Tested mods

Started by PZ, November 11, 2009, 08:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Below is a maintained list of the mods I've experimented with and can recommend based on my experience.  First, the developers of FO3 used Nvidia graphics hardware to develop the game and recommend that users defrag their hard disk before installation in addition to using good graphics hardware to maximize your experience.  (I'm using a GTX-295, i7 CPU, WD 10k rpm Raptor disk, did not defrag, yet have great performance)

Utilities

• FOMM - must have - Fallout Mod Manager - this utility makes it simple to manage most of the mods - read the documentation of a mod to see if it will w@&k with FOMM.  If it does, then installation is a snap.  Open FOMM, click on the Packages button, and navigate to the compressed mod file you downloaded, and click OK to install the mod - finished!  Click on the mod in the FOMM window and click Activate - from that point on, the mod will be loaded whenever you start the game via FOMM.
  • FOSE - must have - Fallout Script Extender - some mods require this one, and it works seamlessly with FOMM once you have it installed.  Check the mods you intend to install carefully - some will require this script extender and others do not - I'd recommend that you have it running at all times anyway, because it doesn't harm anything, and you don't need to remember to start it for any particular mod.
OK, now on to the fun stuff - the mods that will change the appearance and functions of the game.  Keep in mind that this is just a partial list (growing) and that it is only the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

Weapons

• Sniper rifle - a .50 cal rifle that carries a huge punch.  Still looks just like the stock version, but you can explode the wasteland raiders with a single round.
  • Zoom your scoped weapons - using the mouse wheel
Changing your character (or NPC)

• Sprinting - installs a feature that is glaringly missing from FO3 - the ability to run - works the same as in FC2 - you fatigue dependent on your health.
  • Combat Enhanced Tactics - improves the ability of the NPCs to combat - rather than just standing there firing, they will duck, take cover, etc - works well.  An added benefit is that your ability to jump is improved.
  • Art's mod - the best part is how I don't need to worry about my dog (I love my dog)
Changing the environment

• Underground Hideout - definitely my favorite addition so far - a must have in my book!  This is the best "home" for your character I have encoutered and has turned the game from an "OK" one to a game that I'm beginning to appreciate almost as much as FC2 (especially with some of the other mods below)
  • Fellout - a mod that changes the color of the environment.  I easily tired of the bland greenish tint of the environment, so this was an excellent addition.
  • Terrain Pack - will change the basic textures of ricks, metal surfaces and much more - the difference was astounding.
  • Green World - probably makes the biggest difference in how you view the environment - adds green foliage in trees, grasses and weeds, etc.
  • MTC Wasteland Travelers - adds NPCs which travel between cities, engage battles, living an dying in the wasteland.  The wasteland is not not nearly so devoid of life.
  • Clear Skies - changes the dull desolate sky into a pleasant blue - the night has also been improved. Do not use this mod if you use Fellout.
Maps

• Printable maps - check out these beautiful vector-based maps that you can print and keep by your side just like D_B's famous FC2 maps
  • Flash Map - I like to keep this application open on another screen so I instantly can find out almost anything that needs to be found in the wasteland.
  • No Scan Lines or Distort Effect On Pipboy - this is a fantastic mod - I really disliked the scan lines on the map in the PIPBoy, and now they are gone.  I combined this mod with the high definition color map (the one with the colored markers) and now have a fantastic looking map in game.  No more do I see that low resolution awful green glowing out of focus map.
  • Color Hi-Detailed Map - using this mod with the No scan line mod above is highly recommended if you dislike the standard in-game PIPBoy map.
  • PIPBoy Lighting Pack - an essential if you use an environment changing mod like Fellout in which the sky darkens realistically at night.  Your flashlight can now change to a variety of effective distances.

Art Blade

Thanks for all your efforts and bringing this to our attention :)  :-X

Gee, my mod's been mentioned  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

PZ, maybe consider this :)
QuoteFellout is not going to w@&k with any of the following mods
Darker Nights: Never going to w@&k together.
Clear Skies: Never going to w@&k together.
Wasteland Moods Series: Never going to w@&k together (but an excellent alternative).
Anything else that changes weather conditions except EWR.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Excellent reminder Art - I forgot about some of those incompatibilities.  By the way, if you see something missing/incorrect/need to be added to the tested mods post, please don't hesitate to make the changes.   ;)

I'm heading into a busy w@&k schedule again for a while and may have problems finding enough time to play  :'(

Art Blade

Sure, will do :) I'm currently into like a 10-12hrs/day schedule, tell me about it  :( Anyways, there's always a little space for some gaming  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳