Name puns

Started by mmosu, December 08, 2009, 07:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

I'm picking up on a lot of name puns in Borderlands.  Some of you I'm sure have noticed them, and I think Fiach mentioned some of these already.  This is what I've got so far:

You get sent to retrieve cigars for a Bruce McClane - Bruce Willis played detective John McClane in the Die Hard movies.

In Dahl, you square off against Mad Mel - Mel Gibson played Mad Max in the Mad Max movies

The Durden brothers run the fighting arenas that you find scattered around - Tyler Durden is the name of the main character in Fight Club.

I'm sure there are probably some others, let me know if there are any I've missed so far...

PZ

Good observation mmosu  :-X

Fiach

WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

fragger

Quote from: Fiach on December 09, 2009, 12:54:13 AM
Mad Mel :)

Just doesn't have the same ring though, does it? Sounds more like a ticked-off prom-queen ;D

RedRaven

Not come across any myself yet but will keep eyes and ears open for them, these little popular culture references just add to the wackiness that is BL :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mmosu

Just caught another good one:
You get sent by a bandit named Taylor to kill his brother in Janystown.  While talking to you he describes the place as "a wretched hive of scum and villany", which is, of course, a line from Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars.  Not really a name pun per se, but just another bit of pop culture

JRD

Quote from: mmosu on December 09, 2009, 03:09:26 PM
Just caught another good one:
... "a wretched hive of scum and villany", which is, of course, a line from Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars...

Err... in which movie? What bit?
I like Obi-Wan's lines... specially in episodes 1-3, they made him a lot more funny there (and a bit of a whinning baby in ep. 2, but whatever)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

It was Mos Eisley (sp?) he was referring to.

fragger

That's it, "Mos Eisley Spaceport". When Obi-Wan referred to it as "a wretched hive of scum and villainy" he'd obviously never frequented a certain establishment in Sydney called "The Charles Hotel" on a Saturday night. That place made the cantina in Star Wars look like a soup kitchen. I know, I used to hang out there (and I'm still alive - call me a survivor, or just plain lucky). It's not there any more, it was bulldozed to build a new condo - well, that was the council line. Personally I think it was levelled mainly as a service to the public ;D

mmosu

You guys got the right movie - funny part is that in the game right after you wipe out the "scum and villany" the first time, you have to go right back and take out the next guy in charge, as it turns out he is worse than the first guy. 

Fiach

Handy to know thanks mate :)

mmosu

Found another one, but this is only going to make since if you've seen the movie A Christmas Story...
In the movie, all the main character wants for Christmas is "an official Red Rider range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time".  The kid schemes the entire movie on how to get his parents to get him one for Christmas, but his efforts are always met with "no, you'll shoot your eye out". 
So, during the mission where you go after the third piece of the vault key there is a building in a back alley of new haven that is open that wasn't before.  Inside there is an elevator that goes underground, and down there is a room with a few enemies and a Christmas tree.  Under the tree are two weapons crates, and in one of the crates is a rifle called "Rider" with red text on it's stats page advising you not to shoot your eye out!  If you've seen the movie you will also appreciate that there is a lamp made out of a leg on a nearby table.  Plus, in the boss fight that is soon to come, critical hits can be scored by shooting the creature in it's eyes!  Someone at Gearbox put a lot of effort into that one!!  :-X

Fiach

Never saw that movie, but what an awesome easter egg! Nice find mate :)

mmosu

One more popped up last night:
When you fight Baron Flynt, he first unleashes his personal goon squad on you, which, in addition to about a dozen Psycho's that bum rush you all at once, includes two hulking neanderthals named Hans and Franz.  This is a reference to the "Pumping Up with Hans and Franz" sketches on Saturday Night Live that starred Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon wearing grey sweatsuits and lifting belts and talking in bad Austrian accents. 

Fiach

mmosu

just stumbled across a neat page of the Borderlands Wiki, it has all of the movie/music/book/pop culture references that people have identified listed out:

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Borderlands_pop_culture_references

Art Blade

whoa, that is quite a collection  :-X thanks for the link, mmosu :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Nice find, quite an eclectic source too :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

Bumping the topic  ;D

I know mmosu posted a link to the wiki showing lots of references to movies/music/pop culture in BL, but I like to have those things at OWG as well!  ;)

In New Heaven, Scooter gives you a mission to sink three boats in Treacher's Landing, they are named

- Righteous Man
- Great Vengeance
- Furious Anger

Which, of course, is part of the speech Samuel L. Jackson delivers to his victims right before shooting them in Pulp Fiction!  8)

mmosu

NICE!!  :-X :-X
I don't know if I've seen this one mentioned before, you might be the first one to catch that!

JRD

I just checked wiki and it's already there... too obvious to pass unnoticed!

But I got pretty happy with myself though!!  8) :-D :-D :-D

mmosu

You earned it  ;D :-X

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳