. The story attracts me and am hoping to learn all the tricks again soon :)

Art Blade

Sorry.. I have never liked those classic comic super heroes in any form.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

Actually Bin, the game engine uses the same Unreal Engine 3.5 that was used in Arkham City, also about 60% of the game resources is the same as in Arkham city.
Only difference is the DX11 support in the engine which is more comprehensive than what was on Arkham City.

Art, Batman ain't no super hero.

Yikes that chin of Bruce Wayne's  :-D
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

also found that the season pass has Igor the Batman also.

And this guy is creepy  :o

PZ

In that second photo, Igor the Batman looks like he enjoys too much linguine.

Maybe he should call himself Fatman instead of Batman

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

The notable difference in graphics to me was most evident in the batman character. It's design is simpler, and he is thicker, where the Batman in Arkham city and Asylum is taller. In this first lvl I played, I did not really have much environment to enjoy, since I was inside the prison building with small areas and quite corridor-like design. I guess it was some sort of tutorial mission. I'll have to check the rest of the game first, which I'll try to do today ^-^

Art, I've never been a big superhero lover, and am still not. I can relate to your dislike of the whole theme. What I like so much about these games is the way they create super-insane characters and they do match pretty good with real-life psychopaths of all kind.  >:D

Art Blade

Stiku

They have some differences in size, but Origins character has more details in it.

Arkham City Batman character (60's style, underwear over the suit)

Arkham Origins Fatman (newer style, whitey tidies under the suit)

And for Art, You need to revaluate your gaming genres, just because it doesnt look good or intrest you at first, doesnt mean you cant play it and like it.
Arkham series has the best fighting system of all time, AC4 feels like 80's joystick system compared to the fluent and accurate system that Batman has, which makes the game really enjoyable. >:D

Art Blade

80's joystick.. :-D Not going to argue here.  I'm glad that you guys are enjoying it. :)

Art Blade

Alright, alright. Stiku "convinced" me to test it. As in, "here's your gift, stop whining and play" -- just like Binnatics did with GTAIV and Portal2. Binnatics was right both times, maybe Stiku is, too. Anyway, downloading, and I'll give it a fair chance.  :)

Thank you very much, Stiku, and +1 :-X for your persuasive power :-D

Stiku

Here's a another fattier skin and a cryo suit.  8)

also a vid while using the Igor skin : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzQ7S_UV_70

Art Blade

Binnatics

Interesting development here, well played Stiku!!!

Now Art's bound to prove us right >:D ^-^ :)

Whatever, you're going to have  a lot of joy with this, that's for sure :-X

Quote from: Stiku on September 21, 2014, 06:14:52 AM
And for Art, You need to revaluate your gaming genres, just because it doesnt look good or intrest you at first, doesnt mean you cant play it and like it.
Arkham series has the best fighting system of all time, AC4 feels like 80's joystick system compared to the fluent and accurate system that Batman has, which makes the game really enjoyable. >:D

Well said Stiku! +1  :-X for your persuasion powers ;)

Btw, these new batman suits remind of of Gotham City Impostors.  :-()

Art Blade

not so easy for me, I'm at the same time playing with a game pad only. Quite a bit of beating up guys and of course, a boss fight at the end of the first mission.. a crocodile the shape of a man and the size of a tree. GNGNGngngngn... but I'm not giving up easily  :-D

Binnatics

Very good, keep up the good spirit. That first mission is more like a tutorial. Once you beat the Croc, you'll be dropped off somewhere in Gotham City. A massive open world city (not as huge as GTA, but definitely as dense) full of stuff you can explore on your own time, full of small and big groups of enemies where you can practice the skills.
I have some advice; try, from the first start, to direct your character with single button pushes only. Then, wait for the attack or action to complete, and (re-)act against the next enemy. That is the best way of fighting.
When I first started playing Batman I started mashing the different buttons just to make sure I didn't miss a punch, but it's better to learn to see what's happening and choose wisely between the different options you have. And believe me, once you move along in the game, there will be at least 10 different ways of acting against an enemy. If you keep going flawless, without getting a single beating in between your actions and without ever missing a punch, you can build up your combo multiplier endlessly. Variety is something you'll learn along the way, which will help you get additional points once you discover the challenge modes. But that's for later, first learn to love Gotham City :)

I was pleasantly surprised that Gotham City is in fact the city we know as Arkham city (part of Gotham that was locked down due to a huge prison break out of Arkham Asylum) plus an additional part of Gotham City, with an enormous bridge in between. So in fact you could say this open world environment is double the size of Arkham city, which was already quite big, considered the amount of stuff you could do all around town ^-^ :-X
What I haven't seen so far are the riddles. Something extremely entertaining as a side quest kind of thing, solving riddles for this freak called the riddler. I did see some button-like things on rooftops that indicate such challenges, but haven't been introduced to any yet. I really hope for such entertainment, besides the not so amusing "search and destroy the vigilance devices" (or whatever these computer-like things are called).

Art Blade

so far, the challenges are the most fun. I have been practicing for hours to get the hang of it. Both the game (as in, "everything in it") and the combat system combined with a game controller is completely new to me. However, Stiku has been helping me ( +1 :-X ) with my countless questions :)

[smg id=7221 type=preview align=center caption="challenges 001"]

Stiku

Made a video with a gamepad onscreen so art would know what im doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-c4x6OaWI

Art Blade

Art Blade

I like beating up guys in those challenges the most. Looks great with "detective vision" on, x-ray type of view  :-D
[smg id=7226 type=preview align=center caption="challenges 002"]

Art Blade

finally! I had been trying to get more than 10k, then more than 20k and it took ages until today I when I was finally able to hit the 40k mark (3x gold award). YAAAY! :)
[smg id=7227 type=preview align=center caption="challenge: intensive training"]

And just one more.. also a first time, they keep coming now :)
[smg id=7228 type=preview align=center caption="challenge: 25 to life"]

Binnatics

Nice scores Art! You get a hang if it :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳