Take the Beach and Blinding the Dragon

Started by Roaven, August 12, 2009, 10:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roaven

Parts of two missions, one front line, one spec ops, demonstrated on the Xbox 360. Looks damn good to be on the xbox in my opinion.

Take the Beach Pt. 1
Take the Beach Pt. 2

Blinding the Dragon Pt. 1
Blinding the Dragon Pt. 2

PZ

This is going to be an impressive game - can't wait to see it in person  :-X

JRD

Outstanding Roaven...
Thanks a lot for those links.  :-X :-X

These are truly in game footage, real gameplay.... and man, this game looks amazing  8)

The landscape is absolutely incredible... maybe because its been played on CM's studios with a tuned console or PC  ;)

It also answer some questions...
- you issue orders to your men via a friendly interface, drastically different from what we have on A2.
- voice acting sounds natural, not words sewed one after the other... they speak, whisper and shout depending on the surrounding environment... excellent attention to detail
- if a man under your command dies, you keep going (take the beach video pt 2)
- AI behavior is clever, they move to safe positions and you don't have to hold them by the hands
- dynamics of an assault mission is also drastically different from a stealth mission.... That's what we were hoping, of course, but it doesn't mean that it is what devs could be delivering
- clean HUD... adds a lot to immersion
- PC missions editor available and "lots of DLC for consoles and PCs"
- Hardcore mode has no saves or checkpoints at all... lower difficulty levels does.

All I can say is...

OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!OhBoy!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Quote from: JRD on August 12, 2009, 12:39:01 PM
... PC missions editor available and "lots of DLC for consoles and PCs"

Very exciting news about the editor - in terms of DLC, is there also going to be some kind of user editor that can generate content for the consoles, or is that DLC purchase only?

Roaven

It is definitely on console, which impressed me the most. Xbox no less, as shown by the achievements later in Take the Beach. I did kind of wish the person playing Blinding the Dragon used thermal scope a bit more, as I surely will, but they are good videos nonetheless. Command system looks easy to use and effective. Looking forward to this game.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on August 12, 2009, 12:51:35 PM
Very exciting news about the editor - in terms of DLC, is there also going to be some kind of user editor that can generate content for the consoles, or is that DLC purchase only?

I picked that out from the guy speaking while playing the spec ops mission, close to the end I guess.
Not sure if PCs can create content for consoles and vice versa though... that would be revolutionary.

OWG would have an army... that mostly fools around, but an army  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

this is definitely interesting, looks natural, sound is natural, they modelled speed of sound even, 24hr day/night circle real time, real weapon reloading animation, 4 player coop, tactics your AI fellow crewmen perform was taken from real USMC manual, and and and. WOW  :-X MUST HAVE  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

I noticed that by clicking and holding one button you get a circular menu with four options: Rules of Engagement (ROE); Spread; Medic and Formation.
Move the mouse and choose one, say, Formation... you get four more options: Wedge; Line; Vee; Column.
Choose ROE and you get: Fire at will; Fire on my lead; Hold Fire; Return fire.
This way, commands are far more intuitive and you can command your men in a fast way without taking your eyes off the action.

These must be the guys from CM working with dissidents from BIS in an Operation Flashpoint sequel.
Some other guys probably remained at BIS and are sticking to the old Operation Flashpoint style, now dressed as ArmA!

gvse

Indeed, this game is a must have. I like the fact that when they are in the stealth mode soldiers whisper instead of shouting (as they do in A2). What I like less though is the way the gun is held when walking, the swaying is so regular it looks as if it's in the hands of a robot (A2 got it better). Also I read somewhere that you have to stop to issue orders since the order keys are bound to movement keys so this aspect can get tricky in the heat of the battle. On the whole though the game looks very impressive!

JRD

They are clearly learning from OFP1 and Arma 1 mistakes.
gvse, you are right... A2 lets you issue orders while moving and head bob adjustments are a fine touch in A2 too.  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳