Brink

Started by JRD, August 19, 2010, 03:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Sounds like a bunch of stupid kids  ????

JRD

So it was pretty much a lonesome multi player experience?  ????
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

I gave MP another try, this time I used filters to find a suitable server (there were more than 1,000 servers!). Low ping, few players and allowed same as well as higher ranking players.. and that was much better. Still no one used headsets but the human team mates were a lot more supportive. Funny, if there aren't enough humans, then bots will fill in the blanks. And they're, as always, very helpful which is remarkable.

The maps can be quite packed with details..
[smg id=3347 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK MP 001"]

Did a couple of missions, one of which as a good guy. However, gaining XP points, I unlocked yet another couple of outfits. Still the same guy.. but hell, this game is fun regarding all those crazy looks and outfits, other players and the AI make good use of all that stuff, too :-()

[smg id=3346 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK MP 002"]

Here I'm capturing a command post.
[smg id=3348 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK MP 003"]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Impressive map - I like the dilapidated metal/wood appearance reminiscent of FC2 and the fallout games.

How does the server w%&k?  i.e., do you set up your own and then publish to some central directory?  You mentioned bots filling in the blanks.  If one were to set up a server and play alone, would bots populate the world?   ????

Art Blade

One thing I should mention: You don't have to create any account, you just connect with your game, done. :)

Servers seem to w%&k like they always do, i.e. you click "internet" and then a list will be shown with servers currently present or you can start your own public or private server. I haven't looked into the details of how to start a server of your own but judging from the list of servers available I'd say there are a number of possibilities. For instance, I saw players: 1/8, 2/4, 7/16 and so on and given the fact that there are always two teams of eight players I think there is no other way than filling in the blanks with bots. You can't really tell who's who unless you check the scoreboard to see if a "human" symbol is shown behind a player's name. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Looks like your guy has some ink Art!  Someone said that clothes and such can freely be changed but things like scars and tattoos can't - is that the case?

Art Blade

True, but not true. I'll explain:

When you start off creating a new character (it depends on your very first choice, defend or escape from the Ark, whether you become that good or bad guy by default, then which archetype (face) you want to use and the skin tone, then which voice (actor) you prefer when you "talk" in game) you may add either scars or tattoos to the face and independently to the body, taken from a long list to choose from, or do nothing (pristine body and/or face). What a long sentence. Hehe  :-()

Here are a few pics that show the process of creating a character. You'll notice that there is a massive warning about tattoos and scars (and archetype) being permanent. All the rest can be modified at any time.

[smg id=3350 type=link align=center width=300]
[smg id=3351 type=link align=center width=300]
[smg id=3352 type=link align=center width=300]
[smg id=3353 type=link align=center width=300]
[smg id=3354 type=link align=center width=300]
[smg id=3355 type=link align=center width=300]
[smg id=3356 type=link align=center width=300]

Binnatics

Quote from: mmosu on May 22, 2011, 06:51:16 AM
Big Ugly Multiplayer Party?

^+-+

What about Bang Up My Parts?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Finished editing my previous post. Of course you still had to post despite the warning I left while I was editing  ;D

PZ

Any way to age your character by 50 years so that the kids playing will see how awful those tats are going to look when they're old and wrinkled?  :-()

mmosu

Maybe - one of those archetypes was called "The Geezer"  :-()

Binnatics

Google pictures, type: old man tattoo; first pic. I found it too awful to actually download the pic to my harddisk, let alone upload it hear  >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

That's what games are good for: do what you'd (probably) never do in real life, look god-like and stay young forever. In case of (usually) sudden death, get reborn instantly while keeping your looks and memory. I don't care about real life tattoos. But in games, why not.. they're just a click away, perfectly done in an instant and won't even hurt.  :-()

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on May 23, 2011, 09:11:54 PM
Maybe - one of those archetypes was called "The Geezer"  :-()

Funny.. reminds me of Fiach's title. He's wearing it for quite some time now and no one seems to have noticed, not even him  ;)

mmosu

I noticed  ;D

I had just assumed you did it Art - did inspiration for that come from the jab-session after Binnatics was made a senior?

Art Blade

mmosu

Thought so  :-() :-X

We'll see if he notices now . . . but he might just forget what he was talking about and shuffle off to the kitchen while muttering under his breath  :-D

Art Blade

Some people seem to be avoiding topics they're not interested in like the plague. I notice some people "marking topics as read" which they obviously haven't read, so comments like these pass unnoticed. I'm the complete opposite, I read all the stuff being posted in any board  :-()

fragger

Me too. I may not necessarily respond, but I like to read everything, mainly because given the way we weave around topics I don't want to miss any "gems" (much like my FC2 playing style) ;)

Art Blade

I've just realised that the image quality is much better if I use "sharpen after resampling" which I'm happy to have found out.

Here some new outfits in place..
[smg id=3357 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK SP 019"]

..and here, to the left of the character, you can see the load of special abilities I've gathered so far. Each little icon stands for whatever kind of improvement such as being able to equip team mates with kevlar vests (armour) or upgrading command posts or installing turrets. :)
[smg id=3358 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK SP 020"]

Binnatics

Indeed some variety... I've never seen a game with so many ways of customizing a character. GTA San Andreas came close to this; tattoos, heardress, beirds, muscles, clothes (lots) but certainly not in this graphic way. And not so creative, but that may b the hand of Art  :-X

Art Blade

cheers :-()

Here, one more funny word on the helmet.
[smg id=3361 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK SP 021"]

fragger

Another new avatar!? Geez Art, you've changed your face more times than Doctor Who ;D

Art Blade

^+-+

Here more funny appearances  :-()

[smg id=3362 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK SP 022"]
[smg id=3363 type=link align=center width=500 caption="BRINK SP 023"]

fragger

^+-+

Either that guy is about ten feet tall, or he has a head the size of a softball :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳