Dennis, what are you standing around all day and night for?

Started by Knightmare, September 09, 2013, 01:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightmare

After many tries, I finally managed to liberate the first outpost undetected (last tutorial mission).  To kill the dog, I used a cooked grenade.  I used this video as a guide:
Far Cry 3 Walkthrough - Master Difficulty, Experienced Player - Part 4, Secure the Outpost

After I left and later returned several times, and after a few day/night cycles had passed, Dennis and the two Rakyat warriors were always still in the spot were the mission begins!  As they are supposed to rush in once the enemies detect the player,  it's likely the devs didn't include the possibility of an undetected capture into the mission's scripting.  Either that, or I somehow broke the scripting by restarting the mission at least 20 times.

Here are some screenshots:

[smg id=6246 type=preview align=center caption="Why are you standing around all day, Dennis?"]
[smg id=6247 type=preview align=center caption="Dennis checking out the ATV."]

Update: After I loaded a game, Dennis finally disappeared from there.

Art Blade

Well done, tried that myself but failed. Need to check that vid  :) :-X

As to the screenies, not as "proof" as such but for the fun factor, it would be nice :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Nice discovery Knightmare :-X

I've never been able to do the tutorial outpost undetected, the bloody dog always gives me away :D

Knightmare

Don't go near the dog, as it will smell you.  You'll need to have it tagged, and stay away from it until you've taken down all the pirates.  Once they're all dead, get the dog from a distance with a cooked grenade.

Art Blade

fragger, also: don't shoot or your friendly Rakyat idiot crew will join, which means lure one guard out of the compound with a stone and take him down, do the same with all the rest of the pirates, and then finish off the dog just as Knightmare said.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I've done that and gotten down to just the dog once, but the mongrel got a visual on me before I could get at him :-() Another time I managed to get the dog with the machete without alerting the pirates, but then a pirate who I'd neglected to tag spotted me. D'oh...

mandru

I've noticed in FC3 that a dog's ability to hear is a lot more acute than that of a pirate or privateer.  A dog standing next to his human counterpart will react to a thrown stone and come to investigate that the human would never notice.  If the human does react as well wait until he resets to the "at ease" condition (he'll make a comment about it being nothing), returns to his post and you can try again throwing the rock farther away the next time.

I think it's outpost AM12 on the North island (there's komodos as key area preditors) that consists of a radio tower guarded by 3 pirates and several dogs.  Using a large boulder that's to the S.W. of the outpost perimeter I've been able to maintain cover and use rocks to draw all of the dogs into an out of the line of sight location (without alerting the pirates) to where I could drop them with silenced assault rifle.  Fortunately the dog's don't react to another dog being shot (even if it's right next to him) the way Vaas' or Hoyt's men do.  :-D

That process does take a bit of time to pull off but that just means that the local komodos have a chance to move in on the base and create their own special magic.  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

That AM12 outpost has six dogs in there if I remember correctly and getting the 1,500XP only requires you to stay undetected which means, they must not see you (the Amanaki outpost is different because firing any weapon will cause your freak warrior friends to storm the shop) Therefore it's OK to drive the dogs mad and make them run out of the outpost while you take them out one by one, preferably with a silenced sniper. Then finish off the rest, it doesn't matter whether or not they are alerted, just stay out of sight :)

Binnatics

Quote from: Knightmare on September 09, 2013, 03:55:19 PM
Don't go near the dog, as it will smell you.  You'll need to have it tagged, and stay away from it until you've taken down all the pirates.  Once they're all dead, get the dog from a distance with a cooked grenade.

I managed to get it undetected too, the EXACT same way!! :-X And indeed used rocks to lure the pirates away one by one. The dog was the bottleneck until I got the idea to use the grenade I had in my pocket 8)

AM12 was for me one of the hardest outposts to obtain undetected. I think I tried it a dozen times very playthrough, until I realised it didn't make much difference how many freaking xp you collect. And then found out even conquering it the noisy way it wasn't easy at all :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I usually kill dogs first, all of them, because they are easy to get as long as they don't know you're nearby but if you don't know where they are while you are after the pirates, those dogs are VERY likely to spoil the fun for you  :-D

mandru

????

I kill the dogs because I like killing them.  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳