Dead Island

Started by mmosu, February 21, 2011, 05:45:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

This is probably one of the most dramatic and disturbing game trailers I'ver ever seen:

YouTube - خودتان را نمایش دهید.

If the final game is anywhere this intense this may be the next big survival-horror game to watch for.

PS - Art, when this video comes up banned, here is the IGN link:  http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/16/dead-island-announcement-trailer?objectid=955540  :-()

PZ

Indeed - looks like the latest generation animation technology  :-X

Reminds me of the Night of the Living Dead style movies.

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

Well there ya go  :-D
It was on the front page of IGN yesterday, so it caught my attention.  I read the write up, apparently develpment started back in 2008 but it got shelved for a bit because they didn't have a production company on board to do the marketing.  The author said this was the first time he ever saw the entire office watch a trailer in hushed silence.  The animation is spectacular, there were a few times (especially in the "home movie" clips toward the end) that it becomes hard to tell you aren't looking at real people.  Some of the screenies posted look incredible too.  Obviously the game takes place on a lush, tropical resort island, so some of the shots look like Resident Evil meets FC1, but better!  I'll be watching for this one  :-X  I couldn't find a release date - Fiach?

Fiach

No mate, all I can find is TBA.

On saying that, Deep Silver aren't noted for AAA titles, but yeah the animation is awesome, hopefully this will be a good 'un.

It reminded me a little of Heavy Rain for some reason, dunno why, maybe the gfx quality, but it looks like a game to look forward to.

Art Blade

The vid played, not censored -- nice of you to think of an alternative for me :)

Cool vid, the idea of playing it backwards is simple but very effective :) :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Superb albeit nasty bit of CG animation :-X

Fiach

I just read an article about this in 360 Gamer, here are the more important points.

The trailer has nothing to do with the storyline, its just a very well made CGI movie :(

The game will be a FPS action game, where you will mostly use blunt melee weapons (FPS melee has never really tickled my fancy, so kinda disappointed by this).

The game will have 4 (I think) characters that you can play as, each has different styles and background eg. One is a faded rapper star, another a surfer dude etc. Sounds kinda like Left4Dead, I dont know if thats good or bad as I havent played it.

The Island is pretty huge, if you see a building in the distance, you can more than likely travel to it and enter it, The island will mostly be locked off initially, but will open up further as the game progresses.

The zombies wont be all shufflers and shamblers, there will be slow ones, fast ones and inbetweeney ones, plus suicide ones that explode when they come into proximity with your character.

Fiach : Reading about games, so you dont have to can too :)

mmosu

FPS melee can be cool if it's done like it was in Killzone 3 - brutal with a side of shock value.  The horror theme definitely opens the door for lots of red stuff all over the screen, so I'll be expecting that.  It would be cool if the attacks were all context sensitive, happening differently based on not only your orientation to an enemy, but also what's in your hands, etc.  I had also read before something about skill trees for the different characters that can be developed - anything about that on your end Fiach?

Art Blade

Quote from: Fiach on May 01, 2011, 03:59:39 AMones that explode when they come into proximity with your character.

That could pretty much be a description of an ex-boss of a friend of mine :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

^+-+

Sounds like an ex-boss of mine too, only it was more of a toxic reaction than an explosion ;D

Art Blade

Fiach

This is a weird one, the Collectors Edition of this game includes a graphic novel (comic), that is written in german only.

I find this a bit weird, when you consider the difficulty Art has with censorship in games, I'm wondering if DI will even be released in germany, what do you think Art?

Dead Island: Treasure, Red and Limited Collector's Edition [Game Editions]

Art Blade

I don't know about the game. Judging from "PEGI 18" and "Bloodbath" and the gore which seems to be key to the gaming experience, it might very well be censored. However, there are "German" (dubbed) games without any censorship involved, those are produced for our neighbours in Austria who do speak the same language. We may import games from them  ;)

Fiach

Yeah, I was just thinking that such a blood themed game may not be the biggest seller in germany, yet they only released the zombie comic included with the game, in the german language, doesnt seem like the most wise business decision ever made :)

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on July 11, 2011, 09:49:44 AM
I don't know about the game. Judging from "PEGI 18" and "Bloodbath" and the gore which seems to be key to the gaming experience, it might very well be censored. However, there are "German" (dubbed) games without any censorship involved, those are produced for our neighbours in Austria who do speak the same language. We may import games from them  ;)

That's ironic, considering where you-know-who came from :-()

Binnatics

Just finished reading the topic. It kind of seems weird to me that the trailer is so brutal, hoorifying, while according tho Fiach's discoveries the gameplay should be more L4D-like. I think the major and key-experience in zombiegames like these is humor. The gore and blood is so intense that it can only be ment to trigger the laughing muscles. But the trailer gives you the idea of intence fear and drama.
Wonder what this game would be like in the end...
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mmosu

Indeed, the first trailer was gripping and had me very interested, but the more I hear, the more I'm afraid this one is just going to end up lost in the pack of the genre rather than be the iconically tense and disturbing experience that trailer seemed to promise.

Fiach

I have this for a week, due to a mate going on holidays, he insists I'll like it..... I do!

I was pretty dubious about this game, Deep Silver and Techland are not exactly notorious for quality control :)

Anyway, I have played as far as chapter two and I'm quite enjoying it.

You can choose between 4(?) characters, all with mildly different stats. You wake up on an island and you know the rest of the background. You hear a guy advise you on where to go, to escape your first zombie encounter, this leads to a shack with a bunch of other survivors. These survivors give you quests to progress the game, also as you travel about the island you will meet other people that need your help, eg. You check out a shack, the lady asks you to check her husband as he is beleeding, he tells you he got bitten and wants you to drive his wife to a safe place where his brother is waiting.

Combat is pretty much fun, weapons break pretty easily, but you can carry a bunch in your INV. You can also mod these weapons at crafting benches like in Fallout 3. Weapons so far consist of lead pipes, wrenches, oars etc. A nice feature is that you can pick up a gas cylinder, throw it at a zombie, then throw your weapon at the gas cylinder to detonate it.

Graphics are nice, its nice, bright and sunny, its kinda like the TV series Lost.

There are a variety of enemies so far, normal shambling zombies, fast running zombies, very powerful thug zombies.

Save is checkpoint, if you die you will rez either where you died or nearby, it will cost you 10% of your current cash.

You drink cans of cola etc to replenish health.

As you level up, you gain skillpoints that you can assign to 3 different skill trees.

All in all, its like a more fun version of Resident Evil, its pretty open world and looks good :)

spaceboy

good to hear, I'm still quite interested in this, but unsure if I'll get it, rent it, or put it off for awhile.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Binnatics

Sounds much like Dead Rising 2.. modding weapons at crafting benches, combining things you find, helping people along the way... I wonder what happened to the scary introduction movie ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

The devs always said the movie had nothing to do with the game, which begs the question why bother? When I heard this, I was really dubious about the game, On saying that, I havent played DR2, so I cant compare them, but I do like the sunny open world of DI, horses for courses I guess :)

Fiach

Quote from: spaceboy on September 12, 2011, 07:21:07 AM
good to hear, I'm still quite interested in this, but unsure if I'll get it, rent it, or put it off for awhile.

I got it free-ish mate, so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving, on saying that, I reckon I will wind up buying it after my mate comes back from his break.

BTW, it is very stronly built for Co-Op if thats of interest to anyone, I dont play it myself, so I cant really comment on it personally.

spaceboy

yeah, the co-op and open world is what interests me.  I never looked twice at other zombie games, so that's why I'm tentative.  I hear it later gets into sewer sections in the 2nd act, which interests me much less than sunny open world killin'  ;D
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Tags:
🡱 🡳