New pizza method

Started by PZ, May 11, 2013, 10:55:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

It is often not time efficient to do pizza after w@&k so grilling the delectable treats is the best alternative.  My sweetie developed a new technique which at first mention did not appear to be too appealing, but turned out to be simply delicious.

We intended to do pizza Marguerite on the BBQ grill, which does a superior method of developing the crust to everything I have tried, including the wood fired oven.  However, when we tasted our creation, we were a bit disappointed with the rather bland results (we are spicy, salty kind of people).

The new method is this:  hand press the dough into a pizza crust (we did a sopes-shaped version), and then cook it to crisp perfection on one side.  Before turning it over to load the toppings, brush the top (which will become the bottom) with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.  Turn the crust over and load with your favorite toppings.

The resulting pizza will have a crust as crisp as a cracker (if you like) and will have a salt/pepper bottom.  Although I've never actually thought about it before, your tongue first experiences the bottom of the crust.  The pizzas we grilled last night were absolutely delicious!  Crisp crust, and a salt/pepper blast to the tongue much like you would experience with a saltine cracker, then the blast of flavors from the toppings.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Oh man, that sounds good!!

I was inspired by the other pizza topic you started, the one that states the pizza crust to be merely a vehicle. Brilliant quote, had to make it happen ;)

I gave this item a thought, and suddenly a wonderful plan came to mind... My wife is totally crazy about hyper-healthy food lately, and so is she of fish. I said I wanted to make pizza, and she wasn't too enthusiast, telling me something like "nevermind, I'll prepare myself some salmon or something". Of course that stuck me, but relief came with the brilliant vehicle-idea: I decided to make here a salmon pizza ^-^

Here's what I did:

The dough was as usual. For her topping I cut fresh salmon into small pieces and marinated those for an hour in the following mix: Lemon juice of one lemon, mashed garlic (4 toes), fresh chive and basil, black pepper and a finely cut fresh red chili pepper and of course some nice extra vergine olive oil from Italy.
On the side, I cut some pommodore in slices and a piece of zucchini. I cut some fennel and spring union in small pieces and for cheese I chose smoked Italian cheese. This cheese doesn't melt, but will get very soft in the oven and gives its smoked flavour to the entire dish, err, pizza. Careful, not too much, it's strong stuff!
I formed a round pizza crust and armed it with the slices of tomato and zucchini, and then put the fennel and the spring union in between. I covered the vegetables with the marinated salmon, and finished it with the smoked cheese dices. I put the vehicle in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes and that was it.

I made this pizza exclusively for my wife (I don't support fish :angel:) but she stated that it was absolutely delicious!  ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

very nice, Binnatics, and a great idea :) :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Great tips you guys! I like them all!

I like to hold pizza parties here at home or at friend's houses. The idea is to prepare a lot of dough and every guest brings what they like to have on a pizza. I also prepare a large pan of tomato sauce mildly seasoned just to go along with all toppings people bring.

We then cut, slice and chop all the ingredients and put them on display on the kitchen table (the kitchen is always the best place in a party  ^-^ ).

Imagine the table with all sorts of seasons, herbs, cheese types, vegtables, sausages, chopped meat... all very colourful and stimulating to your senses!!

Put some good music, pour the wine or beer and everybody start to prepare pizzas with all the ingredients there are. It is incredibly funny to see what kind of combinations people can come up with once you let them choose freely what to do in a ludic way!!

Kids love to do it too and it is not dangerous at all if an adult is nearby!!

Tip: once all guests are done with pizza, prepare a pizza like this:
- Open the dough as usual but put no sauce in it.
- Slice apples and top the dough with the slices
- Pour sugar and cinnamon over it
- on the edges, spread some jelly and fold it to make a thick, jelly stuffed border.
- Take it to the oven as usual... ready when the borders are golden!
- If you want to make it even yummier, serve it with a ball of vanilla ice cream on top of the hot pizza!!!!

(works well wit bananas too  :-X )
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Very nice, JRD  :-X :)

there is probably no other site on the net that can make me as hungry as this one. I need food, NOW  :-D

PZ

Excellent ideas Binn and JRD!  :-X

New ideas never are far away when I'm on OWG  ^-^

Art Blade

Binnatics

Great idea JRD, I'd like to give a party like that once :) And good idea for a dessert! Sounds just like pancakes, but there you won't be able to get jelly stuffed borders, yammie!!
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Tags:
🡱 🡳