Suffering from a FC2 Addiction and you guys aint helping ......

Started by Stryker7, October 16, 2011, 05:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker7

Damn you, damn you all to hell ........

I am trying to get over my FC2 addiction, I come back by here after a prolonged abscence, and you guys just offer me a syringe full of a new and improved FC2. How dare you do this to me. Why ? Why ...... ?  :'(

>:D  for those of you that dont know me and cant tell. It's just an attempt at humor,

Anyway, and seriously, you guys are GREAT. I really want to express my gratitude to all of you for making this game even better.

My only real problem with FC2, has always been that it could not be modded. As a serious fan of the original Farcry, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, the IL2 Sturmovik (aka IL2 1946) flight simulator. I am a huge fan of what the Fan based communities have accomplished with mods, that have taken great games, and made them even better.  I am truly in awe of this new development with FC2, that is already one of the greatest FPS ever, and now moddable. This is Uber_Cool.  8)

This opens up a whole new gaming experience in the world of FarCry2.

For this I am truly greatful.

While I am not a programmer, I have messed with various types of scripting while modding several of the aforementioned games. XML and LUA files mainly, and I just happen to be semi-retired, I will offer assistance and help as much as I possibly can.

Once again, thanks. :-X

PZ

Well, any gamer that likes modding games, and is a fan of FC2 will have a blast with gibbed's modding tools and what they can do for added fun in the game.  I can truly say that even slight mods make the game play way different than vanilla, and ever so much more fun because you can tailor it to your liking.

Welcome back, and looking forward to your impressions of the new and improved FC2  :-X

Stryker7

I am a fan of modded games because, NO ONE understands what other gamers would like to see improved and modded, than TRUE fans of a game.

By way of example, I played the original IL2 demo when it first came out. I bought the game as soon as it was released and the various iterations offered by the developer/ maker of IL2. Thay have all been great in and of themselves, BUT ......

What the community mods have done, is by far more impressive. Not for lack of effort by the developer, but because the fans understand what needs fixing, and if able to, will do so.

And it has the added benefit. of inspiring the original developer/ maker, to continue developing the series, and incorporating the commuity mods into the new releases. As evidenced by IL2 1946 and its siblings and spinofffs. IL2 is just as playable, if not more so, than when it was originally released, and the Fans should be credited with making it one of the greatest flight sims available today.

This is true with several other games like  S.T.A.L.K.E.R. . Great to start with, but GREATER because the fans could and did mod it.

Like the old expression concerning cooking. "Take a recipie and make it your own."  Yeah, you can use a recipie as it was handed down, but take it, and make it your own by adding a little more of this, not quite as much of that , and then it is something new. Theres is nothing wrong with the old recipie, you still like the old recipie, but now you have the old one and your improved version.

PZ

Quote from: Stryker7 on October 16, 2011, 06:19:55 PM
Like the old expression concerning cooking. "Take a recipie and make it your own."  Yeah, you can use a recipie as it was handed down, but take it, and make it your own by adding a little more of this, not quite as much of that , and then it is something new. Theres is nothing wrong with the old recipie, you still like the old recipie, but now you have the old one and your improved version.
Precisely - there is nothing like tailoring a recipe to your own tastes - as you wrote, the same is true about the ability to mod a game.  :-X

Binnatics

Hi Stryker, nice knowing you ^-^

I'm still kind of new here I see :anigrin:
Joining OWG made me look differently to the world of gaming again. I have gotten distracted from really enjoying the games I play due to the "achievement fever" GfWL infected me with.
Through OWG I learned about FC2 and must say I love that game. Sharing experiences in that game, and other games I've played, made me able to enjoy gaming again without haste, or pressure, or sleepless nights because of these "damn unfair achievements" that needed to be done.
I've not yet started modding anything in FC2. No idea what I should want to change, except funny ideas; Mercs twice the normal size, only armed with mortars and/or adjusted waterlevels in the maps :-()

What you tell here about modding makes me curious though. You must be a pro in 'enjoying' games like FC2 and the other games you mentioned, using modding just to fine-tune the gaming experience! :-X
I'm very curious what things you'd change.  ;)

"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Stryker7

Quote from: Binnatics on October 17, 2011, 02:35:56 PM
Hi Stryker, nice knowing you ^-^

I'm still kind of new here I see :anigrin:
Joining OWG made me look differently to the world of gaming again. I have gotten distracted from really enjoying the games I play due to the "achievement fever" GfWL infected me with.
Through OWG I learned about FC2 and must say I love that game. Sharing experiences in that game, and other games I've played, made me able to enjoy gaming again without haste, or pressure, or sleepless nights because of these "damn unfair achievements" that needed to be done.
I've not yet started modding anything in FC2. No idea what I should want to change, except funny ideas; Mercs twice the normal size, only armed with mortars and/or adjusted waterlevels in the maps :-()

What you tell here about modding makes me curious though. You must be a pro in 'enjoying' games like FC2 and the other games you mentioned, using modding just to fine-tune the gaming experience! :-X
I'm very curious what things you'd change.  ;)

Nice to meet you too. It is always a good thing to meet good people.

I understand the  "achievement fever" delima. That is why I have one objective, one achievement I am looking for, FUN. If I have fun, then I have recieved " My "achievement. Whether it is the self satisfaction of luring a group of mercs into an IED ambush in FC2, teh adrenelin rush of getting the piss scared out of me by a blood-sucker in the Agroprom Underground in STALKER. (Yeah, act like it doesnt happen to you  :-()   ), or diving in on, and convicing a couple of bandits, that riding my wingmates 6 was a really bad idea in IL2.

The  "achievements" set by the gaming company can sometimes be fun, but not if it distracts from my having fun. Did that statement make sense ? Let me try again, if the achievement that the SW company sets. keeps me from having my fun, then it is no acheivement at all. Oh well, I hope you understand what I meant. 

I found OWG, because I discovered one day, that the games that I loved the most, were the ones where I could more or less, go where I wanted, do the missions I wanted to do, an open/ free play style of game. Open world gamnig. A use of my favorite search engine, led me straight to here.

After I got here, I did not find all of the petty kiddie games, the trash talking (sometimes fun if done in the right spirit ), and the general BS that is found at way too many gaming websites and forums. I did find, a grown up and mature group that share a common goal, enjoying gaming.

I downloaded the tools, and some of the configs available here last night, read some of the post here and elsewhere, but have yet to get started. I just woke up and am having my coffee., so I decided to stop by here to see what was going on. I am going to reboot to windows in a few minutes, and start using the new tools. So no, I havent gotten started, but am about to.

Personally, I just think that FC2 needs a little tweaking to suit my personal taste. Once I have it setup the way I like, I hope to release my mods, and see if anyone wants to download them. I am a stealth player almost exclusively. If I can sneak in, accomplish my mission, without having fired a shot, that is what I call real fun. But see, that is what I consider MY fun factor. Others prefer run and gun, and that is fine. No one enjoys a good explosion more than me, but I use IEDs all the time, because I love seeing the MERCs doing the "WTF" and "Where is he" confusion thing. My favorite is when mercs start talking about "It must be 4 or 5 guys" when it is just little old me. 

But what counts, is what lets each player, have the most fun and enjoyment, is how they should play. Who am I to dictate how someone else should play ? Why should someone else tell me how to play ?

Some of the tweaks I would like to try, degradation of most weapons, especially the dart rifle. Having a dart rifle misfire after less than 10 shots, and then blow up after just a few more shots, has always bothered me.

Up the "Stealth " mode. If I am in a guilley suit, walked and crawled into the area, laying in the tall grass, not moving a muscle, a merc should walk by just a few feet away and not see me. The biggest bug in FC2, is still in my opinion, the "everybody within ten miles knows exactly where I am" bug.  And yeah, I know, there is no real crawling or laying down (prone postition), another big issue with FC2. Leaning out from behind cover to scope the area or take a shot.

I dont know if these sorts of tweaks are even possible. but those things by themselves would make the game A LOT MORE FUN.

Another wish tweak, is having NON-Exploding arrows (bolts) for my cross-bow. I have the DLC weapons and vehicles. I hardly ever drive vehicles, although I do make a lot of use out of boats. Driving around with headlights on, is hardly stealthy. 

I really doubt that these things would even be possible, but who knows. Crocks in the rivers, lions and other carnovars on the grass-lands,

I could go on, but let me take a look and see what might be possible, because I am sure that there is a big difference in what is possible, and what we would like.

Like I said in my original post, "This opens up a whole new gaming experience in the world of FarCry2." That is a statement of hope, but let us see just how much can be done.

PZ

I forgot about the use of IEDs - I think I'll up the number I can carry to 60, like my grenades and Moltovs  >:D

Stryker7

Quote from: PZ on October 17, 2011, 05:53:13 PM
I forgot about the use of IEDs - I think I'll up the number I can carry to 60, like my grenades and Moltovs  >:D

60, really ? I can see an upgrade and I like big explosions, but DAMN. :)   It would certainly take a little fun (challenge) out of one of my favorite missions.

I always enjoyed going up to do the "gun dealer mission" up next to the petrol storage, NW corner of the map. There is a merc post up there, explosives dump and such.

I loved sneaking into the camp, including silently and stealthly taking out guys that would stray out of the camp for a piss, smoke, etc... so that I could get in real close to set it all up. Placing 1 device under the vehicles, and 1 in the shed where the explosives dump is located, and then just north of the camp where the convoy approaches from.setting up an IED and then waiting for the convoy to drive right into my trap. I have managed to destoy the convoy and all but 2 of the mercs with one blast, I even TRY to time it so that I can get that annoying little Datsun patrol vehicle in the blast too. But after the explosion, there is just a little mop up, and then move on to my next victims.

I do "cheat " in that I would save just before starting the infiltratration of the outpost. and if detected restarting from the save point.

That reminds me of one mod I would like to do, make it easier for grenades dropped on the ground next to IEDs will explode when the IED is set off.

BTW, my wife was watching me once when I did this mission. Afterwards she told me I was a sick SOB.  >:D I was so PROUD.

PZ

:cheesy: yeah, 60 - I like to be well supplied, and I really don't care too much about being too realistic  :-()

I have to say however, that I like you method of attacking PetroSahel - will try something like that myself one of these days.  I know that you can mod merc awareness, so there is another bit of fine tuning that can be done to tailor one's experience.

fragger

Hey Stryker7, haven't heard form you for a while! Welcome back :)

Just talking about that convoy mission, that's one of my faves too. I use a similar approach, except I make a roadblock using the two vehicles at the GP parked bumper to bumper across the road, both with IEDs stuck on them and with one or two more on the road leading up. If I have time and can manage it, I'll roll out a barrel or two from the GP and add them to the mix. Then I hightail it up the nearby slope and hide behind the tree with a crossbow or a GL to take out any of the buggers that don't get theirs in the initial explosions >:D

@PZ, if you increase your IED capacity, maybe you should see how many you can stick on one AT. It could end up looking like a porcupine :-()

PZ

@ fragger  :cheesy:

My usual method is to take out all the mercs in PetroSahel by climbing to the top of the three fuel tanks - there are flammables available from each of the tanks.  Once all the mercs are dispatched, it is time to use the crossbow from a proper position to take out the convoy truck.

On an aside, PetroSahel has always been one of my favorite locations because of all of the flammables - if you set them off properly, the entire location goes up like a 4th of July fireworks celebration.

Stryker7

@ fragger 

Thanks. glad to be back.

Quote from: PZ on October 17, 2011, 09:27:49 PM
My usual method is to take out all the mercs in PetroSahel by climbing to the top of the three fuel tanks - there are flammables available from each of the tanks.  Once all the mercs are dispatched, it is time to use the crossbow from a proper position to take out the convoy truck.

On an aside, PetroSahel has always been one of my favorite locations because of all of the flammables - if you set them off properly, the entire location goes up like a 4th of July fireworks celebration.

As far as attacking the PetroSahel itself, I like the high-ground to the south, right behind the glider position. Snipe a couple of the guys, the rest usually run and hide.Then try to start some fires sniping propane tanks and acetylene tanks, that always gets em stirred up again and out of hiding. Then when they start coming after me, start some more fires with molotovs on the hillside, which traps them between me and the fires. Where can they run to ? Toward me ? I usually get em to start the, "where did they go", "must be 4 or 5 of them."

Great fun  >:D

PZ

I've tried that method of attack, and I must admit it is fun as well.  However, my usual approach is from the northwest bus stop, taking the buggy toward the hill east of PetroSahel, and then sniping the merc on the eastern tower.  Then, sneaking to the top of the fuel tanks, it is relatively easy to maintain stealth while torching flammables.  >:D

TheStranger

Hi Stryker! :)

Quote from: Stryker7 on October 17, 2011, 05:09:29 PM
teh adrenelin rush of getting the piss scared out of me by a blood-sucker in the Agroprom Underground in STALKER. (Yeah, act like it doesnt happen to you  :-()   ),

Ah yes, I also kind of "feared" the underground locations in Stalker, gives me still shivers :D

Quote from: Stryker7 on October 17, 2011, 05:09:29 PM
Another wish tweak, is having NON-Exploding arrows (bolts) for my cross-bow. I have the DLC weapons and vehicles. I hardly ever drive vehicles, although I do make a lot of use out of boats. Driving around with headlights on, is hardly stealthy.

Oh yeah I would also like a normal Crossbow, would be just the best stealth weapon - maybe it is possible. And btw. you can turn off the lights when you drive at night ;)

The other things you mentioned like the degradation of the dart rifle or the merc awareness can be modded.

fragger

Quote from: PZ on October 17, 2011, 09:27:49 PM
My usual method is to take out all the mercs in PetroSahel ... to take out the convoy truck.

Isn't it funny, it never even occurred to me to try taking out that convoy from there. That's what I love about this game, the seemingly endless alternatives. There must be as many different ways to do things as there are players to do them :-X

Binnatics

I remember my last approach to Petrosahel was sniping the sniper at one of the tanks (with the dart rifle), and from there snipe the rest of the mercs with his snipergun. Then, what remained was some guys wondering around being affraid of my 'fellow attackers' and I took them down sneeking through the place with my MP5 ready.

Having a silent crossbow should be very nice. Could replace the dart rifle. Guess the crossbow is in the special slot, right?

I've had a lot of fun stealthing around in FC2. Not like you, Stryker, I do use cars and sometimes I love to go berserk into a place(once I approached the Post Office with a maunted grenade launcher AT and blew the whole place down from a nice spot in the eastern hill. That was great, total chaos >:D), but most of the time I sneek into a situation. Love the MP5 for that, and dart rifle for a nice advantage at the start.  :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

nexor

welcome back Stryker, you'll love the few changes that was made to FC2........ :-X
I found a new way of securing a safehouse, I try to sneak up to within 10 paces from the house then run and jump onto the roof, most of the time they heard me but don't know where I am    :anigrin:

Stryker7

Quote from: Binnatics on October 18, 2011, 08:52:28 AM
I remember my last approach to Petrosahel was sniping the sniper at one of the tanks (with the dart rifle), and from there snipe the rest of the mercs with his snipergun. Then, what remained was some guys wondering around being affraid of my 'fellow attackers' and I took them down sneeking through the place with my MP5 ready.

That is the exact way I played it in my first playthough. Each time I play I like to try new things, I ALWAYS try to take out snipers first thing, after I recon the area. There may be a patroling guard I end up having to take out first, but the sniper is always highest priority. But we do still think alike,

Quote from: Binnatics
Having a silent crossbow should be very nice. Could replace the dart rifle. Guess the crossbow is in the special slot, right? 

I dont know, but I am about to find out. This is going to be my first priority mod. I will bet that any and all stealth players would make extensive use of the stealth capabilities it would provide.

Quote from: Binnatics
I've had a lot of fun stealthing around in FC2. Not like you, Stryker, I do use cars and sometimes I love to go berserk into a place(once I approached the Post Office with a maunted grenade launcher AT and blew the whole place down from a nice spot in the eastern hill. That was great, total chaos >:D ), but most of the time I sneek into a situation. Love the MP5 for that, and dart rifle for a nice advantage at the start.  :angel:

I will use vehicles, I usually use them to cover a lot of ground quickly, and usually on the outskirts of the map, but if I use a wheeled vehicle,  I always park in a strategicly thought out escape route, and if all hell breaks loose, I can make a quick get away. The post office, yeah, I try to stealth that as much as possible, but. NO one loves a good explosion more than me. And there is just TOO much fun to be had at the post office. The ENTIRE layout calls for a lot of noise, fire and explosions.

I love to carry IEDs in stealth mode, place them to get the most bang for the buck, get up on one of the elevated positions with a loud sniper rifle and a grenade launcher. Use the sniper rifle, so that all the mercs take cover, usually within proximity of my IEDs, and if I have set up right, once they take cover I detonate the IEDs. But when I open up with the sniper rifle, I usually get a rush of vehicles, which the grenade launcher is for, then back to the sniper rifle for settting off tanks and such, and then the IEDs go booomm. Then mop up.

One thing though. If I can do all of this, without destroying the explosives and one of the ammo piles, that is a real bonus and quite an accomplishment.
Quote from: fragger on October 17, 2011, 09:20:29 PM
Hey Stryker7, haven't heard form you for a while! Welcome back :)

Just talking about that convoy mission, that's one of my faves too. I use a similar approach, except I make a roadblock using the two vehicles at the GP parked bumper to bumper across the road, both with IEDs stuck on them and with one or two more on the road leading up. If I have time and can manage it, I'll roll out a barrel or two from the GP and add them to the mix. Then I hightail it up the nearby slope and hide behind the tree with a crossbow or a GL to take out any of the buggers that don't get theirs in the initial explosions >:D

Glad to be back, and thanks.

Yeah, we are an innovative bunch, or as they say in the miltiary, we adapt, we overcome. we find a way to win.

That is why I love playing games like FC2. Brains are a neccesity to get the most out of it.

Binnatics

Quote from: Stryker7 on October 18, 2011, 12:52:06 PM
That is why I love playing games like FC2. Brains are a neccesity to get the most out of it.

:-X ^-^

Stryker7

Quote from: nexor63 on October 18, 2011, 12:06:53 PM
welcome back Stryker, you'll love the few changes that was made to FC2........ :-X
I found a new way of securing a safehouse, I try to sneak up to within 10 paces from the house then run and jump onto the roof, most of the time they heard me but don't know where I am    :anigrin:

Just another fine example of working with your brains, so that you get the upper hand, Now if we could just knock a whole in the roof, drop in a couple of grenades, and then wait for the people inside to rush out into our waiting ARMS  (ie MP5 , AKs, etc ...)   >:D

nexor

:laugh: ....I love that one,  Art we need you, you need to figger a way so we can drop a grenade or two thru the roof of a building, man..... can you see them coming out the door three at a time!!! it'll look like primary school coming out         :laugh:  :laugh:

Art Blade

as long as there is just an ever so tiny crack in the wall or roof, we can squeeze a grenade through :) Use the M-79 to do it.

two examples. The mission with the Oasis gold when you're supposed to kill the King, his son will be waiting in your safehouse. I killed that prince inside making use of a crack in the wall (the door didn't fit 100%). Or, in Bowa, the airfield near marina, the hangar Reuben uses to try to talk us to death. In it is one of those pesky generators (I hate those generators) but the hangar is closed (when you're inside you cannot use weapons). I found a crack in the wall at the back where I can see the generator, squeeze my M-79 in (more likely, press it against the wall so the crack is in the centre of the barrel) and BOOM..  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Heeheeh, you always have funny avatars Nexor!!!  :-X Thisone reminds me of Tintin, but in a very, "high" way  :angel:

Art, you got back to (one of) your old avatar(s)? I recognize the figure between these ax blades  ;)

Art Blade

indeed, I gave it some scope (now you do see the blades)  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

thanks mate, sometimes our TV reception is like that      :-(

Tags:
🡱 🡳