Get Art to play Portal2 contest

Started by mmosu, April 25, 2011, 08:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on April 28, 2011, 05:32:51 PMKeep in mind the SP and MP stories are sequential, with the SP first, I don't know for sure but there may be elements of the MP story that will be spoilers for the SP story.  Binnatics or anyone else NOT on PSN may be able to comment more on that  :D  >:((

Now that I'm through with both SP and MP, I can comment on that. As far as I am concerned, there are no spoilers. The only thing that shows MP is meant to be played after the SP bit is the presence of different kinds of gel and all that. During the course of the SP bit you'll find time to learn how they w%&k one by one and are given time to adjust your skills accordingly. Those are needed when playing MP.

However, I had to (wanted to) try the hard way and, being a complete noob at that time, not having played either Portal1 or the SP bit of Portal2, it didn't really matter. I found out how the stuff works pretty fast and of course a team partner can still tell you how to use stuff you find for the first time, given he himself already knows what to do with the stuff :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Good pics, Art :) I'm glad you liked the game!

If you're thinking of getting P1, just be aware that it's a shorter game than the newie. Also some of the puzzle elements in P2 are new with that game, such as the gels, the light-bridges and those blue spiral things. You won't find any of those in P1. However P1 has puzzle elements that weren't in the sequel, so it kind of balances out and it's still lots of fun. IMO a few of the puzzles in P1 were actually tougher than those in P2.

And thanks for the MP rundown :-X

Art Blade

welcome :) And thanks, too :)

I actually managed to get my hands on P1. Took some time finding a copy in a shop but as spaceboy mentioned there is an orange box and P1 is in it. Costed only 19€ for HL2:E2,TF2 and... Portal. Not going to touch the other games. It's a German (aka fully censored) version of HL2 and TF2 so.. can't be bothered. The only thing that worries me about Portal1 is.. will it be in English? An option for the language? I really, really hope so as I'm not going to like to hear GLaDOS in a dubbed version.

I'll keep you posted :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

I'm in!

I'm now happily trudging on to get myself killed, probably, in the process of the first proper Aperture Science Test.

Truth be told, I'd be in a foul mood today, in a very  foul mood, if I hadn't found a retail version of Portal1. The game is from 2007 so I consider myself lucky. Even more so because, on top, the game is in English (phew) :)

Yay  :-() :-X

Binnatics

I was actually quite curious about a GlaDOS in German: How funny it would be hearing her say:
"Vielleicht möchtest Du das Ding zu heiraten, da Sie es so viel Liebe. Wollen Sie es zu heiraten? NUN, ICH LASSE DICH NICHT!!!! Wie fühlt sich das?" ^+-+

Thanx to: 'Portal Soundboard' and 'Google translate'  :-D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

Trying to make sense of that: (fist of all, there is a "Sie" and a "Du" and we have to decide whether to use the polite form "Sie" used in conversations between adults like boss and employee or the "Du" form used among friends. Let's use "Sie" as GLaDOS and Chell aren't exactly friends.

"Vielleicht möchten Sie das Ding heiraten, da Sie es so sehr lieben. Wollen Sie es heiraten? NUN, ICH LASSE SIE NICHT! Wie fühlt sich das an?"

;D

Alright.. hehe  ;)

Good to be back to where I have never been.  ;D I'm looking forward to this P1 :)

Binnatics

I totally agree in the 'Sie' in stead of 'Du' thing. Google translate faked me there, but google couldn't have known, so it's my own mistake I'm affraid  :-\\

I just found it funny, since in Holland we still make fun of the German synchronization in old movies every once in a while. Since Dutch people used to watch the greater films on German television in the 80's when we still had like 3 Dutch channels and a lack of good movies shown there... ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I didn't even think about you committing mistakes, it's just the same old story: have a program  translate something and it will fail. Not you  :)

JRD

Funny... just yesterday I realized P1 can be set to Spanish... will try it for fun... I can imagine GLaDOS threatening me in Spanish...

¿Qué estás haciendo? ¿Dónde has estado? Te voy a matar!

^+-+
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Binnatics

"Aj, o, alguien ha partido la torta! Los habia dicho que esperen, pero lo han dividido de todos modos. Hay todavia algo sobrado, si te das prisa en regresar..."  ^+-+

JRD

Maybe GLaDOS will go Ai Caramba! when you hit her with a rocket in the last level

^+-+

Art Blade

Reminds me of FarCry(1) when I played that in Spanish. There were two situations I remember the lines of:

"¡Doyle! Hijo de puta, eres tú, ¡cabrón! Sé donde estás. ¡Estoy dirigiéndome ahora mismo hácia allí! ¡Voy a buscarte y arrancarte la lengua!"  ^+-+

and

"Esos imbéciles. Acaban de escuchar historias sobre un fantasma y ahora, cada vez que se caye una hoja, piensan que alguien está intentando matarles." ^+-+

mmosu

Quote from: Art Blade on May 01, 2011, 03:17:23 PM
OK, time to admit I liked playing Portal2.  :) :-X

I told you all the badgering was for your own good!  :-()

Quote from: fragger on May 01, 2011, 05:34:20 PM
IMO a few of the puzzles in P1 were actually tougher than those in P2.

I agree with that  :-X  I think it was because some of those puzzles were so complex in their simplicity - you would walk into a nearly empty, very sterile looking room and, somehow, you were supposed to get from A to B using . . . what? This big room full of air? It demanded a way of thinking that most gamers (including myself) weren't used to.  In a way the more worn and chaotic environments of P2 tend to direct your eyes to the important elements of the room a little more quickly.  I would guess this was necessary given the much more grand scope and scale of the game.

Art Blade

:)

Currently I'm in chamber 18/19 (probably more to come, but those are the first 19 of P1) and I like it. Interesting. In my case I think it helped that I had played P2 before. :)

spaceboy

no that's it Art,  19 chambers... GLaDOS has cake for you then at the end  ;)

really glad to hear you're liking the Portal games :)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

oh.. now that's a quick game if there aren't more than those "first 19" tests. However, yes, I like those games :)

Portal2 is enormous compared to Portal1 and on top it has another big MP part.  :) :-X

By the way, Binnatics and I played some MP again. We had one chamber where we changed roles -- what had been my part was now his and vice versa and we came up with a different solution for the same chamber. So there apparently isn't always just one solution which is rather interesting to know.  :)

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 03, 2011, 12:49:29 AM
oh.. now that's a quick game if there aren't more than those "first 19" tests.

Keep going, mate... there's a twist somewhere...  ;)

spaceboy

Quote from: JRD on May 03, 2011, 02:34:52 AM

don't listen to JRD Art, just go into the fire pit like GLaDOS asks you to do.  There's nothing you can do about it  ;)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on May 03, 2011, 06:23:20 AM
Quote from: JRD on May 03, 2011, 02:34:52 AM

don't listen to JRD Art, just go into the fire pit like GLaDOS asks you to do.  There's nothing you can do about it  ;)

Sure, there`s where the cake is.............................................................. NOT  :-D

Binnatics

Cakes are usualy backed in ovens right? So don't be scared, just like GlaDOS said the Portal gun can stand the heat ;)

Art Blade

I'm already pit boss (jumped into certain death when politely being asked by Wheatley to do so) and I listened to GLaDOS when she told me (inhaled all sorts of lethal poisons) so I reckon I'm already prepared to do the very same.. do what no one else would.. go face death again (reassembly assured)  >:D

deadman1

oh.. now that's a quick game if there aren't more than those "first 19" tests. However, yes, I like those games :)

Like spaceboy said, don´t listen to JRD  ;). I have just passed the 19th test and this is were the real fun begins  :-()

Art Blade

I very much hoped so.. thanks, deadman  :)

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on May 03, 2011, 01:15:28 PM
...so I reckon I'm already prepared to do the very same.. do what no one else would.. go face death again (reassembly assured)  >:D
So, did you sink into the furnace peacefully, or do...something else?

Glad you enjoyed P1 and 2 also that you were persuaded to give it a go. I only finished P2 a few months ago myself - a case of too many games on the go unfortunately.

New MP content has been available for a while now and a map editor has been added more recently so the players can design levels themselves and share these - all announced in true Aperture style  :)

Perpetual Testing Initiative
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Binnatics

"...and you are the bottleneck!" :laugh:

Heheh, nice introduction. Solid humour. It looks promising. More user-friendly than the beta they released last year. I still get cold sweat remembering my effort in putting together a working button that even looks like a button :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳