How about a Far Cry 2 ATP in ARMA2

Started by PZ, August 31, 2009, 09:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Just playing around in Porto using the A2 editor, I created an assault truck and a couple of mercs.  The player (me) is a gansta boss with a gold AK and the two mercs are under my command; one is African and the other is a terrorist.  The mission is to sweep the town of all undesirables.  I am the driver, and the African is the gunner while my terrorist sidekick rides shotgun.

You'd hardly think this game was A2!
[smg id=1352]
[smg id=1343]
[smg id=1348]
[smg id=1344]
[smg id=1351]
[smg id=1346]
[smg id=1345]
[smg id=1347]
[smg id=1350]
[smg id=1349]

JRD

I knew this was gona come soon or later  :-X :-X

Great one PZ... keep them coming... I'm playing a few user created (gvse's) missions these days!!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Just having a bit of fun - recorded a movie and am uploading it to YouTube as I write.  Expanding on this theme, I'll add a couple more ATs manned with mercs under my command, and do something similar with a few ATPs on the opposition patrolling the town.  Then have a few snipers on roof tops, machine gunners and other angry types roaming the village, and of course, car bombs.  The editor is actually what is most fun for me - designing just for kicks.

Yeah, I like gvse's missions too - maybe he'll do some more  ;)  in the mean time, have you seen the explosion in the number of user-created A2 missions?  There are now almost too many to play!

EDIT: here's a 3 minute video
I recorded the movie in 3rd person view to show the appearance of the ATP and the mercs riding.  One of the things I like about A2 is that you can easily switch between 1st and 3rd perspective to suit the current playing conditions.

Click here to watch full size on YouTube

[smg id=1353 type=av]

spaceboy

that's remarkable PZ that you could make it look so much like FC2 using the editor.  Definitely add more mercs next time - I'd like to see them all coming out of the alleys running at you like the infected in 16 weeks later lol

I know we've said this before but I can only imagine if the FC2 editor allowed you to drop in AI, and allow co-op play...  Also great that with A2 you can drop in friendly AI.  Really cool.  I hope OFP2DR will have something like this for the PS3 version.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

The fun part is that it only took an hour or so of playing around in the editor, and being the cheater that I am, I actually scripted my mercs and even my vehicle as being indestructible  :-[

In my first version I had about 40 mercs rushing at me, and even though I was basically in God mode, the RPGs, grenade launchers, etc had me flying around so much I couldn't get a descent movie.  Yeah, I plan to add more and maybe actually create a real mission complete with briefing and specific tasks to accomplish.  I'll probably use the large island of Sahrani so I can establish many opposition merc bases and have a home base of my own complete with aircraft and boats.  I'd like to use the Little Birds (click here for a pic) mod to give my mercs the tiny helicopters to conduct raids with, and a realistic Land Rover version of an assault truck is being worked on (click here for a pic).  I'd also like to use a RHIB boat for covert missions into enemy merc territory.

I like this sandbox approach to playing actually more than doing actual missions - kind of reminds me when as a child I'd be doodling military scenarios while in grade school!

Art Blade

I do understand you, PZ :) It's nice to see you're having a good time playing with the editor, having fun is the most important part of a game. Who needs (bugged) missions when there is a sandbox :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Nice vid PZ... I see you are really making your own Far Cry out of that editor tool!

When I was playing "Manhattan" I lost my Humvee and managed to find two enemy UAZs I had previously relieved from their old owners  ;)

Had my sniper with me, and my corpsmand and heavy gunner manning the other UAZ. Mine with a GL theirs with a MG... man, what a blast to ride through the country in a convoy (of two  :P ) like that... too bad they suck at driving!!
I did order my other team mates to a specific location and follow them in my vehicle so they don't get lost and go "where are you" all the time!

On a sidenote, I've been checking the ArmA 2 Articles section and there's only 3 gvse's missions and 3 missions by others there... maybe an update to that page?  ;)

PZ

Thanks JRD, Yeah, it is a shame that the AI sucks at driving so I usually drive myself and have my mercs manning the guns.  I haven't driven through the countryside like you have yet - sounds like a blast  I'd like to give myself a convoy of assault trucks that know what to do when trouble starts - that's my next project in ArmaCry 2.  The main gunner knows what to do and is much better at hitting targets than I am, and I've scripted the merc riding shotgun to hop out when trouble starts and do the guerrilla thing.

Yes, the missions page likely needs an update as does the mods page.  However, there are so many mods nowadays, that it is becoming difficult to get them all in!

RedRaven

with the AI being a terrible driver, and not the best gunner in the world it has to be said, i often kick all the crew out of which ever tank i`m using and do it all myself, just using scroll wheel to change position from driver to gunner. usually works out ok.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

Someone created a driver AI mod which was intended to fix some of the problems - have you used that?

Driving AI

Art Blade

That "mod" - you're not referring to a patch, are you?  :)

Quote from: Art Blade on June 24, 2009, 11:18:24 PM
currently patch 1.02 online
- Improved AI driving skills
- Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on September 01, 2009, 01:09:04 PM
Yes, the missions page likely needs an update as does the mods page.  However, there are so many mods nowadays, that it is becoming difficult to get them all in!

I figured it'd turn into something demanding... don't bother about updating it as new missions comes out... too much trouble... what I meant is: maybe a few "best of" missions and a "more" link to all other missions you are already updating (link to download session, maybe?)

... now that I'm typing, I see we might need a little, really little, re-arrangement to make it w@&k in a not-too-troublesome way  ::)

PZ

Good idea!  :-X

EDIT: I added JRD's Badlands mission thread to the Mission Index article, which I renamed to Mission Tips Index to make the title a bit more descriptive.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on September 01, 2009, 02:12:03 PM
That "mod" - you're not referring to a patch, are you?  :)

No, one of the guys at armaholic developed a Driving AI mod - the link was in my prior post if you'd like to take a look - it reads as if the AI will drive better.  As it stands, even with the patch they still drive worse than my grandmother.  ;D

Art Blade

give her a tank and tell her she's driving like a real Marine ;D

PZ

After JRD's comment I did a quick review of the mods, scripts, and missions threads (you're correct JRD) - we need to update the single resource article - did that this morning and it was not difficult to manage.

Also changed the ARMA2 Quick links block to include the links to the articles:

Art Blade

PZ

JRD

Wow... great w@&k PZ... what an admin we have  ;)

The page now is a great resource for A2 fans... soon we'll be one of the greatest sites for A2 as we are the greatest for FC2...  :-X :-X :-X

Art Blade

great in style and organisation  :-X Any other place, you never find anything lol

PZ

Thanks guys - couldn't do it without your excellent recommendations though - it's great to have many different eyes looking to improve how we do things!  :-X

RedRaven

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳