Good way to make bread!

Started by Abletile, June 16, 2013, 03:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abletile

This guy is very much into his baking and here he shows a video of him making bread. You can almost smell it mmmmm........

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QpQ9Kd3t5I
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

Art Blade

funny, you guys already know what comes next..

QuoteUnfortunately, this SME music-content is not available in Germany because GEMA has not granted the respective music publishing rights.

:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

I can't watch this video either, which is weird. It turns black and blocks totally.  ????

Edit: I was able to watch the video following the link below it. I really like the way he loves his food ^-^
Dough is such a delicate thing. He handles it gentle like it were a woman :-X

That reminds me: next time when I make a pizza, I want to try to make the dough very moistly, like he does with his bread. I think it will combine good with the fast way of cooking on the BBQ stone. Quick and with lots of bubbles ^-^ What's your opinion on that PZ?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I can watch the embedded video just fine  ????

I love his method.  The crust and crumb look exactly the way I like it, and greatly resembles the bread we experienced in southern France.

I'm definitely going to ask my wife to try this method, which is one I've never thought of before - I know that you need a steamy environment for a while to set the crust, but his Dutch oven method sounds just perfect!

As to pizza, his dough looks like the consistency my wife makes, which makes perfect crust for any kind of oven.  :-X

Binnatics

Cool, I'll have to move towards the more foggy doughs I think :)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I just sent my wife the link and she just made some dough!  :-X

Binnatics

PZ

We've decided to do a shorter rise (only a few hours), and are now on the second rise just before we bake.  I can't wait to see how the crust turns out.  After all, the crust is the most important part of the loaf.  ^-^

PZ

Final product:  we have never made homemade bread as good as this!  The crust was definitely French style, thick and crisp (we could hear the crust crackling as it cooled and set).  The crumb was chewy and moist - simply perfect bread!

Thanks for posting this most useful recipe, Abletile, +1!

PZ

Today we just made a couple of more loaves.  One in the new Lodge cast iron Dutch ovens, and another in the older enameled cast iron cookware.  You can hear the crust crackling in this video of the bread resting before we cut it

PZ

Here are a few pics of our labor of love; the best bread we have ever baked, and we've been trying for a long time:

Baking in the Lodge cast iron oven
[smg id=6028 width=400 align=center]

This was the first time we prepared anything in this oven, and it turned out very good
[smg id=6029 width=400 align=center]

Ready to cut; the crust is thick and crispy, just like in France
[smg id=6030 width=400 align=center]

We prepared a second loaf in an enameled cast iron oven, but did not preheat it in the oven like we did with the Lodge.  It actually rose a bit, and the crust turned out even better
[smg id=6031 width=400 align=center]

Crackling while cooling - can't wait to see how it tastes!
[smg id=6032 width=400 align=center]

mandru

Looks and sounds really good PZ.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

yep, heard it  :) Being from the Old World and having lived with European bread around me all life long I think I'm qualified to attest your bread a great look.  :-D :-X In Germany we might have the biggest variety of breads. Some say we have more than 200 different types.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

My aunt from Neubekum came to visit decades ago and went down the bread aisles in our grocery stores.  She squeezed each loaf and exclaimed "puff brot!" as she went down the row.

When I visited family in Germany when I was young, the duties of the children each morning was to go to the corner bakery and pick up the brötchen for the morning meal.

The crust of European breads is in my opinion the best in the world, and I am so delighted that we have managed to mimic the delectable treats right in our own kitchen.  The next challenge: San Francisco sour dough  >:D

Art Blade

go for it :-()

who knows. we might end up importing your stuff.

Tags:
🡱 🡳