Gibbed modding tools

Started by PZ, August 29, 2011, 03:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Thank you, old bean  :-()

I also found Gibbed's home where he has mod tools for quite a few games (including hacking GTA-IV) - bears further investigation!

Wouldn't it be great to be able to fix the tape glitch!

Art Blade

Welcome, sport  :-() Oop, checking your links nearly made me forget to actually add a kudos to your avatar -- done  ^+-+

The tapes will require a lot of time I reckon, something I don't have right now. However, eventually we'll give it a try  :-()

I checked your links and noticed most of the stuff is related to map editing (modding for the editor). One guy posted a little mod with some weapon characteristics altered, but I'm going to find out myself.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheStranger

Quote from: Art Blade on August 29, 2011, 03:08:35 PM
Wow, got to check that out, nice find, PZ!  :) *Bing* slap on the back, old chap  :-()

By the way, we might be able to fix the Jackal Tape glitch. What happens is the same tape keeps playing over and over again, no matter how many tapes we find. That could mean a pointer is not set properly. Pointer, as in there is one large sound file and each tape we find is defined by a start and end point (timeline) on that sound file. When one of those start/end timers is off, the program might fall back to the last known correct pointer. If we point the program to the right spot on that file..

Here is what I found, see the start/end positions. Requires editing, creating a new mod, start the game, play a tape and.. wash, rinse and repeat..  ::) ;)

Spoiler
<JackalTapes>
<Tape title="A1JT00"  description="A1JT00_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebecb" stopSoundID="0x004ebece" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT01"  description="A1JT01_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebed3" stopSoundID="0x004ebed2" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT02"  description="A1JT02_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebed4" stopSoundID="0x004ebed5" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT03"  description="A1JT03_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebed7" stopSoundID="0x004ebed9" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT04"  description="A1JT04_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebeda" stopSoundID="0x004ebedb" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT05"  description="A1JT05_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebedf" stopSoundID="0x004ebede" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT06"  description="A1JT06_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee0" stopSoundID="0x004ebee1" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT07"  description="A1JT07_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee3" stopSoundID="0x004ebee4" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A1JT08"  description="A1JT08_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee6" stopSoundID="0x004ebee7" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT09"  description="A2JT09_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee9" stopSoundID="0x004ebeea" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT10"  description="A2JT10_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebeee" stopSoundID="0x004ebeed" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT11"  description="A2JT11_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef1" stopSoundID="0x004ebeef" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT12"  description="A2JT12_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef4" stopSoundID="0x004ebef3" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT13"  description="A2JT13_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef5" stopSoundID="0x004ebef6" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT14"  description="A2JT14_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef8" stopSoundID="0x004ebef9" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT15"  description="A2JT15_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebefb" stopSoundID="0x004ebefc" soundType="20" />
<Tape title="A2JT16"  description="A2JT16_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebefe" stopSoundID="0x004ebeff" soundType="20" />
</JackalTapes>

Mhm I found that too, as I mentioned, but I don't know what to do? As I said if we could unpack an old FC version and compare it to that...

It's Jackal Tape 09 which repeats (...kid that age shouldn't look like that...)

Art Blade

Ah that is already a leap ahead, cheers :)

What to do is, theoretically, simple:

Tape title... "A2JT09_DESC" should be the culprit. Now we see:

startSoundID="0x004ebee9" and stopSoundID="0x004ebeea"

so that tape is HEX (last two digits) E9 to EA which means it's just one unit long (hex count goes 0-9 and continues A-F, hence from 9 to A is 1) which seems a bit short. But most tapes are just one unit long, judging by those numbers.

By comparison, most tapes go one unit forward, like from A to B, C to D, but for some reason unknown, there are tapes that seem to go backwards, Like from D to C and B to A.. I don't understand that. However, basically all we need to do is change start and/or end positions of a tape, maybe we can get one single tape to play the content of all tapes if we use the first and last tape's start and end position.. You see, basically simple but practically a lot of possibilities.  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Stranger, I found an error in your code:

<Attribute type="range" value="1,5" /> the value should be 1.5 (1 point 5) (yeah, damn separators ;) )

And for some reason I can't make changes to my gamemodesconfig.xml without the build.batch to crash. I can change any file but it won't accept that particular file, even if I extract it from the original patch and leave it unchanged in my patch folder. That file causes a crash god knows why. I'll try a reboot, sometimes.. you never know. ????

Tags:
🡱 🡳