Impressions

Started by deadman1, October 17, 2009, 07:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehsam016

Ok sorry for the necro, but since the price for this has dropped, i'm kind of interested in getting it. I just need a straight up opinion from some of you on how good it is. I love tactical games, and this one sorta looks straight up my alley. So is it good enough to buy, or is it one of those game you have to rent/play the demo first to really get a strong opinion on whether to buy it or not? If not, are there any other games sort of like this one with big open environments that ARE worth getting? Kinda lookin for a new game to keep me busy this weekend.

JRD

After a while, I think I can come up with a non biased opinion... it`s a great game, but I was expecting more!

Ok, expectations were high regarding this particular game for me... I was waiting for it for quite a long time. I`ve played the original OFP1 and if you have also, I must tell you, this is nothing like that one.

Most missions are time-based. Either you accomplish your objective in time, or you fail. Which is quite frustrating for an open world game (you just can`t explore it). It also prevents you from just staying low studying the enemy or terrain before make your move.

Not a lengthy campaign either, so expect to beat this game in some 15-20 hours.

As for gameplay, well, commands are much more user friendly than the original and some new features are excellent - like calling artillery attacks or saving them for later on. AI is smart but sometimes they get in your way during firefights. Enemy AI seems very scripted due to the nature of the game... you are supposed to do something and not taking too long, so you don`t have too many options as where or how can you tackle missions.

All in all I`d say.. buy it only if it is really cheap, otherwise, wait for the end of the year... this game will be in the discount shelf for sure!

I too am looking for a nice tactical shooter and ended up buying an Operation Flashpoint Cold War Crysis + Resistence bundle really cheap and am working my way through those blocky graphics of Everon all over again!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

tehsam016

Thanks for the small review/opinion, it's greatly appreciated. After going through countless reviews of it i do indeed think i'll wait a while for this one. I've been looking into a couple other games as well, but i'm sure no one around here has played them -Crackdown 2, The Saboteur, and maybe a few others I can't think of atm. Price isn't a concern for me as i'm most likely trading in Splinter Cell Conviction(kinda disappointing). If nothing catches my eye i'll most likely just settle for Hitman:BM, as i've played that on PC and the original xbox, and loved both.

JRD

I'm also playing HM:BM... great game.

Another tactical shooter is ArmA 2 which I'm sure you've already checked. It starts as a great sequel of OFP, but they kind of lost it somewhere during development. Too buggy and some missions are just plain boring.

Make a war tactical sim, yeah, but please, make it fun, make it enjoyable. I don't want to know how it feels like to be in a real war, I'm just sitting by my PC trying to play some games!  ;)

To be honest, there is a huge community waiting for a decent war sim out there only there's not even a shadow of one in the horizon  :'(

And those games you mentioned, I'm not familiar with Crackdown, but maybe if you go ahead and post something about them you might find someone also interested or even familiar with them... in the best case scenario, some of use might even get one of those and before you know it, we'll have another board to discuss  :-() :-() :-()

OFP:CWC and Resistance are hugely modded, so you can have better graphics and infinite campaigns and missions to play. It works as a fix for me sometimes, when I want to get serious in FPS

Art Blade

Quote from: tehsam016 on August 20, 2010, 09:33:55 AMi'm sure no one around here has played them .. The Saboteur

well, we have that game listed and reviewed here  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Excellent read, JRD - I'd agree with your opinion, and felt the same way as I played what little I did.  I just can't seem to get into games where things are timed - at least where the timing is so short for my gaming skills that I never make it through without using cheats of some kind.

RedRaven

Tried to play this on the PS3 last night. Played single mission option, the first mission in the game with the result being complete and total failure. My 4 man team (or Me and 3 Artificial Idiots) managed to kill 1 enemy before I was taken out in 2 shots.

So my immediate impression of the game is that I need a heck of a lot more practice!!!

It took me several minutes to think about looking in the book for how to turn off the flash light I'd turned on without realising what had done to turn it on. 

Despite being utterly useless it is one game I am determined to master, no doubt there will be many more epic fails before that happens."
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

JRD

That`s a game I eagerly anticipated but felt quite frustrated in the end... the reason: open world my @ss  >:((

Four men lead by you, a huge island but all missions are time based at some point so you barely have time to explore, try new crazy stuff or study a strategy. Their (devs) bottom line is that you are just part of a major coordinated assault party so if you fail to accomplish your part of the mission before  the rest of the assault team gets in position, they won`t wait for you.  :-\\

Overall it looks nice, sound is cool and the commands are quite user friendly, only thing is mission architecture... I felt like I didn`t have time to have fun during gameplay...  :D

RedRaven

It has nothing on Arma2 for open-ness, but looks nice for a tactical / realistic based shooter. Will persevere until the PS3 controller hits the wall like a speeding bullet then sulk for a bit I guess.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

the only real fun was the user-made sniper level.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Damn it... the game has nothing on Operation Flashpoint either... I bought a GOTY edition of the original OFP1 + Resistance pack for 5 pounds when I was in UK just for the sake of playing the war sim I was craving  >:((

blocky but goody  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳