A small gripe on AC3 accuracy

Started by mandru, June 07, 2012, 10:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

It's a small matter but it's not the type of error I would expect from UBI.  At least for the AC series their background research is solid (even if subjectively re-tinted) to support their story line.

In one scene in the videos clips our character secures meat for the Revolutionary encampment.  It appears to be part of a side quest.  Once the buck has been dropped and the meat secured there are wolves that attack.  ???

I'm sorry but that is utter rubbish.  :angry-new:

In the history of the Americas there has never been a credible account of a healthy wolf attacking a human.  Any human!  Little Red Riding hood and her Granny comes out of Europe and are not exactly credible for that matter.  ::)

Hunger on its own has never been enough to cause a wolf attack as portrayed and the video clip shows there is an abundance of available game present.  Wild game plentiful enough that the kill we take is reserved for a huge buck.

Sick or injured wolves when confronted have attacked humans.  Wolf pups or wolf/mix (with domestic dogs) raised in human homes without the influence of wolf society to allow them to develop proper identity and cement a firm concept of proper societal interaction will cause varying degrees of schizophrenia in the isolated animal.  At times this condition leads to attacks on humans, often this type of attack is fatal.  Especially when the target is a child and the attacking animal misinterprets casual body language while viewing (from an environmentally flawed perspective) the target as having a lower tier than themselves on the Alpha Wolf arrangement of their instinctive pecking order.

Sorry, in no way does a wild dog or wild dog/mix even if raised in a human home equate as a good pet.  They simply lack the temperance of nature that thousands of years of domestication has afforded.

I wonder how UBI's culturally sensitive (bend over backwards and kiss even the undeserving backsides on the list) screening board managed to let ill based wolf hatred slip through.  ????   (But enough of my commentary.  >:D  )

I think that instead of being attacked by the wolves there are two things that would have been more likely:

1. The wolves would have hung back hoping for the offal left behind from a human's fresh kill.
2. Connor(?) as an American native would have been aware of the presence of brother wolf (plural) and left something as an offering for them.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Good post mandru, nice bit of observation :)

Utterly true, what you say about wild dogs vs. domestic. Same goes for bears, big cats, any kind of wild animal - not matter how young they are when they are taken in, no matter how loving an environment they may grow up in, they are not pets, they are wild animals and they live in the wild all their lives. More than a few people have learned that the hard way...

I'm reminded of a story I heard once (possibly an urban myth, unless any American members can verify it). I think it was in Yellowstone. A bear had gotten onto a picnic table or some such and appeared to be quite tame as some people were handing it food and it was just taking it off them quite non-aggressively. So some Einstein of a woman thought how cute it would be if she coated her baby daughter's hand in honey and got a photo of the bear licking it off. So she tried it, and the bear bit the little girl's hand off.

I wouldn't believe anyone could be that stupid if I hadn't seen similar things myself, like this thickhead I once saw at a nature park who apparently thought that a kangaroo was being cute and friendly with him until he almost got disemboweled by it. If a kangaroo stands straight up on its hind legs and puts its forepaws on your shoulders, it does not mean that it wants to dance with you. It was just lucky for that guy that he was wearing a heavy jacket and merely copped some bruising and a winding. Those things can tear your guts out with their hind claws if you're silly enough to let yourself get in a clinch with one (the stuffing was actually ripped out of the bloke's jacket). They'll steady themselves by gripping your shoulders, then they'll balance on their tail and use the long sharp claws on their rear legs to gouge your tripes out. They're timid by nature but they don't take any crap from anybody.

That guy learned the hard way.

Quote from: mandru  on June 07, 2012, 10:05:36 AM
I wonder how UBI's culturally sensitive (bend over backwards and kiss even the undeserving backsides on the list) screening board managed to let ill based wolf hatred slip through.  ????

:-()

I guess they're counting on the wolves not suing them for slander (PETA might have a go though...)

PZ

I'm hunting in the American wilderness and have recently been accosted by three wolves in sequence.  Not too much trouble though, I dispatch them with my trusty bow, skin them for their pelt and meat, and even retrieve my arrow.  >:D

mandru

Heh heh, wolf meat?  Man bites dog.  :laugh:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Art Blade

whenever someone mentions wolves, a one-liner springs to mind:

"Eat moose, over a billion wolves can't be wrong." :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳