Post your favorite mod experience...

Started by PZ, November 13, 2009, 10:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

Eee-yewwww... :o

The aircon in my car conked out, I have to have it retro-fitted as the gas it was using is now illegal, and it's gonna cost me a pretty penny to fix (and I really need it at the present time). All this means that I can't afford to blow any dough on new games for a bit, so I won't be able to join you guys in FO3 land for the forseeable future. Especially with Xmas coming on, gotta watch the bucks :D

I'll just have to be content to read about your exploits here. Have fun for me!

Damn, damn, damn... >:(

PZ

Sorry to hear that fragger - best of luck with your car!  :-X

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on November 23, 2009, 03:15:40 PM
[smg id=1694 align=center width=400]

I just love the way that the mods have changed the appearance of the ugly original PIPBoy  :-X

Ricamundo

There is a perk that allows you to see all the locations on the map, even if you haven't discovered them. I think it's alled "Explorer". Mind tho that DC will be uber crowded with various symbols. :o
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

fragger

Quote from: PZ on November 23, 2009, 10:42:32 PM
Sorry to hear that fragger - best of luck with your car!  :-X

:) Thanks PZ. I'd prevail upon one of my relatives to make me a Christmas present of FO3, but we all decided to keep the gifts modest this year, and as PC game prices are extortionate here, I wouldn't want anyone to spend that sort of dough on me - then I'd feel obligated to do the same! ;D

But I've still got FC2 and some other good games to play with. I really shouldn't be complaining at all - I've got a PC to play games on, a good job, a car, a motorcycle, a wonderful woman, my health, and a lovely house in a sweet corner of the world. All of which is a lot more than a great many people in the world have.

Just another day in paradise, really.

Ricamundo

A great atitude to have frag. :-X On an upside about FO3 is that if and when you DO get around to buying it, it'll more than likely be cheaper.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

...or sold out.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ricamundo,
   the perk I know, it only allows you to see the stuff you can see on my map (I already have discovered all of the locations. You can also cheat "TMM" which will toggle all map markers -- careful though, it's easy to toggle them all on, but toggle off means ALL off (even Megaton). No, I was referring to sewer exits that look like a huge cut-off pipe with a fence inside, usually they're close to the water. You can't map those, unfortunately, unless someone went through the effort of manually creating map markers for them.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Art Blade on November 24, 2009, 11:42:13 AM
...or sold out.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ricamundo,
   the perk I know, it only allows you to see the stuff you can see on my map (I already have discovered all of the locations. You can also cheat "TMM" which will toggle all map markers -- careful though, it's easy to toggle them all on, but toggle off means ALL off (even Megaton). No, I was referring to sewer exits that look like a huge cut-off pipe with a fence inside, usually they're close to the water. You can't map those, unfortunately, unless someone went through the effort of manually creating map markers for them.

Oh i see. You mean they dont get marked? Damn, i found a couple yesterday in DC, but i decided to leave them for later as i wanted to complete a mish. I hope i can find them again. I know there's one near Willem's Wharf.

Art Blade

you can only see those sewer entrances once you've been there, but you can only see them on the local map. That means, only if you are near them, anyway, but you can't see DC's sewer entrances when you are in Megaton, because the world map doesn't mark them and the local map only extends a couple of yards. So, the main downside is, there is no way to fast-travel to them.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on November 25, 2009, 11:09:19 AM
you can only see those sewer entrances once you've been there, but you can only see them on the local map. That means, only if you are near them, anyway, but you can't see DC's sewer entrances when you are in Megaton, because the world map doesn't mark them and the local map only extends a couple of yards. So, the main downside is, there is no way to fast-travel to them.

Do you suppose that someone might have made a mod to mark new icons on the map?

Should be do-able, I'd think

Art Blade

I hope so, and I think so, but I haven't come across such a modded map.

Ricamundo

An interesting thing happened today. charon and i were exploring Old Olny, on a Nuka Cola Quantum hunt, where Dogmeat appeared, still showing as an enemy. >:( Again, we couldnt kill him, so we hi-tailed it outta there. ;)

I picked up a mish to let the Ghouls take over Tenpenny Tower. I was going to let the residents just stay there, but they get on my tits after a while, so i found a way to get the Ghouls in there, without having to kill any of the residents myself.

>>>>SPOILER>>>

I let in the Ghoul who had a pack of ferals in to do all the killin. 8) I then killed the ferals, and looted all the goodies from the safes, and all the hardware from the armory, with small hits on Karma, buut nobody's perfect. ;D

I built my first weapon on a workbench today. The Railway Rifle. I have to say, it took ages to find a pressure cooker, which was the last of 4 or 5 parts you need, plus the scematic, of course. I haven't actually tried it yet, but a 68 damage rating is a bit of a let down.

Art Blade

you can collect up to three schematics of the same gun, each improving the gun.

PZ

Good story Ricamundo - goes to show you that the ability to experiment in FO3 is quite similar to what you get in FC2.  In fact, I think there is even more flexibility in FO3.  I recall when in a prior game play that Lucas Simms had been killed by that greasy looking guy, and you remarking that it was a shame because I missed out on a good quest line.  The death of such an important character would greatly change the game - sort of what might happen if Prosper Kouassi died in FC2 - lots different outcome possible.

Ricamundo

Quote from: Art Blade on December 01, 2009, 12:07:44 PM
you can collect up to three schematics of the same gun, each improving the gun.

Thx for the tip, Art. I didnt know that. :-X I've always liked megaton for a base of operations, so i've never had the courage to blow it up,even tho your reward from that shady character is a penthouse suite @ Tenpenny Towers. On my 2nd playthru, i disarmed the Megaton bomb as soon as i had enough Ex pts. I think it was Science, and 25 pts is all you needed, then Simms gave me the key to the Megaton house. 8)

Doing that, the shady character never even appeared this time. I have been getting a pile of caps, so i splurged a bit and bought the Pre-war deco pkge for the Meg house from Moira. it's actually pretty nice, plus there were several packs of different foods left on a shelf, including lots of Sugar Bombs, so i'll sell those to the Ghoul in Northwest Seneca Metro, who is making some superchem with it.

I have to recommend the Megaton Expansion mod, which gives you George, a Ghoul gun dealer who runs the Phoenix Arms, just outside the Megaton main gate. He usually has more caps to buy your junk than anyone else. A bonus is he is a gun smith, so there's quite a few modded weapons you can buy. You can also bring him certain weapons from the field that he will upgrade, and give you to use, if you wish. There's an Apothecary around the corner from George, where you can sell booze, Nuka, and several different kinds of critter meat, for caps, although they dont seem to sell any of their concoctions, they never run out of caps. 8) You also get a house, so i have 3 houses in that immediate
area.

SPOILER>>>

Has anyone done the mish where you deliver a letter from the girl in Megaton(forget her name) to her family in Arefu? I took it and travelled there, spoke to the old guy who's kind of the leader, met the residents, who were living in

fear of "The Family". A bunch of seemingly peaceful mercs who i found liv

ing in a Metro station nearby. The girl's brother was hanging out with them, but was being kept a virtual prisoner. perhaps i should have left this one till my Speech skill was higher, because when i convinced him that his Sister was alive and wanted to get him back, he decided to leave the Family, but when i retuned to Arefu, they were hostile to me. This has happened both playthru's. Also i cant get the girl in Megaton to acnowledge that I found her Brother and delivered her letter, she only says Hi to me now. Weird.

PZ

Thanks for the tips Ricamundo - helpful to make the decision on the expansion pack.

I've never completed the mission you mentioned - I believe her character name is Lucy West.

Ricamundo

Quote from: PZ on December 03, 2009, 09:16:21 AM
Thanks for the tips Ricamundo - helpful to make the decision on the expansion pack.

I've never completed the mission you mentioned - I believe her character name is Lucy West.

That's the girl. One other thing about tht Megaton Expansion, is that ever since, i installed it, or perhaps one of the other Meg mods, there's always a dangerous critter outside the main gate. That poor Robot greeter outside Wal-aton is always getting destroyed by a radscorpion or something. ;D

I decided to re try the Greenworld mod today, so we'll see if it makes the stutter noticeably worse or not.

Art Blade

I've played that mish. I spoke to the clan leader of those wannabe-vampires, living in one of the underground stations, and convinced him to let the boy go, and to leave the folks living on the bridge in peace in exchange for blood packs. Everyone was happy with that solution.

PZ

I'm trying something new - I have dozens of mods installed, and while the machine is working fine most of the time, I do get crashes on occasion.  I've uninstalled FO3 and have done a fresh install with the main mods such as green world and fellout, plus a few companion mods, sprinting, lighting, etc.  Using FO3Edit, I plan to make the mods w@&k together as a unit.  Evidently FO3Edit is capable of detecting all kinds of conflicts, and even allows you to create your own patch to alleviate those issues.  Then once that part is complete, I should have a stable game which I can then back up just in case something goes wrong.  You can just copy the backed up data over the corrupt data without having to do an install/uninstall.

Art Blade

The only thing I can think of are the various config files. I keep copies and modified versions of them in a different folder. And I make backups of my savegames, occasionally. The game itself shouldn't break, I think it's either a corrupted savegame or a bugged config causing troubles. Apart from the mod files, of course.

PZ

I guess that I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to  making the software w@&k correctly - no doubt a legacy from my old programming days.  Clean and tidy!  ;)

Art Blade

I can see a (fictitious) quote by PZ:

Quote"Yes, and if a program is even the slightest bit recalcitrant, I burn the PC case down to the ground."

;D

PZ

lol, my wife would say that it is exactly the type of statement I would utter  ;D

Art Blade

lol - don't we know each other quite well here at OWG  :)

PZ

We sure do - and in fact, we can often predict which person will be quick to answer based on the game we are discussing - a fine kind of brotherhood  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳